Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

NASA launches Perseverance rover into space

Still Waters

NASA has successfully launched its new Perseverance rover to Mars, beginning a mission to search for signs of alien life on the planet.

The Mars 2020 mission launched on the back of an Atlas V rocket, the most powerful currently in use by humanity, which took its payload to an altitude of greater than 250 miles - the same as the International Space Station - in three minutes.

It sets the ground not only to discover whether life ever existed on Mars but also ahead of a potential manned mission to put the first humans on the red planet.

https://news.sky.com/story/nasa-launches-new-mars-rover-to-search-for-signs-of-alien-life-12039143

• Like 7

docyabut2

cool they are sending more rovers to Mars

seanjo

Exciting...

qxcontinuum

Was It upgraded to a 2 megapixels photo camera?

Waspie_Dwarf
On 8/14/2020 at 4:33 AM, qxcontinuum said:

Exactly which camera are you talking about? Curiosity has 17 cameras, Perseverance has 23.

Why would it be "upgraded" to 2 megapixel when Curiosity already has a 2 megapixel science camera? In fact several of the cameras on Perseverance have around 20 megapixel capability

• Like 2

qxcontinuum
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Exactly which camera are you talking about? Curiosity has 17 cameras, Perseverance has 23.

Why would it be "upgraded" to 2 megapixel when Curiosity already has a 2 megapixel science camera? In fact several of the cameras on Perseverance have around 20 megapixel capability

Because nasa is always using 20 - 30 years older vintage tehnology, yeah i know: must be radiaton proof and all that ... i see however that perseverence is having a 20 mega pixels ... very good!

Edited by qxcontinuum

Waspie_Dwarf
3 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Because nasa is always using 20 - 30 years older vintage tehnology, yeah i know: must be radiaton proof and all that ... i see however that perseverence is having a 20 mega pixels ... very good!

Total and utter rubbish.

Your posts clearly prove that you don't have a clue what technology NASA uses.

• Like 1

qxcontinuum
18 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Total and utter rubbish.

Your posts clearly prove that you don't have a clue what technology NASA uses.

I actualy do, all the info is made public and everyoane can review it. Between curiosity's heavily crticised ancient technology and perseverence there is now a noticeable gap, I am gladd to see Nasa steping up to align European, Chinese and Japanese tehnology thought they are awfully behind. 

Emma_Acid
Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2020 at 6:30 AM, qxcontinuum said:

There are many reasons Nasa used a 2mp camera for Curiosity: data transmission limitations, the fact that as nothing really moves on Mars you don't need anything higher to capture panoramas; the fact that it has other bits of imaging equipment etc.

But the main reason they use "20 year old technology" is that the Curiosity mission is 20 years old. You can't just switch and swap bits of tech over the lifetime of a project like it's made of lego. If its planned and budgeted to be a 2mp camera in 2004 when the project starts, and there is no real reason to change that over the lifetime of the pre-launch project, then they won't. It would mean redesigning other elements of the rover and considerable cost.

Stop looking for problems that aren't there.

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Waspie_Dwarf
14 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

I actualy do, all the info is made public and everyoane can review it. 

Really?

If you knew that Curiosity has a 2 megapixel camera and that Perseverance has 20 megapixel camera then you must have been lying when you said this:

On 8/14/2020 at 4:33 AM, qxcontinuum said:

If you didn't know that then you must have been lying when you said this:

I actualy do

It is impossible for you to be telling the truth in both of those posts, so which one were you lying in?

As for this:

I am gladd to see Nasa steping up to align European, Chinese and Japanese tehnology thought they are awfully behind. 

More meaningless nonsense. How can NASA Mars rover technology be catching up with Europe, China and Japan when only NASA has successfully landed on Mars?

You make your self look foolish with your anti-NASA posts as they are always factually incorrect. 

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

- Attributed to Abraham Lincoln. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Waspie_Dwarf
Posted (edited)

I am gladd to see Nasa steping up to align European, Chinese and Japanese tehnology thought they are awfully behind. 

Since Japan currently has no plans for a Mars rover that is just nonsense we can ignore. 

China is rather secretive about the scientific payload on the rover portion of the Tianwen-1 mission and I have not yet been able to find the resolution of the cameras it has.

That leaves the European Rosalind Franklin rover.

That is still sitting on Earth because ESA could not sort out problems with its parachutes in time to make the launch window. It will now launch in 2022, that's 2 years after Perseverance and 11 years after Curiosity. The highest resolution camera on board Rosalind Franklin is the High Resolution Camera (HRC), which is one of two cameras which make up the PanCam. The resolution of the HRC? That would be 1 megapixel. 

Care to carry on telling us how NASA technology is lagging behind that of Europe again?

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.