Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question(s) about prayer.

GoldenWolf

Prayer works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn’t work IMO and experience.  An Atheist can certainly pray anytime they wish, if times get hard enough.  I mean, let’s face it.....if there be a God, he/she/it doesn’t care what you believe.  

An Atheist who wishes to pray can say, “God, I don’t even believe you exist.  But if you do, would you please......”

It certainly won’t hurt a darn thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Guyver said:

Prayer works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn’t work IMO and experience.  An Atheist can certainly pray anytime they wish, if times get hard enough.  I mean, let’s face it.....if there be a God, he/she/it doesn’t care what you believe.  

An Atheist who wishes to pray can say, “God, I don’t even believe you exist.  But if you do, would you please......”

Exactly, yesterday at work my boss a doctor, her mom a nurse, and myself a caregiver prayed fervently that my bosses IV didn’t come out. 

So far it is still intact. I find it complete hogwash that there would be rules for praying or who can or cannot pray, anymore than one needs to be a Buddhist to meditate. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 6

On 8/4/2020 at 12:51 PM, Sherapy said:
On 8/4/2020 at 1:33 AM, Guyver said:

Exactly, yesterday at work my boss a doctor, her mom a nurse, and myself a caregiver prayed fervently that my bosses IV didn’t come out. 

So far it is still intact. I find it complete hogwash that there would be rules for praying or who can or cannot pray, anymore than one needs to be a Buddhist to meditate. 

Or, who feels it should be pushed and forced on to others who doesn’t believe in it. I have been in a couple of situations where, and I was told myself I was told as part of a closed room and such to lower my head and pray., In public situations, there are different beliefs and no beliefs, Those pushing it should know better not to. I consider that, very offensive.

Those pushing it should know better not to. I consider that, very offensive and they should realize that as supposed caring believers.

Even in one situation, I didn’t lower my head, I did not  mouth the words or  say them,  just stared straight ahead at them and glared. This is not something I grew up to. I had every right to give them the signal they were wrong.

going back to @GoldenWolf, for loved ones of him practicing a belief that should be giving an understanding, they failed to do that and I feel they failed  to do that for him.

I hope you’re doing OK and so is your family, @GoldenWolf 

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
LOL! I was told as part of a closed room onions to buy my head and pray?!?! Auto-correct LOL
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

She died last night.  I think the Doctors coaxed her into a D.N.R.  We're poor people living in a heartless, unempathetic "Might makes Right" society.  My family better see the bigger picture and not try to blame me for anything.

• Sad 7

5 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

She died last night. 

Very sorry to hear that. Losing mother is perhaps one of the most difficult things to bear. Hang in there.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

She died last night.  I think the Doctors coaxed her into a D.N.R.  We're poor people living in a heartless, unempathetic "Might makes Right" society.  My family better see the bigger picture and not try to blame me for anything.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Edited by XenoFish
corrected spelling
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, GoldenWolf said:

@GoldenWolf

I am so sorry. :(  *hugs*
I wish I could be with you to be there for you.

if your family does do that, blame you for this, and I think you should spread the word to others about it. Because, I am sure so many would consider your family very very wrong. Of course, that is if they do do this. I am hoping, that they won’t and you and them will come together to be there for each other.

if not, putting the shame on them should probably open their eyes. I would feel you have more of a right blaming them for various reasons. I really really hope, there is loved ones that you can depend on right now.

Right now, I am putting all my energy into virtually hugging you. :wub:

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2020 at 2:12 PM, Sherapy said:

An interesting aside, as a caregiver, including my Hospice journey’s. I am so surprised at how often a person who is terminal prefers to die solo or with caregivers only. My grandmother died a year ago at 100 years old, quietly, peacefully and by herself. She wanted it that way too. She told me she had been dependent for 77 years of her life and when my grandpa died when they were both 77 she discovered her independence for the first time and loved it. She would remarry 3 times from 77 to 90 and she even moved to Canada (she just packed up and moved out of the country when she was 87) for the duration of her 3rd and last marriage. 

Nice story, and a strong empowered woman.

Sorry i missed this for so long 

Yes humans have different needs.

My mum was an atheist.

She didn't want to die, because she loved life, and was loved and  fit /  physically competent/ independent   right up to her  last few months of life.  Like her mother,  she struggled valiantly against death She feared loss of self, being fully aware aged 96,  but mostly she feared being alone as she died   

To me, prayer is just 'wishing/hoping' with a different label. It's OK to do that if it makes you feel better, but don't expect some imaginary being to respond and act on your request. And, yes, I suppose there are cases of so-called miracles happening that might appear to be answered prayers but I deem them purely coincidental.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...