Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
OverSword

Forced Uighur labor producing face masks

99 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

OverSword

According to several mainstream sources:

Quote

 

Companies producing personal protective equipment (PPE) in China are using Uighur labour to meet growing global demand, according to a New York Times investigation. Before the coronavirus pandemic took hold in March, there were four companies in the Xinjiang region making PPE – this had risen to 51 by the end of June, the Times report states. Xinjiang, northwest China, is home to a large population of Muslim Uighurs who have been repeatedly persecuted by the government.  Human rights groups and governments around the world have recorded a series of attacks on the Uighur minority, including alleged sterilisation programmes, forced labour and “re-education” camps.  According to the Times report, Uighur people detained in these labour camps have been placed in factories during the pandemic to make face masks and other pieces of PPE.    The report states that, of the 51 companies making PPE in Xinjiang in June, at least 17 were participating in government-sponsored labour transfer programmes, which one expert said could be identified as forced labour.  “The rural poor that are being put into factory work are not going by choice,” Amy K. Lehr, of the Center for Strategic and International Studies told the Times. “These are coercive quotas that cause people to be put into factory work when they don’t want to be – and that could be considered forced labor under international law.”

 

Source

edit:  And again the Hill

 

Edited by OverSword
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
South Alabam

My sister got a mask from China in the mail without ordering it, or anything. That seemed suspicious so we through it in the trash. I'd hate to wear it not knowing if it was already infected with the virus.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
1 minute ago, South Alabam said:

My sister got a mask from China in the mail without ordering it, or anything. That seemed suspicious so we through it in the trash. I'd hate to wear it not knowing if it was already infected with the virus.

I don't think any virus would live attached to paper on a journey from the other side of the world.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
South Alabam
13 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I don't think any virus would live attached to paper on a journey from the other side of the world.

It was in one of those plastic on the outside, bubble wrap on the inside things and sealed tight, which was very odd for a single paper mask. Regardless, it is in the trash now.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

My sister got a mask from China in the mail without ordering it, or anything. That seemed suspicious so we through it in the trash. I'd hate to wear it not knowing if it was already infected with the virus.

That's totally creepy. You were smart to throw it out.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor

Makes you wonder how someone in China even got her address to mail it to her.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye

You can't "force" making PPE, it requires highly skilled labor and highly precise production lines. 

Quote

[00.02:04]

~

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Helen of Annoy
10 hours ago, third_eye said:

You can't "force" making PPE, it requires highly skilled labor and highly precise production lines. 

~

 

But, if you're a trumper and as smart as trumpers are, you'd think you can kill two flies with one swat - win trade war with China by badmouthing alone and make gullible people fear masks. 

 

It was not rare that Chinese sellers would add a mask as a gift to your order or contact customers with offer to send you masks. Not sell you masks, send you some masks. So I guess a portion of Americans is simply parroting the urban legend that sprung out of their misunderstanding of courtesy of Chinese sellers. And of course masks will come sealed in plastic, they would be useless if they came dragged through post offices unsealed. 

Edited by Helen of Annoy
On a second thought, yes, it's probably possible that some fanatical trumper idiot is paying for masks to be delivered to random people, just to start the rumours. It's childishly stupid enough to be true.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
1 hour ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Not sell you masks, send you some masks.

That's socialism for you... They're evil... 

:lol:

~

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
14 hours ago, third_eye said:

You can't "force" making PPE, it requires highly skilled labor and highly precise production lines. 

~

 

HIGHLY SKILLED????? Not to make face masks.  Automated sewing machines.  Load the material in one side a mask comes out the other. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
3 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

But, if you're a trumper and as smart as trumpers are, you'd think you can kill two flies with one swat - win trade war with China by badmouthing alone and make gullible people fear masks. 

 

It was not rare that Chinese sellers would add a mask as a gift to your order or contact customers with offer to send you masks. Not sell you masks, send you some masks. So I guess a portion of Americans is simply parroting the urban legend that sprung out of their misunderstanding of courtesy of Chinese sellers. And of course masks will come sealed in plastic, they would be useless if they came dragged through post offices unsealed. 

Yes, yes,  blah blah trump blah blah.  The Chinese treat the Uighur people wonderfully.  They don't put them in re education prisons, break up families, make them strip at check points, assign han people to live in their homes to make sure they behave, Put signs on their doors telling how many people live there so that when they come in unannounced they can count them and ship them all off if there are too many, force them to work in factories enriching the state from selling masks around the world.  It's just a conspiracy theory started by the New York Times in this case, trumps favorite news paper ever.  Give me a break.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
25 minutes ago, OverSword said:

HIGHLY SKILLED????? Not to make face masks.  Automated sewing machines.  Load the material in one side a mask comes out the other. 

Well, I guess all you do is shove sustenance down one end and waste flows out the other end then, would be nice if you remembered which end is which when you're not churning your brand of propaganda. 

