Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seattle move to abolish police department

WVK

If carried out this should prove interesting:

"Seattle City Council move to abolish police department with new bill Arguing that the Seattle Police Department “perpetuates racism and violence” and upholds “white supremacy culture,” the Seattle City Council moved to redirect cash to a non-profit, civilian-led “Department of Community Safety & Violence Prevention” — and offered a “blueprint” on how to defund the police, according to the resolution."

https://nypost.com/2020/07/31/seattle-city-council-move-to-abolish-police-department-with-new-bill/

https://bluelivesmatter.blue/city-council-looks-to-abolish-seattle-pd-replace-with-community-solutions/

• Haha 2

• The title was changed to Seattle move to abolish police department
2 hours ago, WVK said:

"Seattle City Council move to abolish police department with new bill Arguing that the Seattle Police Department “perpetuates racism and violence” and upholds “white supremacy culture,” the Seattle City Council moved to redirect cash to a non-profit, civilian-led “Department of Community Safety & Violence Prevention” — and offered a “blueprint” on how to defund the police, according to the resolution."

https://nypost.com/2020/07/31/seattle-city-council-move-to-abolish-police-department-with-new-bill/

https://bluelivesmatter.blue/city-council-looks-to-abolish-seattle-pd-replace-with-community-solutions/

Seems like a lot of errort for a non-problem.  9 unarmed blacks killed by police in 2019. Given that how will this play out?

Mindbogglingly misleading and emotion-laden move by another city council looking for attention. My attention produced an eye-roll and a face-palm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, WVK said:

Seems like a lot of errort for a non-problem.  9 unarmed blacks killed by police in 2019. Given that how will this play out?

My prediticon 

Just now, papageorge1 said:

Mindbogglingly misleading and emotion-laden move by another city council looking for attention. 

Attention or is he a True Believer

As GlitterRose has already pointed out, only the Racist and Whie Nationalist parts of the police will be taken out of police control

The 911 call centre, and traffic managment. (parking tickets). :P

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

This part I am happy about 

The Office of Police Accountability, which is already an independent office, will now be funded outside of SPD's budget.

The call center seperation seems odd to me though.

Also don't like this part

The city is also halting plans to grow its police force in 2021 and will not fill 40 civilian job vacancies. The city also plans to look into officer overtime and staffing for special events, such as sports games. Special event overtime will be reduced by 30,000 hours with a saving of roughly $2.7 million, according to a statement

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, WVK said:

These two sites confused Seattle with Minneapolis.  You need better sources.

There's no such action currently being discussed in Seattle.

You should have been suspicious when neither article actually linked to something with the Seattle City Council or a local Seattle source.  

You can check the Seattle Times for yourself. https://www.seattletimes.com/

And here's what was proposed for Minneapolis.  http://news.minneapolismn.gov/2020/06/26/city-council-advances-proposed-ballot-measure-asking-voters-to-create-a-new-department-of-community-safety-and-violence-prevention/

Doublecheck your sources.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Sometimes it is a necessity because of racism or corruption within the Department. Other cities have.

and yet  all this racism and corrucption has resulted  in only 9 unarmed blacks killed in 2019. Does spending a TON  of money

on a non-problem a good idea?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

These two sites confused Seattle with Minneapolis.  You need better sources.

You should have been suspicious when neither article actually linked to something with the Seattle City Council or a local Seattle source.  

You can check the Seattle Times for yourself. https://www.seattletimes.com/

And here's what was proposed for Minneapolis.  http://news.minneapolismn.gov/2020/06/26/city-council-advances-proposed-ballot-measure-asking-voters-to-create-a-new-department-of-community-safety-and-violence-prevention/

Doublecheck your sources.

What are the goals (and cost) of reorganization,  For example a goal of less then 9 unarmed black per year killed by police 

29 minutes ago, WVK said:

and yet  all this racism and corrucption has resulted  in only 9 unarmed blacks killed in 2019. Does spending a TON  of money

on a non-problem a good idea?

"Racist" and "Police Officer" should never be three words put together. They are a part of the criminal justice system. Can a racist Police Officer really be impartial or non biased towards people of color when interacting on the streets, or in a court room? The Police Officers word will most always be taken over a citizens in court. This goes far beyond how many unarmed men were killed by Police. If a city needs to dismantle their Police force to root out corruption or racism, so be it.

How many of those 9 unarmed blacks killed by will cost the cities tons of money?

