Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Twitter bans QAnon conspiracy theory accounts

Eldorado

"Twitter has announced sweeping measures aimed at cracking down on the QAnon conspiracy theory, including banning thousands of accounts.

"The social media giant said it would also stop recommending content linked to QAnon and block URLs associated with it from being shared on the platform.

"QAnon is a sprawling conspiracy theory whose followers support US President Donald Trump.

"Twitter said it hoped the action would help to prevent "offline harm"."

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53495316

QAnon: Wikipedia

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Lets see how quickly they move to ban those who support Antifa and BLM.  Spoiler alert:  don't hold your breath.  And before the usual suspects hyperventilate, I've never clicked on the Q nonsense a single time.  These days I wait to see if ANYONE is ever going to be held accountable for the crimes that have been uncovered in FBI/CIA et cetera.  If they don't indict any of them then America is headed to severe conflict, sooner rather than later.  Too much info has been released for the tens of millions of irate citizens to be ignored and the two-step shuffle to happen one more time.  One way or another, there WILL be a reckoning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I remember a few weeks ago they were pushing the debunked Wayfair conspiracy. However many of the videos from them have been re-uploaded. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/23/2020 at 6:03 PM, Scholar4Truth said:

I remember a few weeks ago they were pushing the debunked Wayfair conspiracy. However many of the videos from them have been re-uploaded. 

It's a game of whack-a-mole, but I doubt if any of the social media giants will put enough resources into whacking them all permanently.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/1/2020 at 11:48 PM, 911119911 said:

This censorship is out of control. 

No it isn't. They have every right to ban content from their own platform.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Not at the expense of free speach and dare i say it fairness, the world is in turmoil. You would think people would want to work together and oust the evil of the world instead of trying to rewrite an history that was "ok" just a few months ago.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Those "rights" came via the Communications Decency Act.  Congress giveth, Congress taketh away.  230 reform is need NOW.  Those entities who are becoming filthy rich by just posting content have stepped out and begun deciding who gets to speak and increasingly it's one political view that is finding itself demonetized or banned.  They may have the right as a "private" company but they damned well need to be held to the same standards as any other publisher who makes those decisions.  They don't get to have it both ways.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, and then said:

Those "rights" came via the Communications Decency Act.  Congress giveth, Congress taketh away.  230 reform is need NOW.  Those entities who are becoming filthy rich by just posting content have stepped out and begun deciding who gets to speak and increasingly it's one political view that is finding itself demonetized or banned.  They may have the right as a "private" company but they damned well need to be held to the same standards as any other publisher who makes those decisions.  They don't get to have it both ways.  

Twitter is protected under the same Supreme Court rulings that also protect Facebook, so quit moaning and find something else to get excited about. The whining and moaning is getting old.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 5

On 7/22/2020 at 12:44 PM, and then said:

Lets see how quickly they move to ban those who support Antifa and BLM.  Spoiler alert:  don't hold your breath.  And before the usual suspects hyperventilate, I've never clicked on the Q nonsense a single time.  These days I wait to see if ANYONE is ever going to be held accountable for the crimes that have been uncovered in FBI/CIA et cetera.  If they don't indict any of them then America is headed to severe conflict, sooner rather than later.  Too much info has been released for the tens of millions of irate citizens to be ignored and the two-step shuffle to happen one more time.  One way or another, there WILL be a reckoning.

There is literally...NO comparison to Qanon and Antifa and BLM....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In the UK we have Ofcom , this body polices the BBC , ITV , Sky etc .

They are now looking at the platforms such as b****ute , Brand New Tube etc that offer free speech platforms that don’t mind the narratives that YouTube, Facebook, Google do .

Freedom of speech regarding the Covid 19 narrative is obviously being silenced from the major platform providers, the worry is how Ofcom that ironically gives  out 5G contracts in the UK is looking to stifle free speech on the alternative platforms .

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 7:06 AM, Robotic Jew said:

There is literally...NO comparison to Qanon and Antifa and BLM....

You're right.  as far as I know, Q never served as a staging and planning instrument for anarchy, they're just a bunch of nutters.

• Haha 3

On 8/4/2020 at 11:46 PM, Aroundthecorner said:

Not at the expense of free speach and dare i say it fairness, the world is in turmoil. You would think people would want to work together and oust the evil of the world instead of trying to rewrite an history that was "ok" just a few months ago.

There is a EULA that you sign. That EULA does not have to guarantee free speech. It could state that you can only comment about appliance repairs and if you mention anything other than appliances your account will be closed.

An issue often forgotten by people is that rights are not absolute. Free speech does not allow anything.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

The time people complain about censorship in youtube or twitter is time more or less wasted, people should be more concern about China´s acquisition of western social media and entertainment companies, that's where real censorship will come.
Also you guys keep forgetting that media giants like youtube and twitter have massive foreign users, we have to take all BS from the US as well, american conspiracies theories are starting to create serious problems in the Europe.

Question for those people who believe that censorship of any kind is wrong. 

Is there a line, 4chan, and 8chan were created to be places of zero censorship,  it turned out there wher/are a lot of sick and twisted people out in the big wide web and these free speech utopias have given them places they can meet, support each other and co-ordinate their agendas, essentially normalizing their behavior within their groups. Pedophiles, potential terrorists, murderers, child traffickers. 

Is there a line? Because to me there is.  But I have seen some very sick and twisted people over the years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Question for those people who believe that censorship of any kind is wrong. 

Is there a line, 4chan, and 8chan were created to be places of zero censorship,  it turned out there wher/are a lot of sick and twisted people out in the big wide web and these free speech utopias have given them places they can meet, support each other and co-ordinate their agendas, essentially normalizing their behavior within their groups. Pedophiles, potential terrorists, murderers, child traffickers. 

Is there a line? Because to me there is.  But I have seen some very sick and twisted people over the years.

Pedophilia, child trafficing, and terrorism are illegal under most national jurisdictions, so if a forum is attracting those people, it can be closed down. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Pedophilia, child trafficing, and terrorism are illegal under most national jurisdictions, so if a forum is attracting those people, it can be closed down. 

And should be.

How does a forum prevent it without censorship?

As far as i can tell,the q anon site is against pedophillia,trafficking and terrorism.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

As far as i can tell,the q anon site is against pedophillia,trafficking and terrorism.

That isn't my point. 

But if you would like to see where the qanon stuff has become a problem,  it is when people shoot up pizza parlours, and hunt down business owners and members of government. That is terrorism. And when it is based on internet rumour, which a lot of qanon is,it is dangerous.  

Do you censor before it causes problems, or do you wait until it is openly being discussed? Do you assume violent online rhetoric is empty or do you shut it down and report it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Are it can be used to find those people.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Are it can be used to find those people.

Yeah,if you are dumb enough to try and hire a hitman on the deep web good chance your talking to fbi.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

No, they're against who they /think/ are involved with that, which even a cursory examination reveals isn't true, and they go to far extremes over something unverified. A guy shot up a pizza place that supposedly had trapped kids in the basement...after the dust settled, they checked, it didn't even /have a basement/. Good thing nobody was hurt, but there's only so many times you get lucky on that. 

3 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

Yeah,if you are dumb enough to try and hire a hitman on the deep web good chance your talking to fbi.

I suspect that's why the dark web exist. At least partially. Easy way to find scum.

• Like 1