Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The greatest physical pain

8th_wall

Looking back over my life of the pain I have experienced where I haven't broken any bones however have experienced second degree and third degree and first degree burn wounds, embarassment is the greatest physical pain I've felt albeit I was depressed at the time, which massively exacerbates emotional--things I find.

Any thoughts on this?

58 minutes ago, PsiSeeker said:

Looking back over my life of the pain I have experienced where I haven't broken any bones however have experienced second degree and third degree and first degree burn wounds, embarassment is the greatest physical pain I've felt albeit I was depressed at the time, which massively exacerbates emotional--things I find.

Any thoughts on this?

Hello, thank you for the invitation for thoughts.  I would like to offer some words.  I use the word a lot but this is about you and the scars of burns.  For me, burns are the most traumatic of all.  The pain is something I truly believe to be the most horrific pain of pain.  You cut yourself or break a bone, the pain is there but generally speaking a month will take away most of the pain.  Burns are a forever pain due to the repeat operations or skin grafts.  So you have my empathy. 

Something else as you have said is that the scars also last a lifetime.  I can understand how you can't just walk down the street or go into a store or restaurant without feeling like everybody is looking.  You are using the word embarassment to describe your greatest pain.

I can offer up some good all natural burn and scarring ideas but, we should know if you want to share, where are you with the medical aspect of operations and burn stages.  For example: are the burns in the blistering stages or are the burns all healed and scarring is left.  Do you have to have any skin grafts still to come?  I hope I am making this clear, as I have been told my language skills are a little off. 

So Im with you.

6 hours ago, PsiSeeker said:

Any thoughts on this?

Both my hands are covered in scars from being cut and burned. You either accept it or stay self-conscious over it. If you accept it then you shouldn't be affected by others opinion about it. I put a nail in my finger yesterday. Just another scar to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, R.A.L.sees said:

Hello, thank you for the invitation for thoughts.  I would like to offer some words.  I use the word a lot but this is about you and the scars of burns.  For me, burns are the most traumatic of all.  The pain is something I truly believe to be the most horrific pain of pain.  You cut yourself or break a bone, the pain is there but generally speaking a month will take away most of the pain.  Burns are a forever pain due to the repeat operations or skin grafts.  So you have my empathy. 

Something else as you have said is that the scars also last a lifetime.  I can understand how you can't just walk down the street or go into a store or restaurant without feeling like everybody is looking.  You are using the word embarassment to describe your greatest pain.

I can offer up some good all natural burn and scarring ideas but, we should know if you want to share, where are you with the medical aspect of operations and burn stages.  For example: are the burns in the blistering stages or are the burns all healed and scarring is left.  Do you have to have any skin grafts still to come?  I hope I am making this clear, as I have been told my language skills are a little off. 

So Im with you.

My thinking regarding burn wounds has recently changed where I'm considering specifically burns such as sunburn and hot irons.  Not wide spread enough to require the sorts of treatments where I'm uncertain to the extend of the pain I had experienced outside sunburn in terms of degree.  As far as I understand third degree burns is pain one does not necessarily suffer for very long however the scaring lasts forever, specifically damage to the third layer of the epidermis.  Is sunburn damage to the third, second, or first, or all, and what does it mean if the damage is uniform?  I don't believe to have experienced great physical pain by way of torment, depression is worse than any of the burn scarring I hear so far, which is what I had in my teenage years that is the reason I think for making embarassment so much more severe.  Embarassment is the skin burning in sensation, was, when I still had depression.

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Both my hands are covered in scars from being cut and burned. You either accept it or stay self-conscious over it. If you accept it then you shouldn't be affected by others opinion about it. I put a nail in my finger yesterday. Just another scar to me.

Do you find psychological trauma, or lain, or aftermath, worse than the physical sensation though?  I'm purely camera view here.

Betraying love... 

Winston: "I betrayed you." Julia (continues): "Sometimes they threaten you with something - something you can't stand up to, can't even think about. And then you say, 'Don't do it to me, do it to somebody else, do it to so-and-so. ' And perhaps you might pretend, afterwards, that it was only a trick...Apr 13, 2010

[00.02:41]

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Betraying love... 

[00.02:41]

~

I agree, yet, giving birth is up there as far as physical pain, literally nothing could possibly be worse as far as pain goes,  but easy to get past once you hold your baby but a broken heart is worse and so unrelenting...

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I agree, yet, giving birth is up there as far as physical pain, literally nothing could possibly be worse as far as pain goes,  but easy to get past once you hold your baby but a broken heart is worse and so unrelenting...

That's what I meant, one you feel it in your body and it goes away but it's all in the mind, the other you feel it in your mind but it's all in your body and it never goes away... 

