Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery Seeds In The Mail

susieice

People in Virginia are receiving packets of seeds they believe are coming from China. I've also heard people are getting them in Washington State too. No one seems to know what they are.

https://www.fox29.com/news/mysterious-seeds-being-mailed-to-virginia-residents-could-be-from-china?fbclid=IwAR1v3FGnbYR5mQ3YwMqGTLh1WaXGgzZiE2w7q3omFWTRbC4k3ndruOBMtXU

This says Utah also.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/508932-virginia-utah-residents-advised-against-planting-mysterious-seeds-marked

Edited by susieice
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

My first thought was this. Authorities are talking about an invasive species. I need help, I know. Why are people being sent seeds?

Little Shop Of Horrors NYC Cast Releases “Skid Row (Downtown)” Ahead Of  Record Release – 4 Your Excitement

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, susieice said:

Why are people being sent seeds?

Bio-warfare maybe? Plant something toxic and people get sick. I don't honestly don't know. All I can do is speculate.

• Like 3

Maybe it's because English is not my native language, but what does this mean, actually... 

Officials said the packages were sent by mail and may have Chinese writing on them. 

~

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Maybe it's because English is not my native language, but what does this mean, actually... 

~

They're probably marked in Chinese characters, not letters like English is. 

• Like 2

Someone is hoping the seed of doubt will be planted...........

I know, I know, shoot me now. :P 

• Haha 7

24 minutes ago, susieice said:

My first thought was this. Authorities are talking about an invasive species. I need help, I know. Why are people being sent seeds?

This is what I thought too Susie - seeds are a big no-no here.  There is this tv show that focuses on what people try to smuggle into customs.  It always seems to be Asians that do this and not declaring foodstuffs, herbs, seeds etc.  They use the excuse that they don't speak English but after making 20 odd trips, you'd think they'd know the rules by then wouldn't you?  It's a very real problem as I'm sure it is around the world, but this sending seeds out on a grand scale is a new tactic LOL

We just happen to be a gateway to Asia here so we have a lot of Asian's coming and going. 

Edited by Gwynbleidd
  • Like 4

We're fighting these things here. I've seen them for the last two years. We're supposed to report them and kill them when we see them. They're in a lot of states in the northeast. That's why when the Dept of Agriculture said it could be an invasive species it perked up my ears. No one seems to know what they are.

https://www.agriculture.pa.gov/Plants_Land_Water/PlantIndustry/Entomology/spotted_lanternfly/SpottedLanternflyAlert/Pages/default.aspx

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, susieice said:

They're probably marked in Chinese characters, not letters like English is. 

By mail and nobody knows where it's sent from ...

These news reporters have no way of determining whether it is Chinese characters or not... 

Maybe it's from Bigfoot nation in bigfeet language... 

:lol:

~

• Haha 2

Most likely explanation is that whoever is sending these unwanted "gifts" (seeds, hair clips, small toys, disposable masks...) is doing that to boost their company's sales numbers. Someone needs to claim more sales than they really had, so they're sending random nothings to random people. 

So it's most likely not a biological warfare, though it depends on the people who receive such parcels and their possible tendency to lick strange objects.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, third_eye said:

By mail and nobody knows where it's sent from ...

It sounds like Falun Daffy stupidness. They were mailing "Buddha Power Bracelets" to random people. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Yep. They're in Washington. Here's what they look like.

109573790_10158364331262906_1041458656858389114_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=x9msMJFxYw8AX-B0FUC&_nc_ht=scontent.fabe1-1.fna&oh=033632ba5d208862191e246e428243af&oe=5F416C78

Today we received reports of people receiving seeds in the mail from China that they did not order. The seeds are sent in packages usually stating that the contents are jewelry. Unsolicited seeds could be invasive, introduce diseases to local plants, or be harmful to livestock.
Here's what to do if you receive unsolicited seeds from another country:
1) DO NOT plant them and if they are in sealed packaging (as in the photo below) don't open the sealed package.
2) This is known as agricultural smuggling. Report it to USDA and maintain the seeds and packaging until USDA instructs you what to do with the packages and seeds. They may be needed as evidence.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2020 at 10:55 AM, Helen of Annoy said:

Most likely explanation is that whoever is sending these unwanted "gifts" (seeds, hair clips, small toys, disposable masks...) is doing that to boost their company's sales numbers. Someone needs to claim more sales than they really had, so they're sending random nothings to random people. 

So it's most likely not a biological warfare, though it depends on the people who receive such parcels and their possible tendency to lick strange objects.  

Quite possible as shown on this story here   https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4145130/Chinese-brushers-send-unordered-parcels-British-homes.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe this is just another strategy in the Chi-coms dirty playbook to destroy america....far fetched i know....it would be easier for them to just send people over here and deposit seeds in places where they would grow. invasive plants can cause real havoc.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pbarosso said:

I believe this is just another strategy in the Chi-coms dirty playbook to destroy america....far fetched i know....it would be easier for them to just send people over here and deposit seeds in places where they would grow. invasive plants can cause real havoc.

I don't think that's the case here. 

Read HUII bloke's link, that's almost certainly the explanation. 

Sellers wanted better sales numbers, they resorted to sending unwanted trinkets to random people, obviously overdid it, sent their parcels to too many addresses, raised suspicion, suspicion caused public exposure and the sellers, who can easily be identified by the Chinese authorities, advertised they're involved in practice that is illegal in China. 

One more time it was proven that people who resort to illegal actions are not too bright.  

I feel sorry for these sellers now. They obviously desperately needed sales numbers boost, they had expenses and all they'll get is trouble. 

Besides, if China wanted to plant invasive plants in the US, or anywhere else, they could simply mix a little bit of invasive plants' seeds into large orders of any other seeding material. Or in compost. Or in potting soil. This, sending seeds to random addresses would be the least efficient while hilariously visible, therefore, outrageously stupid way to do it.  

• Like 4

These seeds have a strong resemblance to Japanese Knotweed, crush and burn them straight away, a highly invasive plant species.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thats illegal? I get seeds from china in those little packets from wish.com. unfortunately wish packages get delivered to the completely wrong address quite often for some reason. Not that sinister.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Thats illegal? I get seeds from china in those little packets from wish.com. unfortunately wish packages get delivered to the completely wrong address quite often for some reason. Not that sinister.

I received seeds in the mail over lock down.

I didn't order them, but somebody else did. I  believe there was a lot of ordering of vegetable seeds over this time, as people discovered the importance of growing your own food.

If you are concerned about the package send it to your local ministry of agriculture or equivalent and get them to check it out. 

• Like 2

They are planting the seeds of doubt and obviously they are succeeding. 

• Like 2