Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hoping that things change for black women

Eldorado

"According to the United Nations Populations Fund, domestic violence cases have increased by 20% since the beginning of the lockdown.

"However, there is a still a stigma of reporting such abuse in the African community."

Video report at the BBC: Link

"Increases in interpersonal violence during times of crisis are well documented.

"But wide underreporting has made response and data gathering a challenge, with less than 40 per cent of women who experience violence seeking any help or reporting the crime.

"Of those women who do seek help, less than 10 per cent go to the police."

At the UN: Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"According to the United Nations Populations Fund, domestic violence cases have increased by 20% since the beginning of the lockdown.

"However, there is a still a stigma of reporting such abuse in the African community."

"Increases in interpersonal violence during times of crisis are well documented.

"But wide underreporting has made response and data gathering a challenge, with less than 40 per cent of women who experience violence seeking any help or reporting the crime.

Kind of misleading by calling this out as related to skin color rather than location or rather culture.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

This is not just an issue in the African community, it is world wide, even in the U.S. and UK.  I am hoping that things change for ALL women.  We need to quit making "problems" about race.  What about the women in the middle east?  They have it tough and they are born into a culture that does not even give them a voice.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 9

The black community is still a little behind the mental health acceptance curve. The Latin community even more so.

But age still seems to correlate with mental health acceptance for all races in the U.S. the younger the more open they are to the idea of mental health problems and therapy.

I know this thread is about intimate partner violence but it made me think of the general views on mental health and therapy for these groups too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

That could be a good thing.   Where I am at, there are organizations that help battered women.   Perhaps most women are utilizing these.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Why isn't Black Lives Matter hot on this issue? I honestly feel it is because the perpetrators are overwhelmingly not white or police. That is one reason why I have a low opinion of BLM and am dubious of their intent. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

Why isn't Black Lives Matter hot on this issue? I honestly feel it is because the perpetrators are overwhelmingly not white or police. That is one reason why I have a low opinion of BLM and am dubious of their intent. 

I agree.  I am disappointed in BLM for staying silent on many things.   They have the ears of most black people.  They could encourage cultural change which is needed.   Teen pregnancies, single parents and many other things that are crippling them.  The fight against police brutality is good, but they can influence so much more to help.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Further reading:

"Black Women Are Staying Silent

"Why some Black women feel like they can’t disclose domestic violence"

https://www.domesticshelters.org/articles/escaping-violence/black-women-are-staying-silent

"Why Black Women Struggle More With Domestic Violence"

"Black women are almost three times as likely to experience death as a result of DV/IPV than White women. And while Black women only make up 8% of the population, 22% of homicides that result from DV/IPV happen to Black Women and 29% of all victimized women, making it one of the leading causes of death for Black women ages 15 to 35. Statistically, we experience sexual assault and DV/IPV at disproportionate rates and have the highest rates of intra-racial violence against us than any other group. We are also less likely to report or seek help when we are victimized."

https://time.com/3313343/ray-rice-black-women-domestic-violence/