Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poltergeists: A Problem for the Materialist

macqdor

Just now, XenoFish said:

It's your story and that's fine. I've just become so jaded by this stuff that I need more than faith to believe it. There are too many fakes, frauds, and scammers who only care about suffering in people to make money. They do a disservice to any honest inquiries.

I'm not saying anyone has to believe it. I'm just explaining why I see it as a possibility while others don't.

2 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

I'm not saying anyone has to believe it. I'm just explaining why I see it as a possibility while others don't.

I get that and understand. What I'm getting at is that without actual proof and it being proven, there is only anecdotal "evidence". Which amounts to nothing. Yet some treat it as fact. 

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I get that and understand. What I'm getting at is that without actual proof and it being proven, there is only anecdotal "evidence". Which amounts to nothing. Yet some treat it as fact. 

I'm just wondering how it could actually be proven. 

With what...video? No one would believe that, either. 

I'm not sure scientists would want to have their names on any research into it, either. It would probably be career ending.

1 minute ago, GlitterRose said:

I'm just wondering how it could actually be proven. 

With what...video? No one would believe that, either. 

I'm not sure scientists would want to have their names on any research into it, either. It would probably be career ending.

A properly done testing protocol that can be successfully repeating in any lab. 

The thing is, if pk/tk is proven legit then that's a whole new area of science and biology. Yet we are left with charlatans.

Just now, XenoFish said:

A properly done testing protocol that can be successfully repeating in any lab. 

The thing is, if pk/tk is proven legit then that's a whole new area of science and biology. Yet we are left with charlatans.

I could see them getting something once, but I think the problem would be replicating it.

Because we don't know all the elements that are required to have it happen. 

And just because certain elements being in place result in one person exhibiting the phenomena...that doesn't mean it would necessarily happen with another. 

It just doesn't seem as cut and dry as other things that science investigates. 

I'm all for them trying to do it. I'm just not sold that they're going to be successful, even if pk/tk is real. 

I could see them getting something once, but I think the problem would be replicating it.

Because we don't know all the elements that are required to have it happen. 

And just because certain elements being in place result in one person exhibiting the phenomena...that doesn't mean it would necessarily happen with another. 

It just doesn't seem as cut and dry as other things that science investigates. 

I'm all for them trying to do it. I'm just not sold that they're going to be successful, even if pk/tk is real. 

@GlitterRose

Amen. I agree with you.  Truer words never / rarely spoken surrounding the poltergeist phenomena or any phenomena that's been witnessed while at the same time not fitting man's scientific view of what reality is.  This notion that nothing is real unless it can be replicated in a laboratory, etc is in my opinion a ludicrous position.  Man's knowledge or understanding of this universe and how all things work and exist is in infancy stage.  We dont know, what we don't know which means we don't much.  We know zilch.   

Man's knowledge GAP IMO allows for the existence of poltergeist and other unexplained phenomena. I see more cynicism than I see critical thinking from the average skeptic.  Honestly I see no critical thinking from the skeptic. All I see is a desire to be right at any cost and a desire to preserve their world view which is 'nothing is real or true, unless science says it is.'  

The folly in that thought process is huge.  

Someone being "jaded" or eye-rolling mentally is not the the fault of the person experiencing phenomena.   Get over it.

Edited by macqdor