Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Six people who 'died and came back to life'

Eldorado

"Coventry Live and The Mirror report that, according to a relatively new study, you may actually know you are dead for quite some time after you die.

"You may even be able to hear your own death being announced.

"Some such people - those who have been medically dead and then resuscitated - may have an insight into what really goes on.

"They have taken to Reddit to answer the question: "What's it like to die?"

"Here are some of their answers..."

Full article at Somerset Live UK: https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/health/what-happens-when-you-die-4369566

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I think if you can be brought back then you weren't actual dead and that's why their still aware of goings on in their surroundings.

I have had this experience myself and i agree, i wasnt dead. You dont come back if you really die.

Edited by jamesjr191
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jamesjr191 said:

You dont come back if you really die.

James Bond did it in 'You Only Live Twice' movie. :P

• Haha 5

26 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I think if you can be brought back then you weren't actual dead and that's why their still aware of goings on in their surroundings.

This may be true on some level. However scientifically speaking, I’ve read probably thousands of accounts where these people were clinically dead. Everything science understands about deaths criteria has been fulfilled. 

Fascinating when you really think about it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This looks like another article dealing with the Near Death Experience      This is a subject I have studied closely for decades now.

My position after decades of study and consideration is that we have a physical body with an interpenetrating astral/mental body creating our normal waking consciousness. Upon major trauma to the physical body (usually physical death inducing) the astral/mental body separates from the physical body and can observe the scene hovering at first near the physical body. Through astral sensing you can peacefully watch the trauma scene around the physical body. In cases of actual physical death the astral/mental body gradually finds its way to the peace and serenity of the higher astral planes usually with guidance.

In Near Death Experiences the astral/mental body returns to the recovering physical body and then experiences through the physical body again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

This may be true on some level. However scientifically speaking, I’ve read probably thousands of accounts where these people were clinically dead. Everything science understands about deaths criteria has been fulfilled. 

it is fascinating, but what's the evolutionary advantage of being dead but still being "aware"  -  i wonder what purpose?  maybe our medical definition of dead needs adjusting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

This looks like another article dealing with the Near Death Experience      This is a subject I have studied closely for decades now.

My position after decades of study and consideration is that we have a physical body with an interpenetrating astral/mental body creating our normal waking consciousness. Upon major trauma to the physical body (usually physical death inducing) the astral/mental body separates from the physical body and can observe the scene hovering at first near the physical body. Through astral sensing you can peacefully watch the trauma scene around the physical body. In cases of actual physical death the astral/mental body gradually finds its way to the peace and serenity of the higher astral planes usually with guidance.

In Near Death Experiences the astral/mental body returns to the recovering physical body and then experiences through the physical body again.

I too have been interested in this topic for some time now.  At least one of the books I read on the topic was quite compelling.  I also know personally one person who had the experience, and a few others I know online from here.  One of the aspects of the phenomenon that I find very interesting is that for many people who have the experience (including the person I know personally) - there is a claim that the "soul" or mind, spirit, whatever you wish to call it - is able to see the physical body from a perspective above the person's body.  For example, the person I know was badly injured in a motorcycle accident.  He was able to recall the paramedics working on him and he claims to have been able to see it from above.....as if he was floating above his own physical body, but had enough awareness to remember specific details about what was going on.  This is something that is common to many people who experience the phenomenon, and in some cases there is evidence that they did in fact observe things and get the details correct.  There is no explanation for these facts as I see it, if in fact they are accurately documented IMHO. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Guyver said:

I too have been interested in this topic for some time now.  At least one of the books I read on the topic was quite compelling.  I also know personally one person who had the experience, and a few others I know online from here.  One of the aspects of the phenomenon that I find very interesting is that for many people who have the experience (including the person I know personally) - there is a claim that the "soul" or mind, spirit, whatever you wish to call it - is able to see the physical body from a perspective above the person's body.  For example, the person I know was badly injured in a motorcycle accident.  He was able to recall the paramedics working on him and he claims to have been able to see it from above.....as if he was floating above his own physical body, but had enough awareness to remember specific details about what was going on.  This is something that is common to many people who experience the phenomenon, and in some cases there is evidence that they did in fact observe things and get the details correct.  There is no explanation for these facts as I see it, if in fact they are accurately documented IMHO. 

Yes, this is one of the strongest phenomena supporting life after death.

The veridical cases where the experiencer reports knowledge of verifiable things and events they couldn’t reasonably have learned through normal channels are extremely compelling.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevewinn said:

There was a thread recently about hearing being the last thing that goes. Would explain a lot. People get near the edge and brought back. The brain tries to fill in the blanks, coupled with whatever belief system they have, etc. 

• Like 5

You can't report life after death if you haven't died. Someone comes back a month after they died, that's a coma.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

it is fascinating, but what's the evolutionary advantage of being dead but still being "aware"  -  i wonder what purpose?  maybe our medical definition of dead needs adjusting.

Maybe, but not without valid scientific evidence. We can’t just change it because we don’t like where this potentially leads. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterk505 said:

`An artifact of an oxygen-starved brain IMHO.

