Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
L.A.T.1961

Huge blast in Beirut

59 posts in this topic

docyabut2

To me its looks like a bomb hit it. it has to be look though to see what cause it.    

Jon the frog
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Wepwawet said:

Dramatic video from the Lebanon Times showing that the initial fire and explosion does in fact seem to be the result of pyrotechnics, or maybe munitions, and this then set of the nitrates.

Pyrotechnics ?

No idea as to the fate of whoever was filming. Maybe this is recorded from a livestream as it's difficult to believe that they survived

Yep it look like the pyrotechnics or amunition cooked it, but it's incredibly strange to stock that with a mountain of sodium nitrate... 

Look a lot like the 2015 Tianjin explosions !

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2

Mr.United_Nations
7 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

To me its looks like a bomb hit it. it has to be look though to see what cause it.    

No, you can see fireworks going off next to the building

• Like 3

Kismit

It's just heartbreaking 

• Like 3

Kismit
27 minutes ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

No, you can see fireworks going off next to the building

No official cause yet, but the source of explosion is being put on ammonium nitrate. Fertilizer.

• Like 4

psyche101
Posted (edited)

There was two major explosions at least.

You can see what looks very much like fireworks or munitions in the video in post #4 preceding the event.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 6

RoofGardener

There where 2700 tons of Ammonium Nitrate, whlch arrived in the port in 2014, and has been stored there ever since.

Incredibly, adjacent to the storage unit was a fireworks factory. The fireworks factory exploded, and this provided the energy to detonate the adjacent ammonium nitrite !

Why would the port authority (controlled by Hizbollah) or the government (controlled by Hizbollahl) want to store such extravagant quantities of explosive ? 

• Like 4

Gromdor

It was the Russians- specifically Russians with financial problems who more or less ended up abandoning their ship and cargo.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/europe/lebanon-russian-ship-blast-intl/index.html

Hate to say it, but this revelation is a relatively good thing.  Imagine if it indeed had been the Israelis messing with Hezbollah.

• Like 1

RoofGardener

Perhaps; but it seems odd that the Port Authority and the Government would allow it to remain there for six yearss. 

• Like 2

Wepwawet
On 8/4/2020 at 9:20 PM, Wepwawet said:

Dramatic video from the Lebanon Times showing that the initial fire and explosion does in fact seem to be the result of pyrotechnics, or maybe munitions, and this then set of the nitrates.

Pyrotechnics ?

No idea as to the fate of whoever was filming. Maybe this is recorded from a livestream as it's difficult to believe that they survived

The fimer was indeed livestreaming to five of his mates, who rushed to the scene when they realized there was a disaster happening. The guys name was Yusef, and he did not survive.

• Sad 3

Wepwawet
2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Perhaps; but it seems odd that the Port Authority and the Government would allow it to remain there for six yearss. 

Other more pressing issues, corruption, laissez faire attitudes. It's systemic, and while they have put the relevant port authorities under house arrest, they will be fall guys for the politicians. It cannot even be placed at the hands of the crew and owner of the ship, clearly a total !<#, as it was the Lebanese who confiscated the gargo and stored it in such an unsuitable condition and location.

• Like 1

Still Waters

First pictures emerge of a Russian man whose ammonium nitrate cargo detonated in the port of Beirut

https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/first-pictures-emerge-of-a-russian-businessman-whose-ammonium-nitrate-cargo-detonated-in-the-port-of-beirut/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Peter B
1 hour ago, Wepwawet said:

Other more pressing issues, corruption, laissez faire attitudes. It's systemic, and while they have put the relevant port authorities under house arrest, they will be fall guys for the politicians. It cannot even be placed at the hands of the crew and owner of the ship, clearly a total !<#, as it was the Lebanese who confiscated the gargo and stored it in such an unsuitable condition and location.

While some sort of deliberate act can't be ruled out, I tend to agree that negligence is the most likely explanation.

It's been pointed out that the city of Newcastle, a little north of Sydney, has an ammonium nitrate store that contains up to four times as much material as exploded in Beirut:

Newcastle's stockpile of between 6,000 to 12,000 tonnes is stored at Orica's Kooragang Island plant in the Port of Newcastle, according to the company.

"That factory is only three kilometres from Newcastle's CBD and only 800 metres from North Stockton residents," said chemical engineer and community campaigner Keith Craig.

• Sad 1

Wepwawet
2 hours ago, Peter B said:

While some sort of deliberate act can't be ruled out, I tend to agree that negligence is the most likely explanation.

It's been pointed out that the city of Newcastle, a little north of Sydney, has an ammonium nitrate store that contains up to four times as much material as exploded in Beirut:

I imagine that dump might now get moved, if only to satisfy the locals.

It would probably surprise many if they knew just how much bad or potentially bad stuff could be right next door to them. We know that gas stations are a potential large bomb, but don't think about the huge O2 tank, maybe several, at the local hospital, or that small manufacturing business round the corner that might not only have an 02 tank, but one or more banks of acetylene, which are not just potential bombs, but also rockets. Same with propane. Some large plants right by a town center may have stuff to make you have nightmares, and burn your eyes and lungs and remove your skin, then if you are lucky might vaporise you as a mercy when it explodes.