~

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Helen of Annoy
1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Yes, yes,  blah blah trump blah blah.  The Chinese treat the Uighur people wonderfully.  They don't put them in re education prisons, break up families, make them strip at check points, assign han people to live in their homes to make sure they behave, Put signs on their doors telling how many people live there so that when they come in unannounced they can count them and ship them all off if there are too many, force them to work in factories enriching the state from selling masks around the world.  It's just a conspiracy theory started by the New York Times in this case, trumps favorite news paper ever.  Give me a break.

Ah, yes, China should follow your shiny example and make private prison industry, then it would be all right to trap minorities in them. 

Or separate brown immigrant families, disappearing their children for adoption and god knows what else industry, while keeping the rest in WWII concentration camps conditions, against any notion of human rights. Soap is not a hygienic requirement, remember? Where is your outrage? 

Take the brown kids out of concentration camp on the US soil before you take the grown-ass Uyghurs out of the mess they had thrown themselves into with their radical ideas. 

 

Also, do stop and think how many deaths you will help happen with spreading propaganda that is designed to make as many Americans as possible resist hygienic recommendations and spread the infection. 

Masks are helping stop the infection. 

Work for your nation, not against it. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword

:rolleyes: :tu:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa
2 hours ago, OverSword said:

HIGHLY SKILLED????? Not to make face masks.  Automated sewing machines.  Load the material in one side a mask comes out the other. 

It would seem that if you have a billion people looking for jobs and willing to work cheap, and a shortage of capital, you are more likely to rely on human labor than automated machines.    In the US on the other hand, where labor is not so cheap, it would make sense to automate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
1 minute ago, Tatetopa said:

It would seem that if you have a billion people looking for jobs and willing to work cheap, and a shortage of capital, you are more likely to rely on human labor than automated machines.    In the US on the other hand, where labor is not so cheap, it would make sense to automate.

Well I'm looking at a pile of disposable masks on my desk from china and they are not hand made they are exactly identical.

MASK_TO_SEND_Mesa_de_trabajo_1_copia__24

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
16 hours ago, third_eye said:

You can't "force" making PPE, it requires highly skilled labor and highly precise production lines. 

You may be correct and the story false.  There's a LOT of that going around these days.  OTOH, Chy-Nah is known for selling cheaply made crap and you'd be amazed how productive people can be when their lives are at stake.  :no:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
16 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

It would seem that if you have a billion people looking for jobs and willing to work cheap, and a shortage of capital, you are more likely to rely on human labor than automated machines.    In the US on the other hand, where labor is not so cheap, it would make sense to automate.

Exactly.  I'll never forget the Chinese version of a "wheel barrow" that I saw in use when we were in Beijing for the adoption.  It was two poles with canvas attached to form something like a stretcher.  They'd lay it on the ground, shovel it full of dirt and two guys would carry it.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Helen of Annoy

 

33 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Well I'm looking at a pile of disposable masks on my desk from china and they are not hand made they are exactly identical.

 

Yes, they are. Here's how. (Note that the Chinese are not insane to put people who might even think of sabotage in factories that produce health and hygiene, meaning extremely sensitive, goods. The story about slave labour in PPE production is a fairytale. Other than that, do prisoners in China work? I hope so.) 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa
37 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Well I'm looking at a pile of disposable masks on my desk from china and they are not hand made they are exactly identical.

 

You are right, I stand corrected.  It has been 20 years since I was in China for my company and I visited a stucco plant that was making quartz stucco for investment casting.  The big crystals were beat up by guys with sledge hammers and sent into a building where a couple of hundred people were sitting at little tables with 3 pound hammers and window screens to size the particles.  It made a lasting, if inaccurate,  impression.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
5 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Yes, they are.

Thanks for the vid showing they are not made by hand so no they are not.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Helen of Annoy
9 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Thanks for the vid showing they are not made by hand so no they are not.

third_eye wanted to tell you - and he was clearly right - that it's not a bunch of slaves shoveling raw material on one end with masks falling out on the other. You can clearly see in the video there are people who know what they're doing operating and feeding the machines. No, they're not sewing the masks by hand, but they are very far from the forced labour type of workforce. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
4 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

third_eye wanted to tell you - and he was clearly right - that it's not a bunch of slaves shoveling raw material on one end with masks falling out on the other. You can clearly see in the video there are people who know what they're doing operating and feeding the machines. No, they're not sewing the masks by hand, but they are very far from the forced labour type of workforce. 

Not in that factory which they showed on the map is on the other side of the country as the Uighur's and that most of those masks are going to Hubei not overseas.  Also the slave labor does not have to be on the floor running the machines, it could be moving materials or any of the other more labor intensive parts of the process.  Look, don't believe me, read the new york times who broke the story and bich to them about what a bunch of liars they are.  You're wrong of course but that never stops you.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2

UM has people defending forced labor now (can I call it slave labor?). How morally bankrupt does someone have to be to defend slave labor.

Why am I not even suprised. 

Sad :(

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

UM has people defending forced labor now (can I call it slave labor?). How morally bankrupt does someone have to be to defend slave labor.

Why am I not even suprised. 

Sad :(

Well.....well....well.....TRUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.