Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's first non-cuttable material created

Still Waters

Researchers from the UK's Durham University and Germany's Fraunhofer Institute claim they've come up with the world's first manufactured non-cuttable material, just 15 percent the density of steel, which they say could make for indestructible bike locks and lightweight armor.

The material, named Proteus, uses ceramic spheres in a cellular aluminum structure to foil angle grinders, drills and the like by creating destructive vibrations that blunt any cutting tools used against it. The researchers took inspiration from the tough, cellular skin of grapefruit and the hard, fracture-resistant aragonite shells of molluscs in their creation of the Proteus design.

https://newatlas.com/materials/proteus-non-cuttable-bike-lock-armor/

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-65976-0

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Uhmmmm... Sorry dear, I lost the key....

~

Nothing is non-cuttable. The angle grinder was doing fine until it hit the ceramic. How about a laser cutter?

• Like 1

When I read the title I thought they invented an indestructible material, I'd say it's cut resistant not non-cuttable.  Someone with a lot of time and cutting discs could still use an angle grinder to cut it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moonman said:

Nothing is non-cuttable. The angle grinder was doing fine until it hit the ceramic. How about a laser cutter?

Not sure how it would fare against a blowtorch or plasma torch either.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 3

On 7/20/2020 at 2:11 PM, Rlyeh said:

Not sure how it would fare against a blowtorch or plasma torch either.

or just a bolt cutter for a wire, a chain or a lock...

Edited by Jon the frog

Hence the reason it's such a pain in the azz to deal with just plain ceramic on it's own.

I'm wondering how many different methods they used on this new material? Diamond is very effective. However, you have to have the right type, shape and size particles for the application.

Worlds first uncuttable substance? I thought that was my exes meat loaf....

• Haha 1

I put these sorts of claims in the "bullet proof glass", "unbreakable lock", "fireproof" category.

Edited by Hammerclaw

Id agree... cut resistant is the better term. And i suspect it probably would cut with a torch even faster then plain aluminum, since theres less aluminum and the ceramic spheres wouldnt prevent melting.

This could be a result of reverse engineering materials collected by the military at the Roswell crash.

Meh, there have been metal and ceramic alloys around since since i was in college 30 years ago. It was just a matter of time before someone thought to pack tiny ceramic spheres in an aluminum matrix.

9 hours ago, DreadLordAvatar said:

This could be a result of reverse engineering materials collected by the military at the Roswell crash.

I prefer to give ourselves a little more credit than that...

I'm thinking a water jet saw would walk right through.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 4:58 PM, Twin said:

I'm thinking a water jet saw would walk right through.

My first thought too.

I've seen one of those in action.  Unreal cutting force!