~

• Thanks 1

I was told being drawn and quartered was one of the most painful deaths.Skinned alive wouldn't be fun either.Your kids dying young would be a physical pain too much for many to handle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi, thank you for clarifying.  If you can find some cocoa butter, tremendous for scarring any age any reason.  OK?  Geranium essential oil with a "carrier" oil works really good on skin damage.  Just an FYI, the carrier oil is like (I use jojoba), or almond oil or even olive oil if that is what you have.  There is a slight formula, but, I can give you suggestions.  Use 21 drops of geranium with 1/3 cup carrier oil.  I am not a dr.  But could work very nicely for scarring or burns of any kind.  Including the sun, or hot pan,  If you adjust the oils, peppermint can cool the heat.  

For the others: you are right, having a baby is pain that is rewarded with a baby which takes away some of the physical pain and depending on circumstances will go away.

Burn patients with 3rd over their body the pain continues for years, operations, skin grafts, several times.

I'm really glad you are not suffering those kind of burns.  These suggestions may help the physical,, hope they do. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, openozy said:

I was told being drawn and quartered was one of the most painful deaths.Skinned alive wouldn't be fun either.Your kids dying young would be a physical pain too much for many to handle.

Indeed, losing a child would be awful just the thought of it is. 

• Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 9:37 AM, PsiSeeker said:

Any thoughts on this?

The midhight stepping on lego blocks followed by a pinky toe splitting on a corner is probably the most acute pain you can feel !

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Indeed, losing a child would be awful just the thought of it is. 

Yes,I know how the state my mum was in when she found my brother passed away at 23.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3. Kidney Stone (I can vouch for this..)

2. Childbirth (so I'm told)

but the winner (again from personal experience..)

1. Being smacked on the thigh by a squash ball hit very, very, very hard.  I was lucky it was my thigh, I guess....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Kidney Stone (I can vouch for this..)

I also can vouch for that,dropped me onto the floor.They say it is very similar to giving birth,so hats off to the ladies.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

The midhight stepping on lego blocks followed by a pinky toe splitting on a corner is probably the most acute pain you can feel !

A lot can remember the lego pain I'd imagine, lol.The toe thing is sure to get a laugh from onlookers,at least in my family, lol.

• Haha 1

Years ago I injured the nerves in my fingers when I stayed outdoors for too long when the temperature was -15F  (-26.1C). Ever since, when my fingers get cold, I have to lie down in a dark room until the pain subsides. Fortunately, the pain only lasts about 30 minutes, and when it’s over I forget about it and go on with whatever I was doing. It’s made me very sympathetic toward people who live with chronic pain. 
And I agree with those of you saying that emotional pain is worse. After an emotionally devastating event, life can be put on hold for days (or months). 

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 3

For me, gall stone pain.  Far worse than childbirth any day (I have had two children) in my personal opinion.  And I think pain levels can be related to some extent to the cause and your understanding of it.  Period pain can be horrendous, but like childbirth you know and understand why it is happening.  That seems to make the pain more tolerable.  It is physical pain you do not know the cause for that makes you frightened, possibly, so that it seems worse.  Fear and pain - not a good mix.  Until my gall stones were diagnosed (and offending organ removed) the pain was 10 on the scale of 1-10 but unexplained initially.  I am sure that made it feel worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, razman said:

Tooth pain can get up there at times.

Oh yes, especially when the nerve is dying in the wisdom tooth.

I had a severe dental infection that required an extraction and anesthesia couldn't reach it.

I had nitrous, that was it, and the dissociation was the only thing that made that whole affair tolerable.

I also had C.Diff as a result of the massive load of antibiotics they put me on after the fact.

The worst physical pain I experienced was when I lost a tooth filling, and had an exposed nerve. A close second would be getting kicked in the balls.

The worst emotional pain was holding my dads hand as he took his last breaths.

Edited by CigaretteSmokingMan
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Worst physical pain I've experienced as stomach pain or very bad sunburn is still nothing compared to what a relationship ending felt like while I was suffering from Bipolar depression.  My skin felt like it was burning and the emotional pain was an absolute agony to beholden.  It is said that losing a loved one is exactly the same as having a limb amputated.

When at hospital a psychiatric registrar confirmed my view that psychological pain is worse than physical.  In particular, I think, due to there being no physical stimulation at the biological level present to cause certain reactions in the body proper itself to alleviate some of the pain.

A broken heart might be just as if not more painful than an actual heart attack.

One wonders, does it make sense to take pain tablets when one is experiencing physical ache from emotional trauma?  Something else too, is it possible for physical injury not head related to cause some sort of emotional agony?  Also, along this vain, should depression be thought of as a more physical ailments alongside anxiety than a psychological one since if I recall correctly it's biologically caused by an imbalance of neurotransmitters as one of the ways, at least, in which it presents itself?  This brings up an interesting question of what precisely the relationship\s is\are between neurology, psychiatry and psychology on a physical level.