Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Museum asks public to help solve mystery

Eldorado
Posted (edited)

"A worn metal tool with a hefty-looking handle, a delicate gadget with pedals, arms and cogs, and a piece of glassware with a snail-like coil in the middle.

"They might seem a motley collection of objects but they have one thing in common – they are all mysteries.

"The objects are among the 7.3m items, from photographs to devices, that form the collection of the Science Museum Group.

"Curators are seeking the public’s help to solve the puzzle of what these items were used for, and the stories behind them."

Full article at the UK Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/jul/19/science-museum-asks-public-to-help-identify-mystery-items

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5

Piney

The one thing looks like a scroll saw. 

• Like 2

South Alabam
1 hour ago, Piney said:

The one thing looks like a scroll saw. 

That seems kind of obvious. What exactly is the problem with their reasoning as to what it is I wonder?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

South Alabam

A lot of these things might be specialty tools used only by certain manufacturers and for a specific task, so their true purpose might never be known. 

• Like 2

Piney
4 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

That seems kind of obvious. What exactly is the problem with their reasoning as to what it is I wonder?

People use CNCs, routers and 3D printers now. Most people don't recognize mine either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oniomancer
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Probably Because it's fitted with a cog instead of a continuous pulley wheel, Like you'd expect. Predates electric speed controls.

The glass doohickeys 2nd down I could look up in the back of my old encyclopedia dictionary. They're Geissler Tubes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geissler_tube

I see somebody on twitter's beaten me to the punch though.

Edited by Oniomancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1