Hi Peter

I once had a kiss that starved my brain of oxygen in the most delightful way.:D

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peterk505 said:

`An artifact of an oxygen-starved brain IMHO.

That’s long been disproven. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

That’s long been disproven. 

From the looks of it, it is still on the table as a possible explanation. You just want there to be an afterlife. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Once you pass over your body is dead and can't be revived.Not saying your soul is gone but has left your body never to return.Different to NDEs.

22 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"Coventry Live and The Mirror report that, according to a relatively new study, you may actually know you are dead for quite some time after you die.

"You may even be able to hear your own death being announced.

"Some such people - those who have been medically dead and then resuscitated - may have an insight into what really goes on.

"They have taken to Reddit to answer the question: "What's it like to die?"

"Here are some of their answers..."

Full article at Somerset Live UK: https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/health/what-happens-when-you-die-4369566

Our current understanding of brain death is that the brain cells which have been starved of oxygen from between 3 to 15 minutes are not in fact dead. A process is triggered in them that degrades their cell walls so that the internal contents of the cells spew out. That process actually takes several days to complete and during that time if oxygen is restored to those cells the dying process is reversed.

The problem is two-fold. The first is that when oxygen is restored the neurons no longer fire in the complex patterns across the brain needed for the persons brain to support life or consciousness. Although it should be pointed out that this too is reversible. Those damaged neurons will repair themselves over time so if someone was put on life support they are recoverable.

The second problem (and this is the big one) is that their immune system detects and then attacks the damaged neurons. So if a person drowns, it takes 30 minutes to fish them out of the water, CPR is done, they get to hospital, and they manage to get a heart beat, they then move them up to life support and on put on monitoring for 48 hours to watch what happens with their neurons.

They receive a brain scan to see what their neurons to ascertain how many are damaged when they arrive at hospital. They receive a brain scan 48 hours to see what the immune system has done to their brain. At which point a ruling on brain death is made. If the immune system has cleaned out too many neurons such that their brain can no longer support life they are ruled brain dead.

If its touch and go the patient is given a further two weeks before they are rescanned to see what the final outcome of their immune system attacking their damaged neurons is, before a fresh ruling on brain death is made. Drugs and treatments are available to take the edge of the activity of their immune system but they wont prevent the immune system wiping out large numbers of brain cells if there is heavy damage.

The idea there is no electrical activity in the brains of dead patients is wrong. It is there, but not the same type of activity seen in a normal healthy brain. It is thought to be random uncoordinated firing, but it may in fact give them some awareness as to what is going on.

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

From the looks of it, it is still on the table as a possible explanation. You just want there to be an afterlife. 

1990 called, they want their theory on Oxygen deprivation being the cause of NDE’s back. :P

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

1990 called, they want their theory on Oxygen deprivation being the cause of NDE’s back. :P

You mean the resulting flood of neurochemicals that's results from it. Which creates a hallucinatory experience. It's brain chemistry.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:55 AM, preacherman76 said:

Not all that fascinating...not everything science understands about death has been fulfilled in any of these cases.  Cellular decomposition has not begun...separation of blood has not begun.   The fact that they are still alive negates the idea that they were 'dead'.   How could you know you were dead?  Zero brain activity is zero brain activity...however, if you have zero brain activity and then you have brain activiity begin again...you still have memory...so...memory is a funny thing.  Not reliable.

• Like 3

I think most here would agree with the observer effect in our reality but most here would find the power of belief to be hysterical.

On 8/1/2020 at 6:46 PM, XenoFish said:

Not when you really look at it. Oxygen deprivation can not cause long detailed hallucinations. At least that isn’t anywhere near proven. Like many of these subjects we get a detailed description of events that happen during NDE’s then they throw in the word “hallucination” and that’s supposed to prove the theory. You guys seem to drop your own standards of scientific evidence when it comes to the paranormal when it matches your world view. Like we hear so often, where is the proof?

Im perfectly fine with the idea of there being, or not being a afterlife. 

On 8/2/2020 at 9:28 AM, joc said:

Not all that fascinating...not everything science understands about death has been fulfilled in any of these cases.  Cellular decomposition has not begun...separation of blood has not begun.   The fact that they are still alive negates the idea that they were 'dead'.   How could you know you were dead?  Zero brain activity is zero brain activity...however, if you have zero brain activity and then you have brain activiity begin again...you still have memory...so...memory is a funny thing.  Not reliable.

Memory works just fine when you compare the thousands of cases, and search for patterns, of which there are many. 

Why assume that because a person was brought back to life, that they weren’t dead? With no intervention they would have stayed dead. 

15 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Not when you really look at it. Oxygen deprivation can not cause long detailed hallucinations. At least that isn’t anywhere near proven. Like many of these subjects we get a detailed description of events that happen during NDE’s then they throw in the word “hallucination” and that’s supposed to prove the theory. You guys seem to drop your own standards of scientific evidence when it comes to the paranormal when it matches your world view. Like we hear so often, where is the proof?

Im perfectly fine with the idea of there being, or not being a afterlife. 

The paranormal is crap. After the event occurs and people recount there experience with people filling in the blanks, all of it is nonsense. They were never truly dead in the first place.