The frightening thing is that some of these potential bombs don't even need a source of ignition BLEVE - boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion

On the other hand, you can take a long stick of cordite from a propellant charge, hold in your hand, set light to the end and wave it about like a sparkler, so I'm told.....

• Thanks 1

Tatetopa

When I was young and worked in the forest industry, I got to see this stuff work.  There was an old guy named "Powder Bill".  One of his jobs was making rock quarries for logging roads.   A couple of guys that worked for him would dig a tunnel about two feet square into a rock face.   They would dig 25 feet in then T off 25 feet left and right.  The whole tunnel would be filled with ammonium nitrate fertilizer sacks from a farm supply store.  Powder Bill would set it off with a couple of sticks of dynamite and a blasting cap.

The explosion was massive and made several hundred cubic yards of rock suitable for road base.   A solid basalt cliff reduced to football sized rocks in a few seconds.

• Like 3

and then
9 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

There where 2700 tons of Ammonium Nitrate, whlch arrived in the port in 2014, and has been stored there ever since.

Incredibly, adjacent to the storage unit was a fireworks factory. The fireworks factory exploded, and this provided the energy to detonate the adjacent ammonium nitrite !

Why would the port authority (controlled by Hizbollah) or the government (controlled by Hizbollahl) want to store such extravagant quantities of explosive ? 

I guess it's a mistake they won't need to be making again, any time soon. :(   My guess is it got down to being as simple as corruption.  Someone probably was trying to make a buck and the dangers were ignored until the stuff was just forgotten.  No other explanation for storing fireworks next to a bomb...  I hope those who were buried in the rubble don't die before they can be reached.  That's the most horrible fate I can imagine.

• Like 1

and then
1 hour ago, Wepwawet said:

I imagine that dump might now get moved, if only to satisfy the locals.

It would probably surprise many if they knew just how much bad or potentially bad stuff could be right next door to them. We know that gas stations are a potential large bomb, but don't think about the huge O2 tank, maybe several, at the local hospital, or that small manufacturing business round the corner that might not only have an 02 tank, but one or more banks of acetylene, which are not just potential bombs, but also rockets. Same with propane. Some large plants right by a town center may have stuff to make you have nightmares, and burn your eyes and lungs and remove your skin, then if you are lucky might vaporise you as a mercy when it explodes.

The frightening thing is that some of these potential bombs don't even need a source of ignition BLEVE - boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion

On the other hand, you can take a long stick of cordite from a propellant charge, hold in your hand, set light to the end and wave it about like a sparkler, so I'm told.....

I recall this kind of event being part of the dangers of a liquified natural gas container ship.  The LNG was a mixture of 5 different types of gas that were blended at a very low temperature before being loaded into the ship's storage tanks.  The thing looked like a long thermos with multiple domes.  If the ship sits for too long without keeping the gases stirred, they can stratify, with the heaviest on top.  If this happens, motion can cause that layer to invert or slide over and the liquid vents into a gas and can empty the vessel in seconds.  They call it a flame-less explosion.

• Like 2

glorybebe
On 8/4/2020 at 3:56 PM, glorybebe said:

I agree, live streaming seems the most plausible since the screen goes to flames and smoke.  The poor, poor filter.  This whole thing is horrific 

You know, autocorrect sucks when 'people' becomes 'filter' :huh:

• Like 2

Peter B
7 hours ago, and then said:

I guess it's a mistake they won't need to be making again, any time soon. :(   My guess is it got down to being as simple as corruption.  Someone probably was trying to make a buck and the dangers were ignored until the stuff was just forgotten.  No other explanation for storing fireworks next to a bomb...  I hope those who were buried in the rubble don't die before they can be reached.  That's the most horrible fate I can imagine.

That certainly seems close to the mark, at least according to this report.

State news agency NNA said 16 people were taken into custody, with a judicial source and local media saying Beirut Port general manager Hassan Koraytem was among them...

Mr Koraytem...had told Lebanese broadcasters on Wednesday that several letters had been sent over the years to the country's judiciary requesting the removal of highly explosive material stored at the port...

... angry crowds began to gather in the streets demanding an end to a "regime" of Lebanese politicians they blame for corruption and dragging Lebanon into disaster...

Many Lebanese, who have lost jobs and watched savings evaporate in the financial crisis, said the blast was symptomatic of political cronyism and endemic corruption among the ruling elite.

• Like 1

DarkHunter
Posted (edited)

There are now mass protest occuring in Beruit over the explosion.  The protesters are demanding an international investigation into the cause of the explosion and for multiple people high up in the government to be arrested and tried for the explosion.  Seems some of the protesters are also going after Hezbollah claiming they bare some responsibility since they were in control of the port where the ammonia nitrate exploded but Hezbollah is denying any responsibility even going so far as saying they have no authority or control of the port.

So far around 240 protesters wounded and at least 1 death so far.  The protesters have also taken over a few government buildings in Beruit.

Edited by DarkHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

docyabut2

They got to find it out of where the fire started and if it was a accident or who started it..