Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Palestinain Airways

RoofGardener

I was amused to read this story about the Palestinian National air company. 

Called "Palestinian Airways", it has two donated Focker 50 aircraft, and 140 staff. 

The Airline remains a member of the International Civil Aviation Organization, the International Air Transport Association, and the Arab Air Carriers Organization.

Since about 2012, however, it has no airport, and no aircraft.  The Focker's have been leased to Niger. 

But the 140 staff have been on the books ever since. Nice work if you can get it. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 10:00 PM, RoofGardener said:

I was amused to read this story about the Palestinian National air company. 

Called "Palestinian Airways", it has two donated Focker 50 aircraft, and 140 staff. 

The Airline remains a member of the International Civil Aviation Organization, the International Air Transport Association, and the Arab Air Carriers Organization.

Since about 2012, however, it has no airport, and no aircraft.  The Focker's have been leased to Niger. 

But the 140 staff have been on the books ever since. Nice work if you can get it. 

Out of interest, do you have a source for this?

The most recent story I found was from 2018 and it made no mention of staff.

But even if the statement is factually true, what of it? Are you assuming those 140 staff are drawing liveable salaries for doing nothing? Is it possible (a) there are 140 "employees" on the books but all their salaries are being pocketed by a couple of corrupt officials, or (b) there are 140 staff being paid but their salaries are too small to live on, or (c) there are 140 staff who are actually employees but they're not being paid anything.

21 minutes ago, Peter B said:

Out of interest, do you have a source for this?

The most recent story I found was from 2018 and it made no mention of staff.

But even if the statement is factually true, what of it? Are you assuming those 140 staff are drawing liveable salaries for doing nothing? Is it possible (a) there are 140 "employees" on the books but all their salaries are being pocketed by a couple of corrupt officials, or (b) there are 140 staff being paid but their salaries are too small to live on, or (c) there are 140 staff who are actually employees but they're not being paid anything.

Well, there are various sources on the internet if you do a search for "Palestinian Airlines 140". I can't find the original one I came across... but here is one... 

https://www.israellycool.com/2020/07/14/did-you-know-there-is-a-palestinian-airlines-with-140-employees-on-the-books/

The information came from the spending records of the PA, and yes, the 140 staff are still being paid monthly, though it doesn't say how much ? 

Edited by RoofGardener

Unfortunately every 'government' has corrupt scum within it. This case reminds me of my country, nation where absurdities are thriving. Many government agencies are it's own purpose, just a burden for tax payers.

But i feel that there is something more interesting behind this, if we take into account the most popular destination of those few flights. Hmm, i can not trust anything that goes to Saudi Arabia and then comes back.

It would be interesting to know if those employees are payed by Palestinian factions or by Saudis?

Who knows, maybe the employer is located west from Palestine... Nice find, this never crossed my mind its more like a joke.