I saw a video of a white paraplegic in a wheelchair hold up an "ink pen" and the Police shot him dead, such a threat, wow.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, WVK said:

What are the goals (and cost) of reorganization,  For example a goal of less then 9 unarmed black per year killed by police 

Canden NJ was successful. They got rid of the Police and created a countywide force. It is a success.  https://www.newsmax.com/politics/crime-police-disband-protests/2020/06/09/id/971370/

Camden reported 67 murders in 2012 before the change. In 2019, there were 25 murders. Excessive force complaints shrunk from 65 complaints in 2012 to 3 in 2019. The crime rate has dropped from 79 per 1,000 to 44 per 1,000 since the new department was brought in, according to records.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Canden NJ was successful. They got rid of the Police and created a countywide force. It is a success.  https://www.newsmax.com/politics/crime-police-disband-protests/2020/06/09/id/971370/

Camden reported 67 murders in 2012 before the change. In 2019, there were 25 murders. Excessive force complaints shrunk from 65 complaints in 2012 to 3 in 2019. The crime rate has dropped from 79 per 1,000 to 44 per 1,000 since the new department was brought in, according to records.  

But Camden had a real problem.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WVK said:

That wasn't my point.

My point is that you used a source with an alarming headline without checking to see how true it was.  There will be a lot more inflammatory stories going around as election approaches and my hope is that you recognize this and will use better sources (and doublecheck) in the future.  Confusing two different cities a thousand miles apart to make a clickbait headline is a typical tactic of Russian information trolling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

I saw a video of a white paraplegic in a wheelchair hold up an "ink pen" and the Police shot him dead, such a threat, wow.

OK wheres the video lets see it?

9 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

That wasn't my point.

My point is that you used a source with an alarming headline without checking to see how true it was.  There will be a lot more inflammatory stories going around as election approaches and my hope is that you recognize this and will use better sources (and doublecheck) in the future.  Confusing two different cities a thousand miles apart to make a clickbait headline is a typical tactic of Russian information trolling.

The story is still there, prehaps you should take it up with the author

https://nypost.com/author/natalie-oneill/

1 minute ago, WVK said:

No.... as I said, you need to recognize that those sources aren't good ones.  Next time they put up some sort of exciting headline, make sure you check to see if it's actually true... or in this case, if they're confusing cities in states thousands of miles apart.

NyPost is a tabloid and they get a lot of stuff wrong.  APNews is far more reliable, but the headlines are less exciting.

• Like 3

Just now, Kenemet said:

No.... as I said, you need to recognize that those sources aren't good ones.  Next time they put up some sort of exciting headline, make sure you check to see if it's actually true... or in this case, if they're confusing cities in states thousands of miles apart.

NyPost is a tabloid and they get a lot of stuff wrong.  APNews is far more reliable, but the headlines are less exciting.

Should the NYPost author be contacted. Shouldn;t be a problem to correct unless meant as intentional disinformation.

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

These two sites confused Seattle with Minneapolis. 

Well,  to be fair, it can be tricky keeping those straight.   :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

It's long past time to partially defund Police departments that are over militarized and to overhaul the training and vetting process for instituting new officers.  I have police all throughout my family (from traffic cops to homicide detectives to CIA and FBI) and speak from an insider's position.  This system is wholly ****ed.

The defunding being discussed is partial.  The departments are not wiped out entirely, but some funds are redirected to include professionals trained in non military response to situations that don't require a heavy hand.  Who will accompany standard police and deal with situations with a broader scope of skills.

When your only tool in the toolbox is a hammer, every situation begins to look like a nail.  We need to diversify police response and emphasize training in de-escalating situations, rather than always trying to meet every situation with overwhelming force.

Look to the Scandanavian countries for help here.  They've been doing it right for decades.

Perhaps more important than any of the previous however is current legislation.

Legislation that protects officers from being prosecuted for abuse and murder needs to change.  Murder is murder, no matter who deals it out, there needs to be justice.

It's long passed time.  This is not going away.  It's time to demand and keep demanding until shift occurs.

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

That wasn't my point.

Thank you for calling out the hyperbole and the inconsistencies and the mis-information in such a logical and mature manner.  Reading these over-emotionally charged, ill-phrased and often purposely misleading news bytes hurts my heart, but reading well thought out and detail oriented responses from folks like you that clear up mistakes or intentional misleadingness, reminds me that there are many others who have their eyes open and are not just knee-jerk responding from assumptions and bias.

*bow of respect*

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Thousands of Black Men are killed by other Black men, where's your concern over that?

Look into the resources devoted to bringing justice to these cases, versus those devoted to white victims and you'll have your answer.  The problem is systemic.  The solution is systemic shift.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1