Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Childhood Fantasies

Dustyrose33

https://www.quora.com/What-were-your-greatest-childhood-fantasies

Do you ever think about your childhood fantasies?  Everyone had them growing up, and perhaps it would be fun to remember some of them.   This is meant to be a lighthearted post without bashing anyone else for their fantasies.   So I'll start.

When I was quite young I'd fantasize about going to a store after it closed and eating all the candy I wanted.    Never would put on weight and no tooth decay.   Just ate those great candy bars to my heart's content.   Then after that I'd go to a dept. store after hours and I was all alone in there just looking at the merchandise.   Would not steal anything, just had fun.   That's back when stores had full life-size mannequins, and I just fantasized I could see them all dressed up.

Oh well, it was fun.

Edited by Dustyrose33
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Dustyrose33 said:

Do you ever think about your childhood fantasies?

I never had any.

• Haha 1

I didn't spend a great deal of time in the world of fantasy and make believe, but I did want to save the world. Well not the entire world.

Just children and animals protected from harm and hunger with a flick of my magic wand. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hey this thread got me interested up some of my favorite candy bars way back, and I found this about chocolate:

Is one chocolate bar a day OK?
Eating just one chocolate bar a day 'can reduce risk of stroke by 23 per cent,' says study. MUNCHING on a chocolate bar is good for your heart, a study suggests. ... US researcher Elizabeth Mostofsky said: “Even small amounts of cocoa consumption can have a positive health impact.”May 25, 2017

I believe dark chocolate is said to be the healthiest.
Edited by Dustyrose33
  • Like 4

You mean like concrete fantasies?
I can remember a couple:

I remember that for a short time I wanted to become an explorer because i thought it meant you'd be allowed to enter and walk around in everybody's garden and privately owned estates and stuff like that hahaha. 

The church in the village I was born in was built on the slope of a hill, and on th ebackside of the church there was a sort of stone-paved ravine between the building and the hill's slope, big enough to walk in, I think it was there for drainage purposes, but as a young child I thought there'd be an entrance to Hell at the end of the ravine. It just seemed logical to me that the Devil would live behind the church for some reason.

Below the church, on the same slope was also a small park where my grandmother took me often, on the lower edge of the park there was a brick wall that included a large gate that was completely bricked up, but still clearly recognizable as a former gate and kinda grown over with ivy, I had theories that in some nights the gate would open and some procession of ghosts or fairies or some such would walk through it.

On the outskirts of the village, close to the supermarket we went to there were abandoned train tracks, grown over with grass and stuff, for some reason, one day in spring I decided that those were the train tracks the Easter Bunny would arrive on (no clue why I thoguht the Easter Bunny traveled by train) and I made my sister stay beside the tracks and look for the Easter Bunny while my mother went grocery shopping. My mother even asked us in a completely sincere tone whether we had seen the Easter Bunny yet when she came back from the store.

Also in my village they had some strange way of marking whether a house had a proper cellar (no idea why they did that) by printing a black triangle next to the entrance. When I was little I was convinced that those triangles were painted by a witch for some notorious purpose. I even gave the witch some made up fantasy name which I can't remember now.

And for some reason my grandmother told me that unicorns were real and that they had some in the zoo in Prague in the Czech Republic. And for a really long time I completely believed that. Now, I'm thankfully much more sensible and know that the last surviving unicorns live in the Baltic forests.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I didn't spend a great deal of time in the world of fantasy and make believe, but I did want to save the world. Well not the entire world.

Just children and animals protected from harm and hunger with a flick of my magic wand. 

I was the staunch environmentalist marching to Carter's drum who wanted to save every animal and feed the world. We were all like that in Young Friends though.

I still wanted to save the world, children and the environment all the way up to prison.....now.......meh.....lost cause.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I remembered something else, which is also a cautionary tale against telling children nonsense in order to keep them from doing stuff:

My grandmother used to tell me that I shouldn't touch electrical outlets because some sort of evil Electricity Goblin who likes to hurt people lives in them.
One day I decided that I wouldn't just let that goblin hurt people anymore and tried to defeat him by stabbing an outlet with a fork... :lol:

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Dustyrose33 said:

Hey this thread got me interested up some of my favorite candy bars way back, and I found this about chocolate:

Is one chocolate bar a day OK?
Eating just one chocolate bar a day 'can reduce risk of stroke by 23 per cent,' says study. MUNCHING on a chocolate bar is good for your heart, a study suggests. ... US researcher Elizabeth Mostofsky said: “Even small amounts of cocoa consumption can have a positive health impact.”May 25, 2017

I believe dark chocolate is said to be the healthiest.

