Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

11yrs for Samoan chief who enslaved villagers

Eldorado

"A New Zealand-based Samoan chief has been sentenced to 11 years in prison for human trafficking and using 13 of his countrymen as slaves over a 25-year period.

"Joseph Auga Matamata, 65, also known as Villiamu Samu, was found guilty on 10 counts of trafficking and 13 counts of slavery following a five-week trial at the high court in Napier in March.

"During sentencing on Monday, Justice Helen Cull described Matamata’s offending as “abhorrent”, and ordered him to pay NZ$180,000 ($120,000) in reparations to his victims, RNZ reported, with the crown seizing half of Matamata’s assets last month in a bid to recover funds for the reparations."

Full report at the UK Guardian: Link

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Too bad... 

27 Apr 2008 · By signing this contract a person is also stating that they fully agree with Scientology's opposition to Psychiatry and that ...

~

A "billion" years 

:lol:

~

• Confused 1

I figure the Chief got off very light with that sentence.

Were I the Judge, he'd be imprisoned for as many years as he held people against their will...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was absolutely appalled to read about this yesterday.  The depths of depravity required to treat people as things. Just evil.

• Like 1