Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Old Time Radio Programs

Space Moose

Since a good portion of this section of the forum seems to focus on things of a scarry nature, I thought some might appreciate what old time radio shows have to offer.

As they say at the conculsion of every CBS Radio Mystery Theatre, they are the "fear you can hear", which really hits the nail on the head. By far, there is something more disturbing about not being able to see what is causing danger. Being able to mold it in your head gives you the chance to view the elements of the story in exactly the way you find most scarry is worth far more than the goreist scene in any movie. I suppose the same could be said of books, but with the spoken voice comes inflection and emotion that might be lost on the printed page.

Anyway, I just thought that others might appreciate another avenue of entertainment when they are looking for a fright. I recommend the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre for a wide variety of macabre topics, X Minus One for a Science Fiction flavour and I don't think anyone should miss out on the War of the Worlds.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Moose

• SpaceyKC

• albaqwerty

• neen

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

your right spacemoose no amount of "scary" movies could ever compete against our imaginations. ph34r.gifph34r.gif CBS radio mystery theatre, how do i get it?

I'm curious too Space Moose, I didn't think they had that since

tv became popular.

I guess it would be alot like these 'audio books' I get from the

library. With a good narrator, it's more exciting than just reading

(you still have to visualize the person's appearance and the scenery).

The imagination is wonderful!

When "they" make a film/tv prog of a radio programme it can be such a letdown.

Found a couple of websites re radio mysteries

live365

also, the following has no cennection with CBS or its affiliates:

Radio Mysteries

hope the linkies work

Actaully, one of the best personalities was Vincent Price, at least in my opinion. He does an excellent version of Three Skeleton Key.

I don't think that there are too many being produced these days, certinaly not in the volume they once were, but the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre did exist in production during the 80s. Older ones are neat because they reflect a completly different view on life, like presenting someone with a carton of cigarettes at the end of an episode.

To get such programs, sometimes you can catch them during latenight on talk-radio stations. They are cheap filler. You may end up with anything though, and it is all subject to availability in your area. Some sites offer streaming programs, like the 365 link provided.

File sharing programs are a good place to go for anything, and Old Time Radio is really no different. This does present certian issues realting to copyright, but that is for you to sort out. Many collections are listed with OTR in the title, and CBSRMT works well for the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre.

If you are looking for someplace to start, try to hear these five shows:

1. Mercury Theatre - War of the Worlds

2. Lux Radio Theatre - The Day the Earth Stood Still

3. Suspense - Three Skeleton Key

4. CBS Radio Mystery Theatre - Them!

5. CBS Radio Mystery Theatre - The Devil's Boutique