Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump's executive orders to lower drug prices

Myles

These seem like a pretty good move.   I bet this is making Dems and Republican politicians mad.   Of course the big Pharma as well. 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/healthcare/trump-four-executive-orders-drug-prices

President Trump issued a handful of executive orders Friday that aim to lower prescription drug prices through a variety of methods, including allowing medications to be imported from other countries.

“I’m signing four sweeping executive orders that will lead to a massive reduction in drugs costs,” Trump said during a press briefing at the White House. “[The measures] will completely restore the prescription drug market in terms of prices.”

Trump claimed drug prices had fallen under his administration for the first time in more than five decades but added that he was determined to do more.

One of the orders introduced Friday would deliver rebates from drug companies directly to patients for insulin and Epipens in a bid to prevent providers from pocketing the discounts themselves while charging low-income patients unaffordable prices.

• Like 6

Pandering.  Well I guess that's what politicians do but he didn't do this when his rating were high.  Just saying.

• Like 3

Excellent strategy :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah and if Obama'd done this his supporters would claim it was the communist takeover. Lets see what the results are before judging it, however.

• Like 3

You know, I honestly wish it were as easy as signing an executive order to solve the drug prices issue........

• Like 4

Now according to the President's speech, it isn't the big pharma companies because they  are doing a great job, but the middle men who do nothing and nobody even knows who they are that are making huge profits.   And it is again foreign countries who are screwing us?  Sound familiar?  

I thought foreign countries usually made the cheap generic drugs, and even Americans who go to foreign countries can buy drugs cheaper than in the US.

So somehow  four  executive orders will change the course of the free market system?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Now according to the President's speech, it isn't the big pharma companies because they  are doing a great job, but the middle men who do nothing and nobody even knows who they are that are making huge profits.   And it is again foreign countries who are screwing us?  Sound familiar?  

I thought foreign countries usually made the cheap generic drugs, and even Americans who go to foreign countries can buy drugs cheaper than in the US.

So somehow  four  executive orders will change the course of the free market system?

Maybe he thinks we are subsidizing the foreign countries cheap pharma by paying through the nose.  If pharmaceutical manufacturers weren't some of the most profitable companies that may even be believable. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Maybe he thinks we are subsidizing the foreign countries cheap pharma by paying through the nose.  If pharmaceutical manufacturers weren't some of the most profitable companies that may even be believable. 

I am going to give him some PR genius points.  He promised relief and  pinned the high costs on middlemen and foreign countries thus not implicating or angering those huge donors, the pharma companies.  If it doesn't pan out, it is China's fault not Glaxo Smith Klein or any of their colleagues. .

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

You know, I honestly wish it were as easy as signing an executive order to solve the drug prices issue........

Title should read: Trump does absolutely nothing to solve a problem...again...

but convinces dupes that he has.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, GlitterRose said:

Title should read: Trump does absolutely nothing to solve a problem...again...

but convinces dupes that he has.

Well it is an election year and the results (or lack of) won't be apparent until after the election.  So I would have to say it is a good campaign move.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

Well it is an election year and the results (or lack of) won't be apparent until after the election.  So I would have to say it is a good campaign move.

Lying is at least a typical campaign move.

• Like 2

Just now, OverSword said:

Lying is at least a typical campaign move.

Well, you never know.  It could lower drug prices........  Our government does force us to buy US/FDA approved drugs.  He could gut regulations and let people buy whatever from wherever.  His actions regarding medication during this Covid pandemic makes it clear that he is fine with experimental/untested drug use. 

• Like 3

Trump's executive orders are about as useless as a Trump University degree.  You can import medicine now, though technically illegal people are doing it. I did it years ago for a dog with cancer.  It was during the Bush administration.  If I bought the same drugs in America it was 400 a month, from Canada by mail it was less than 100.  The meds were human meds, but useful in pain management. they were not narcotics.  the truth is, american big pharma have friendly patent laws that allow them to extent patents over and over delaying generics in America. But you can order generics from just about any country by mail. Oh you will hear, but we need the FDA to bless the generics because those sneaky Canadians or Israelis, will send up saw dust pills...blah  blah blah.  If Al Capone was alive today he would run hospitals, big pharma an medical insurance companies.  we just need a reform of patent laws, and nationalize medicine. I never thought I would be for nationalized medicine, but recent events have convinced me.  Trump just does stunts. He doesn't even understand the issues. He struggles with whether that's a giraffe or an elephant.  

Edited by micahc
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Big fan of the item to charge us what they charge others. Always thought medicare should be charged the same amount as the lowest developed country is getting. If they want to cut sweetheart deals with France for a drug, that drops the price we pay.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thedutchiedutch said:

Excellent strategy :)

..especially when yourself and a few friends are heavily invested in some of the foreign drug companies which the U.S. ...government and military will PURCHASE  from.           ?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Myles said:

Big fan of the item to charge us what they charge others. Always thought medicare should be charged the same amount as the lowest developed country is getting. If they want to cut sweetheart deals with France for a drug, that drops the price we pay.

That has always been the solution I want.

Link the prices to the cost overseas.

If a drug company can offered to charge the drug for 3x cheaper in France then they can afford to do it here.

• Like 1