Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Samhain

What is this?

Samhain

I was walking last night in the usual places I go whenever I walk, and I noticed something strange just sitting on the bench by the trees.  When I got closer I realized it was a skull, and it looked pretty real too, definitely not plastic or anything like that. I didn’t touch it just because I wasn’t sure where it came from and all that stuff, but I did snap a picture.

The weird thing is how it’s placed on the bench, it doesn’t look like an animal had killed and eaten it, only to place the skull on the bench that way. To me it looks like somebody put it there. 

Any idea what it could be? I thought it looked a lot like a cat skull until I looked it up and noticed a few differences. Another reason why I thought it could be a cat was because I’d seen a few cats when walking in that area, one in particular that was a black cat and was pretty playful. Only thing is I only saw it a few times and then it was like it just vanished. There was another cat around that area too, I only saw it once however, and it looked like a kitten. What kind of skull does this look like? 

58786CEB-5414-453C-AE6C-58B9A2DA2421.jpeg

Scholar4Truth

I did a search on cat skulls and various images come up that show similar features. So I agree Oversword I think we can chalk this up to being remains of a cat. 

• Like 1

preacherman76
On 7/23/2020 at 12:25 PM, Scholar4Truth said:

I did a search on cat skulls and various images come up that show similar features. So I agree Oversword I think we can chalk this up to being remains of a cat. 

I think you are probably right. Now the question is who would put something like that on a bench, and where did they get it? Sick. 

• Like 1

Susanc241

I would say that has come from a long dead animal as it looks completely devoid of any soft tissue or skin.  Another predator may have dug it up, more likely a dog who brought it to its owner, who left it where it was found.

• Like 1

simplybill
Posted (edited)

If there are farm buildings nearby, it may be from one of the dozens of feral cats that inhabit the barns and sheds. The old barn on my property sometimes had as many as twenty feral cats living inside. They were great for keeping the rodent population down, so I regularly gave them cat food and canola oil to encourage them to stay. Farmers that have milk cows often fill a large round feeding pan with fresh milk. It’s fun to watch eight or ten cats rush in and encircle the pan and lap up the milk. 

A few of my cats became friendly, but most would scatter and hide whenever I entered the barn. Unfortunately, a plague of distemper would occasionally sweep through and kill off most of the cats. Oddly, the friendly cats seemed to be immune to distemper. Two of the friendly cats lived for longer than ten years.

I took down the barn a few years ago when it became too old and dangerous. Underneath the nearly century-old loose hay in the hay loft I found several cat skulls that I placed on top of the rock pile to entertain my little nieces and nephews when they came to visit. I told them that the rock pile was rumored to be an Indian burial ground, and they spent hours digging through the colorful rocks that the pioneers had collected from the fields when they transformed the Great Plains into farmland.

Edited by simplybill

simplybill

@Samhain - sorry, I got kind of long-winded on that last post. That happens when I make the coffee too strong.

openozy
16 hours ago, simplybill said:

so I regularly gave them cat food and canola oil

Obviously you didn't have to clean their litter trays Bill,lol. 

• Like 1