Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery behind body odour solved

Eldorado

"Scientists have unravelled the mysterious mechanism behind the armpit’s ability to produce the pungent smell of body odour.

"Researchers at the University of York traced the source of underarm odour to a particular enzyme in a certain microbe that lives in the human armpit.

"To prove the enzyme was the chemical culprit, the scientists transferred it to an innocent member of the underarm microbe community and noted – to their delight – that it too began to emanate bad smells.

"The work paves the way for more effective deodorants and antiperspirants, the scientists believe, and suggests that humans may have inherited the mephitic microbes from our ancient primate ancestors."

Full monty at the UK Guardian: Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"To prove the enzyme was the chemical culprit, the scientists transferred it to an innocent member of the underarm microbe community and noted – to their delight – that it too began to emanate bad smells.

:D 

It's just funny i can't stop laugh. Science is also sacrifice. Imagine scientists around the experiment, drawing straws to decide who will do next test, then ask him ''is it the same smell'' - ''Nah, this is way worse''.

• Haha 5

Be careful! That enzyme might be the only thing preventing global overpopulation!

• Haha 5

Women go wild for my natural scent. I never shower, yet I have to beat them off with a shîtty stick!

Seriously, though.....

Men try to attract women with their pheromones, and they don't even know they're doing it!  That's why they will often talk to a woman they are trying to seduce by leaning on a wall with their arm stretched upwards, wafting their sweat in her general direction.

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, acute said:

Women go wild for my natural scent. I never shower, yet I have to beat them off with a shîtty stick!

Seriously, though.....

Men try to attract women with their pheromones, and they don't even know they're doing it!  That's why they will often talk to a woman they are trying to seduce by leaning on a wall with their arm stretched upwards, wafting their sweat in her general direction.

I laugh, but it's kinda true. Lol.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

I laugh, but it's kinda true. Lol.

It really is true!

People mistakenly believe that women give off these attraction pheromones, but it's actually men.

Women just display.

• Haha 2

Just now, acute said:

It really is true!

People mistakenly believe that women give off these attraction pheromones, but it's actually men.

Women just display.

I have actually banned the significant other from wearing any deodorant. 

It's true...some guys just smell friggin' awesome. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GlitterRose said:

It's true...some guys just smell friggin' awesome.

It's totally natural.

We think we are so evolved and sophisticated, but we play an old game.

• Like 3

I don't always smell great so I sniff and dance... 

~

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I don't always smell great so I sniff and dance... 

If there's anyone I don't want to sniff.....

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, acute said:

If there's anyone I don't want to sniff.....

You're always welcome to a lick... 

:D

~

• Haha 2