Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

United States issues travel warning for NZ

Kismit

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/travel/2020/08/united-states-government-issues-travel-warning-for-new-zealand-due-to-23-active-cases.html

The US government has issued a travel warning for New Zealand over the country's '23 active cases' of COVID-19, despite the fact there are more than 2 million active cases in the US itself, where community transmission is rife. 

As the US death toll from the pandemic surpasses 160,000, President Donald Trump is looking to reopen the country and some border restrictions have been eased.

But in a post on his government's travel advice website made on Friday (NZ time), authorities called for increased caution when travelling to Aotearoa.

NB: All cases in New Zealand are currently people in isolation who where entering the country from overseas. Effectively catching it at the border. And it has been several months since we experienced community transmission. 

We indeed live our lives as though the pandemic does not exist, a freedom we should not take for granted but it is easy to forget about the strain on other countries. 

It seems just a tad bizzarre to issue a travel warning for New Zealand. 

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

I wonder if the warnings are based on increase percentages and trends more then the actual number. 

If so then it was make sense. A low number but "big" increase percentage whise.

I say that before people jump in here acting like it's some conspiracy propaganda attempt. I doubt low level travel advisory employees five a crap about propaganda. 

Edit: moved up from level 1 to 2 "increased caution" out of 4 levels. 4 being do not travel.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/new-zealand-travel-advisory.html

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

Aren't they directly under the control of Congress?

State department makes these decisions.  They are a branch within the Executive so ultimately Trump could control it but I'd imagine he leaves such decisions to regular protocol.  It seems to agree with what NZ wants anyway so I'm not sure why it's an issue.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I wonder if the warnings are based on increase percentages and trends more then the actual number. 

If so then it was make sense. A low number but "big" increase percentage whise.

I say that before people jump in here acting like it's some conspiracy propaganda attempt. I doubt low level travel advisory employees five a crap about propaganda. 

Edit: moved up from level 1 to 2 "increased caution" out of 4 levels. 4 being do not travel.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/new-zealand-travel-advisory.html

That's the problem trying to analyse things with a scalar metric such as a ratio - it hides the magnitude and other insights

• Like 2

Welcome to Bizarro World. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, acute said:

I wonder what's behind it.

A lot of behinds behind it. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Jemaine and Bret are gonna get hurt feelings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Trump administration to buy New Zealand... 

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

~

Not gonna happen. Too many liberal people, brown people and brown liberals. :o

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, third_eye said:

So......

Greenland, New Zealand, and Scotland!

:o

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, acute said:

This seems disproportionate.

I wonder what's behind it.

My thoughts are to do with the large numbers of Americans who have been applying for visas. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, and then said:

State department makes these decisions.  They are a branch within the Executive so ultimately Trump could control it but I'd imagine he leaves such decisions to regular protocol.  It seems to agree with what NZ wants anyway so I'm not sure why it's an issue.  

It does agree with the general consensus here. Our borders aren't open until we get a vaccine.  That is what makes it even stranger really. 

• Like 3

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/campus/university-of-otago/otago-study-reveals-origins-nz-covid-cases

Scientists have completed months of detective work to reveal where New Zealand's cases of Covid-19 came from at the height of our crisis – with some surprising results.

They found most of the analysed cases that led to others being infected originated from North America, rather than Asia - and that cases that turned up here represented all of Sars-CoV-2's global genomic diversity.

They've also shown there was no sign of Covid-19 circulating in the country before the first case was officially reported.

Decoding or "sequencing" the genetic jigsaw that is the virus' genome has been a crucial part of the public health response to Covid-19 here and overseas.

• Thanks 1

When this corona ends? no one knows.

On 8/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, Kismit said:

It seems just a tad bizzarre to issue a travel warning for New Zealand.

Count your blessings.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Count your blessings.

I normally agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly  but attempting to isolate long enough to find a vaccine might well spell the end of their economy.   

4 hours ago, and then said:

I normally agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly  but attempting to isolate long enough to find a vaccine might well spell the end of their economy.   

We are not struggling.  Employment in our region is up. House sales and prices are through the roof. With our home gaining $30,000 in value since March and our out of town unit up $50,000.

People are buying new cars and we have seen a 75% increase in domestic tourism spending that doesn't appear to be slowing down. It's been really good for business. 

It would certainly help if other countries could get it under control but we are doing much better than expected at this stage 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kismit said:

We are not struggling.  Employment in our region is up. House sales and prices are through the roof. With our home gaining $30,000 in value since March and our out of town unit up $50,000.

Eh, I guess that's good news depending on who you are.

Where I am at housing prices are also through the roof because of covid causing a shortage in inventory. Idk if that's necessarily good for the economy. 

Great for relators and people selling homes I guess.

Sucks for all the first time home owners trying to start out dealing with inflated prices due to Covid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Eh, I guess that's good news depending on who you are.

Where I am at housing prices are also through the roof because of covid causing a shortage in inventory. Idk if that's necessarily good for the economy. 

Great for relators and people selling homes I guess.

Sucks for all the first time home owners trying to start out dealing with inflated prices due to Covid.

Its first home buyers that are rraping the rewards here in a lot of cases, because of the ridiculously low interest rates.  Landlords are selling off stock and cashing in. People are investing in business to secure themselves a job. The money is moving, retail spend is up. People stay employed. 

It's not all magic and fairy dust, we still have a higher unemployment rate than we did, the housing bubble in Auckland has to burst at some stage. The amount of Aucklanders selling up to move to the other cheaper parts of the country and work from home is phenomenal (freeing up more cash for the economy), and we have to wait and see how the economy will run after the wage subsidy runs out, but our small business has not needed to use it and surely we are not the only ones.

11 hours ago, Kismit said:

People are buying new cars and we have seen a 75% increase in domestic tourism spending that doesn't appear to be slowing down. It's been really good for business. 

It would certainly help if other countries could get it under control but we are doing much better than expected at this stage 

I bet one reason is just the attitude of your country. People were told to wear mask and did? The U.S is such a mess because of varying, and mostly ignorant attitudes. We have no hope of ridding ourselves of this until a vaccine arrives.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

I bet one reason is just the attitude of your country. People were told to wear mask and did? The U.S is such a mess because of varying, and mostly ignorant attitudes. We have no hope of ridding ourselves of this until a vaccine arrives.

Well they literally are a country of sheep.

:devil:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Well they literally are a country of sheep.

:devil:

It's more Dairy these days. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Every block has a corner to shoot down to, bro.

It's like being the little brother.