Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Safety concerns halt use of 50m NHS masks

Still Waters

Fifty million face masks bought by the Government as part of a £252 million contract will not be used in the NHS due to safety concerns.

The masks, ordered from Ayanda Capital, have ear loops rather than head loops, and there are concerns over whether they are adequate.

The Government has confirmed in court papers that the masks, which are now in the Department of Health and Social Care’s (DHSC) logistic chain, will not be used in the NHS.

The Good Law Project and EveryDoctor, which are suing the Government over its Ayanda contract, estimate the 50 million masks would have cost more than £150 million.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/50m-face-masks-bought-government-090718633.html

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Barbarians at the graves... 

~

• Sad 1

Ah well, when it's the taxpayer picking up the bill who cares.

• Like 2

I love the way the govt gets the blame. But where was the NHS procurement department and managers. Managers who are paid more than the Prime minister. It seems once the crisis hit they were found wanting. Missing in action and govt departments and ministers had to step in, in such circumstances mistakes will be made.

But from top to bottom in the NHS who will be sacked or demoted for incompetence? No one.

• Like 3

A strange response to now attack government for attempting to keep up with PPE supplies when everybody and their dog wanted them earlier this year. Any mask has to be better than no mask and even the good ones are not 100% safe.    

Hopefully The Good Law Project and EveryDoctor, who are suing the Government, will lose their shirts.

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

A strange response to now attack government for attempting to keep up with PPE supplies when everybody and their dog wanted them earlier this year. Any mask has to be better than no mask and even the good ones are not 100% safe.    

Hopefully The Good Law Project and EveryDoctor, who which are suing the Government, will lose their shirts.

Not many know this and it should be mentioned remember to shave yourself before using any mask face stubble reduce the protection by 90% 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The Good Law Project and EveryDoctor estimate the 50 million masks would have cost more than £150 million."

I wonder how they arrived at this figure? 

I can buy a box of similar, sub standard, masks for less than £1 each. Why do this group think the government would pay three times more when bulk buying 50 million ? And can they not sell them on to the public and recover the money? 

https://www.boots.com/winner-type-2-medical-face-masks-50-pack-10283372 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I can buy a box of similar, sub standard, masks for less than £1 each.

Thats interesting because I use single use surgery masks (DIN EN14683CE) and I paid 0,24€ (£0,22) each.

2 minutes ago, toast said:

Thats interesting because I use single use surgery masks (DIN EN14683CE) and I paid 0,24€ (£0,22) each.

Yes, the UK government should have been able to source them for a lot less than the estimated price of £3+ suggested by the Good Law Project. 

The Good Law Project is founded by Jo Maugham QC and this tells us everything we need to know about the legal case.;)

A previous, failed, effort to derail proceedings. 

"A legal bid arguing Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal is unlawful, and attempting to prevent it being voted on by MPs, has been rejected in Scotland’s highest civil court. Campaigner Jolyon Maugham QC is behind the legal challenge which was heard at the Court of Session in Edinburgh, where the judge said the case was of "very doubtful competency".  :wacko:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/jolyon-maugham-case-rejected-1-6330937

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Yes, the UK government should have been able to source them for a lot less than the estimated price of £3+ suggested by the Good Law Project.

Have read in the media here that the BBC reported the deal was managed by a UK government adviser who was also simultaneously working for the contracted company. Hurray! :clap:

25 minutes ago, toast said:

Have read in the media here that the BBC reported the deal was managed by a UK government adviser who was also simultaneously working for the contracted company. Hurray! :clap:

If this was a conflict of interest issue then there are rules in place for that. :gun:  This case appears to have been started because of products being unfit for purpose. 

But if masks were bought needlessly, knowing they were unfit for purpose, just to give a mate a contract then I would not expect the government adviser to last long. :td: 

• Like 1

back in April (especially) masks were expensive.

an earlier poster quoted a type 2 mask, however in the NHS they would have needed at least type 2r which are more expensive than type 2 surgical masks.

In April I was buying a box of 50 for type2r at circa £60-70 per box....I can now buy at £10-12 per box

For the NHS the chances are they were buying FFP2/3 which were averaging around £6-8 each back in April/May.

so if the deal was for FFP3 @ £3 then this would have been a good deal....(well.... a good deal if they were suitable that is)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1