Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Portland and Feds reach agreement

OverSword

So basically the trump administration has agreed to pull back federal police (but not leave Portland quite yet) on the condition that the state police come in and reinforce the city police.  So after nearly two months of violent protests (which for some reason were not reported nationally until the federal government got involved) There will be no de-funding of the Portland police and more police will be sent in to quell the rioting.  So the protesters have won zero.

The Trump administration has reached an agreement with Oregon's Democratic governor to withdraw federal officers from downtown Portland, though the Department of Homeland Security says it will maintain a presence in the city until it believes federal locations there are secure.

The decision to send federal agents into Portland earlier this month escalated tensions in the city, which has seen prolonged and at times violent protests for the past two months over demands for racial justice and police accountability. President Donald Trump and acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf have said the federal officers were there to protect a federal courthouse in the city's downtown that has been a focal point for protesters, but the officers have also clashed with demonstrators.

The rest of the story at CNN

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

I give that building 2 weeks, max, before they are successful at burning it down once the Feds stop protecting it.

44 minutes ago, and then said:

I give that building 2 weeks, max, before they are successful at burning it down once the Feds stop protecting it.

Place a wager on that?  If it burns down within two weeks, I promise I will vote for Trump.  If it doesn't you vote for Biden.  Lets give it until August 13th.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, and then said:

5 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Place a wager on that?  If it burns down within two weeks, I promise I will vote for Trump.  If it doesn't you vote for Biden.  Lets give it until August 13th.

some federal officers, including ones from the US Marshals Service and the Federal Protective Service, will stay at the courthouse since they are usually there.

They will never be gone.  But if it makes you guys feel any better it doesn't really matter who you vote for.

• Thanks 1

Anyone see that video on the fox news , the dang democrats are finally cleaning up in Portland,  just like trump told them to-do, to clean up the mess , it shows the feds leavening, its shows the police are kicking the protesters living in the tents out of the park, the park is across the street of the court house they are trying to burn down.    

Edited by docyabut2

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

Anyone see that video on the fox news , the dang democrats are finally cleaning up in Portland,  just like trump told them to-do, to clean up the mess , it shows the feds leavening, its shows the police are kicking the protesters living in the tents out of the park, the park is across the street of the court house they are trying to burn down.  

Well there ya go.  As soon as the feds left, the locals got things in shape.

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

They will never be gone.  But if it makes you guys feel any better it doesn't really matter who you vote for.

If they succeed in burning that building down, I will honor my pledge.  If it doesn't burn down I still would rather vote for Jo than Joe.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

If they succeed in burning that building down, I will honor my pledge.  If it doesn't burn down I still would rather vote for Jo than Joe.

Well now it REALLY doesn't matter who you vote for :lol: We'll have a drink to impotency after they announce the winner

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Well now it REALLY doesn't matter who you vote for :lol: We'll have a drink to impotency after they announce the winner

I'll drink to that, and maybe better times ahead at some point.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

I'll drink to that, and maybe better times ahead at some point.  

Amen Brother 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Amen Brother 

I really wish a third party would become strong enough to become a real player in my lifetime.  I can wait a while, but not forever.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Amen Brother

By the way thanks for the Milton Friedman link.  I have listened to several of his lectures.  I do get irritated a t some points, but overall, he does make a lot of sense.

• Like 2

The night is young crazies are going to crazzie no matter what Law Enforcement officials do.

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

By the way thanks for the Milton Friedman link.  I have listened to several of his lectures.  I do get irritated a t some points, but overall, he does make a lot of sense.

Some of his ideas have become less than optimal due to changes our government has made since his time but the undeniable thing about much of what he said is true because the market is an organic system that follows certain rules regardless of artificial manipulation and going outside those rules eventually leads to collapse. Too bad people can’t see the truth in that or don’t trust humanity enough to utilize the obvious truths he endorsed 

Well that didn't last long.  Trump threatens to send National Guard into Portland

Donald Trump has threatened to send the National Guard into Portland if the governor and mayor fail to clear out what he says is a “beehive of terrorists”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-portland-national-guard-press-briefing-today-white-house-oregon-protests-a9647086.html

12 hours ago, OverSword said:

Some of his ideas have become less than optimal due to changes our government has made since his time but the undeniable thing about much of what he said is true because the market is an organic system that follows certain rules regardless of artificial manipulation and going outside those rules eventually leads to collapse. Too bad people can’t see the truth in that or don’t trust humanity enough to utilize the obvious truths he endorsed 

It helped me understand  one purpose of government and at least the basis for regulations even if the practice does get abused,  The government protects the third party from harm and protects their rights when an agreement between two other parties has external consequences.  Probably as abused as used.

• Like 1