Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Knowing how the universe will end is freeing

Waspie_Dwarf

Katie Mack: 'Knowing how the universe will end is freeing'

Terms like "heat death", "big rip" and "vacuum decay" don't sound all that inviting. And they aren't.

They describe a few of the theories scientists have about how our universe will one day die.

But when cosmologist Katie Mack thinks about the end of everything, it gives her peace.

arrow3.gif  Read More: BBC News

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Humans now have God like powers. :geek: To think that we know what will happen in the far distant future, or past, can seem slightly unreal yet is largely unappreciated.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Humans now have God like powers. :geek: To think that we know what will happen in the far distant future, or past, can seem slightly unreal yet is largely unappreciated.  

We still don't know for sure. There are several competing hypotheses, but the fact that we can even contemplate such events is amazing. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I knew this thread reminded me of something.

Just about every thread started by Damien is about vacuum decay. He has an unhealthy obsession with it. Hopefully this thread can remain rational. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Just about every thread started by Damien is about vacuum decay. He has an unhealthy obsession with it. Hopefully this thread can remain rational. 

Maybe it can. Who know? I just through I'd bring it up considering it was the same lady. 

Just now, Damien99 said:

See told you I was right 

Have you actually read the article?

It disproves every bit of nonsense you spew.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Have you actually read the article?

It disproves every bit of nonsense you spew.

Explain where it does and yes I read it yesterday 

1 minute ago, Damien99 said:

Explain where it does and yes I read it yesterday 

Every word. But these sentences specifically prove that you are clueless:

Simple words like "heat death" are easy to understand - and that's good, because it's the most likely way our universe will come to an end.

so not vacuum decay like you continuously and falsely claim then.

It's probably not going to happen in the next, you know, trillions and trillions and trillions and trillions of years and so on.

So it's probably not imminent like you continuously and falsely claim then.

This article doesn't prove you are right, it proves you are dishonest. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Every word. But these sentences specifically prove that you are clueless:

so not vacuum decay like you continuously and falsely claim then.

So it's probably not imminent like you continuously and falsely claim then.

This article doesn't prove you are right, it proves you are dishonest. 

How am I dishonest, did you read the article, after the quote you posted it says but it can happen at any moment 

4 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

How am I dishonest, did you read the article, after the quote you posted it says but it can happen at any moment 

I know I'll regret asking, but why are you so obsessed with this? It doesn't matter, just live your life. Nothing anyone can do about it anyways. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I know I'll regret asking, but why are you so obsessed with this? It doesn't matter, just live your life. Nothing anyone can do about it anyways. 

Because LHC found the higgs and found that this will happen because of it, And from what they found it’s highly possible it will happen soon.  Look at all the articles about it the past few days 

Edited by Damien99

Just now, Damien99 said:

Because LHC found the higgs and found that this will happen because of it, And from what they found it’s highly possible it will happen soon. 

And? Can you stop it? No you can't. Neither can I. Best course of action is to not worry about it. I'm not going to worry about things I can't change or control. Maybe you should try that some time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

And? Can you stop it? No you can't. Neither can I. Best course of action is to not worry about it. I'm not going to worry about things I can't change or control. Maybe you should try that some time.

Here the thing everyone is telling me I am lying or creating false info, but you just agreed with me 

Here the thing everyone is telling me I am lying or creating false info, but you just agreed with me 

I'm not agreeing with you. Everything is going to end eventually and nothing we as a species can do to stop it. It'll probably poof out long after we're extinct. What I'm trying to get through to you and failing at apparently, is to quit worry about something that'll take eons to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

I'm not agreeing with you. Everything is going to end eventually and nothing we as a species can do to stop it. It'll probably poof out long after we're extinct. What I'm trying to get through to you and failing at apparently, is to quit worry about something that'll take eons to happen. 

The author seems to think it will happen soon 

Being the person that I am, I'll leave you to your negativity and nihilism. Odd coming from me......:hmm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Damien99 said:

Not during the existence of humanity. We monkeys will be long gone. 

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Not during the existence of humanity. We monkeys will be long gone. 

She seems to think opposite 

19 minutes ago, Damien99 said:

She seems to think opposite 

"It's probably not going to happen in the next, you know, trillions and trillions and trillions and trillions of years and so on. But, technically, it could happen at any time."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damien99 said:

Because LHC found the higgs and found that this will happen because of it, And from what they found it’s highly possible it will happen soon.  Look at all the articles about it the past few days 

so vacuum decay will happen cause the lhc detected the higgs particle. Sure. Why not?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

In 5,000 years time people will judge today's science as primitive, maybe even pre-historic compared to their futuristic elite standards and the same will go for them in 10,000 years time when people look back at them.  Time has shown that humans rarely get anything right.  The universe is simply beyond our understanding.  Maybe that is how it is supposed to be.

Edited by TigerBright19
  • Like 1

Any millennium now... 

tumblr_ndvf0lkME71s4fz4bo1_500.gif

~

• Like 2