Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

10 die drinking sanitiser in Indian state

Still Waters

At least 10 people have died after drinking alcohol-based sanitiser after liquor shops were closed in a village in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh.

The village of Kurichedu has been placed in lockdown after a local surge in cases of coronavirus.

District police chief Siddharth Kaushal said the people who died had mixed the sanitiser with water and soft drinks.

They were alcohol-dependent, he added, and had started drinking the mixture about 10 days before they died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-53614343

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

I worked weekends in a hospital gift shop/cafeteria during high school. Some patients that were hospitalized with severe alcohol-related illnesses would come in and buy bottles of Aqua Velva Aftershave to drink in their rooms.
I’m not sure why Aqua Velva was their drink of choice instead of Old Spice or Hai Karate. Maybe the Aqua Velva was aged longer?

Back when I was in Saudi Arabia for Desert Storm/Shield we had a few instances of our guys doing similar things.  Alcohol is illegal there so the guys were doing everything from drinking NyQuil to ordering ethanol.  The problem with the ethanol was that it was spiked with 10% or so of methanol to prevent human consumption.  I don't think anyone died, but I do remember talk of someone going blind and multiple gastrointestinal issues.  It was bad enough that we had to be briefed/warned on it when we arrived.