Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4 Executive orders to Lower Cost of Drugs

OverSword

"The four orders I'm signing today will completely restructure the prescription drug market," said Mr Trump, who has long criticised "astronomical" prices.

The measures would allow discounts and import of cheaper drugs from abroad.

Mr Trump will meet pharmaceutical bosses on Tuesday, but some industry analysts have criticised the move, saying it would not have much effect.

BBC

The executive orders instruct HHS to take a number of actions:

• End a shadowy system of kickbacks by middlemen that lurks behind the high out-of-pocket costs many Americans face at the pharmacy counter. Under this action, American seniors will directly receive these kickback as discounts in Medicare Part D. In 2018, these Part D discounts totaled more than $30 billion, representing an average discount of 26 to 30 percent.
  • Require federally qualified health centers who purchase insulins and epinephrine in the 340B program to pass the savings from discounted drug prices directly on to medically underserved patients. This will increase access to life-saving insulin and epinephrine for the patients who face especially high costs among the 28 million patients who visit FQHCs every year, over six million of whom are uninsured.
  • Finalize a rule allowing states to develop safe importation plans for certain prescription drugs.
  • Authorize the re-importation of insulin products made in the United States if the Secretary finds re-importation is required for emergency medical care pursuant to section 801(d) of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
  • Create a pathway for safe personal importation through the use of individual waivers to purchase drugs at lower cost from pre-authorized U.S. pharmacies.
  • Take action to ensure that the Medicare program and seniors pay no more for the most costly Medicare Part B drugs than any economically comparable OECD country, ending foreign countries’ free loading off the backs of American taxpayers and pharmaceutical investments. This order takes effect in 30 days unless Congress acts.

HHS.GOV

Unable to land the big deal with Congress to curb drug costs, President Donald Trump on Friday moved on his own to allow imports of cheaper medicines, along with other limited steps that could have some election-year appeal.

At a White House ceremony, Trump signed four executive orders. One was about importation. The others would direct drugmaker rebates straight to patients, provide insulin and EpiPens at steep discounts to low-income people, and use lower international prices to pay for some Medicare drugs.

Trump cast his directives as far-reaching, but they mostly update earlier administration ideas that have not yet gone into effect.

“I’m unrigging the system that is many decades old,” he declared, promising “massive” savings.

NBC

So, what do you think?  Smoke and mirrors or the first real action taken in decades?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

It is a nice thought but I think it is all a big show.  If Insulin and EPI pen prices go down because of this then I will say I was wrong.  The below quote makes no sense.  What does "land the big deal" mean?  I personally have written letters to my congress people asking them to address the pillaging that the pharma companies are allowed in our country that does not happen in Canada and elsewhere.  Have not heard a word about it, just a thank you for writing. 

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Unable to land the big deal with Congress to curb drug costs,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

BBC

So, what do you think?  Smoke and mirrors or the first real action taken in decades?

i think libs will spin it in a negative way.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Might be good, I guess we will see.  It would be nice if the covid vaccine taxpayer money to the tune of 2.1 billion  is paying to research and develop didn't cost  too much.

First 100 million doses are free so the agreement goes.   I hope the followup 200 million don't cost $100 a pop.

Like all drug dealers  say, "First ones free."

1 minute ago, Tatetopa said:

Might be good, I guess we will see.  It would be nice if the covid vaccine taxpayer money to the tune of 2.1 billion  is paying to research and develop didn't cost  too much.

First 100 million doses are free so the agreement goes.   I hope the followup 200 million don't cost $100 a pop.

Like all drug dealers  say, "First ones free."

I expect it will be much like the flu shots that are offered now.  Insurance pays for it some requiring a low copay and some not.  Some employers pay for it.  The one I work for has a nurse come in the fall and anyone who wants a flu shot gets it, no paperwork, no insurance etc. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, aztek said:

i think libs will spin it in a negative way.  