This is good news for "normal" people.  Some of us, okay, ME, can be foodaholics where refined carbs (especially sugar) is concerned :(   The problem with munching on that bar of chocolate is that one is never enough.  Although, when it's dark chocolate, I do tend to eat it and savor it much more slowly ;) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

I remembered something else, which is also a cautionary tale against telling children nonsense in order to keep them from doing stuff:

My grandmother used to tell me that I shouldn't touch electrical outlets because some sort of evil Electricity Goblin who likes to hurt people lives in them.
One day I decided that I wouldn't just let that goblin hurt people anymore and tried to defeat him by stabbing an outlet with a fork... :lol:

Uh... how'd that work out for you?  I ask, because I had a cousin who did something similar and she got pretty badly burned :(   I think she used a straightened paper-clip.  That was so long ago that fuses were still common for surge protection.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I never had any.

Come ON, man... every kid has fantasies/dreams.  I was a child under 10, in the late 60s so of course I dreamed of flying in space.  I can't imagine a better time prior to that for kids who marveled at space.  I actually spoke to my teacher about how I could be an astronaut or engineer and I was CRUSHED to know how much math was involved.  I am only proficient in maths that do not use the alphabet  :w00t:

My daughter made A's in pre-Cal in HS.  She went on to take 3 or 4 advanced levels of the Calculus and never made less than a B.  I did my best to convince her to try for an engineering position at NASA.  She wound up at a Defense contractor for the Navy.  She's LOVING it :) 

• Like 2

I wanted magic powers.  I would be able to fly, grant wishes, punish bad people.

Then I decided space would be awesome to explore once I saw Star Wars.

Watched The Hobbit cartoon, was back to magic,  but, i thought magic in space would be the best combo!

• Like 2

Every dream I had was crushed. All I wanted to be was an artist. Had the talent for it. But got shot down ever step of the way. I gave up after my painting was denied entry into an art contest that would've given me a free ride to art school. My own art teacher kept it out. As it wasn't "on subject". So what's the point? I eventually quit drawing. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Every dream I had was crushed. All I wanted to be was an artist. Had the talent for it. But got shot down ever step of the way. I gave up after my painting was denied entry into an art contest that would've given me a free ride to art school. My own art teacher kept it out. As it wasn't "on subject". So what's the point? I eventually quit drawing. 

Sorry that happened to you.  You should draw something and post it on here.

7 minutes ago, Dustyrose33 said:

Sorry that happened to you.  You should draw something and post it on here.

No.

10 hours ago, and then said:

Uh... how'd that work out for you?  I ask, because I had a cousin who did something similar and she got pretty badly burned :(   I think she used a straightened paper-clip.  That was so long ago that fuses were still common for surge protection.  

I was very young so I don't remember the exact details, but I know that I wasn't injured or anything. I just got an electric shock and cried out for help. My mother was angry at my grandmother for telling me nonsense like that, said something about my hair looking like Frankenstein's (a common description for somebody's hair standing on edge where I grew up in) and then she made me hot cocoa. 

Needles to say, I never tried poking around an outlet again. 

• Like 2

This is a little different then what I think you're asking.

But me and my little brother had two wholely constructed make believe world's that we played in when we were kids.

One was called "Wizard and Warrior", which was basically just a typical fantasy world but where there was a nation of warriors who were unbelievably skilled fighter but less sophisticated society, and the other was a big nations of wizards that was more academic and metropolitan. They were rivals but often teamed up. We had alot of stupid lore in this world too lol.

The second was called "Robot Builders" where we were super geniuses who build battle robots to fight in competitions. That one eventually evolved to us just making clones and robots and taking over the universe lol.

We basically just ran around the yard with sticks, but I remember the world's seeming very vivid as a kid.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Hey, at least you didn't let that turn you into Hitler :ph34r: lol.

• Haha 2