I think the never-Trumpers will call it “the first step in seizing control of all production in America and controlling the lives of the most vulnerable”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I think the never-Trumpers will call it “the first step in seizing control of all production in America and controlling the lives of the most vulnerable”

I think you all are making Cr**p up just to feel good about yourselves.  Everyone in the U.S. wants to pay less for drugs and most people are rooting for this to actually make a difference, whether they like/hate Trump or not.  You, especially, are so polarized and hate filled towards the U.S. nothing you say makes sense.  Like a few in the U.K. your binoculars lenses need cleaning and maybe stronger lenses. 

I suppose you could spout Cr**p about supposed "liberal/leftist" in  your own country, but no, you want to judge something you know nothing about.  You have healthcare and government controlled prescription pricing.  You wouldn't survive a week in the U.S.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You know that is exactly what the Trumpers would claim liberals are trying to do now with this whole idea of medical insurance for all citizens. 

This is brilliant.  Trump is finally becoming a globalist liberal elite. 

• Haha 4

It's almost like no one has told him he doesn't rule by decree. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

It's almost like no one has told him he doesn't rule by decree. 

He doesn't listen even if he was told that.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think you all are making Cr**p up just to feel good about yourselves.  Everyone in the U.S. wants to pay less for drugs and most people are rooting for this to actually make a difference, whether they like/hate Trump or not.  You, especially, are so polarized and hate filled towards the U.S. nothing you say makes sense.  Like a few in the U.K. your binoculars lenses need cleaning and maybe stronger lenses. 

I suppose you could spout Cr**p about supposed "liberal/leftist" in  your own country, but no, you want to judge something you know nothing about.  You have healthcare and government controlled prescription pricing.  You wouldn't survive a week in the U.S.

Sonny, I’m a Greens voter. 
do I need to do the “math” for you to work out my opinion of left policies in Australia or America?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

You know that is exactly what the Trumpers would claim liberals are trying to do now with this whole idea of medical insurance for all citizens. 

This is brilliant.  Trump is finally becoming a globalist liberal elite. 

You know what they say, you become what you hate.

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You know what they say, you become what you hate.

Apropos that... just for DesertRose ;)

295AC61D-4AEA-4DF5-B234-02E755BE4CC3.jpeg.617fdbaf861d7d6b19427d6296bb2436.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Sonny, I’m a Greens voter. 
do I need to do the “math” for you to work out my opinion of left policies in Australia or America?

No, don't strain yourself doing any math, it isn't a math problem anyway.  I don't care what your opinions about American politics are because you aren't here. 

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

No, don't strain yourself doing any math, it isn't a math problem anyway.  I don't care what your opinions about American politics are because you aren't here. 

If America sneezes, Australia catches a cold. Your politics affects my country. 

11 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

What specifically has happened in the U.S. that causes you grief and how is it that your politicians, who must have allowed it, do not get the blame from you?  If you vote in people who make deals with China based on what the U.S. does or doesn't do (or what ever you imagine the problem is) then change it.  Are you your own country or a U.S. Territory?    It is your attitude, not your country, I have a problem with.

Someone from Australia explained some things to me that put some of it in perspective, however she was not hateful about it like you are, nor was she polarized left or right. 

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

Great and about time too plus this announcement could not come at a better time for Trumpie :yes:

Edited by thedutchiedutch

54 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Then you should buy a gun :lol:

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Then you should buy a gun :lol:

Have you SEEN thr size of the animals here? Guns just p*** them off.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

What specifically has happened in the U.S. that causes you grief and how is it that your politicians, who must have allowed it, do not get the blame from you?  If you vote in people who make deals with China based on what the U.S. does or doesn't do (or what ever you imagine the problem is) then change it.  Are you your own country or a U.S. Territory?    It is your attitude, not your country, I have a problem with.

Someone from Australia explained some things to me that put some of it in perspective, however she was not hateful about it like you are, nor was she polarized left or right. 

It’s quite simple - we are a pawn in American politicking with China. Previously we were a pawn in American politicking with The USSR. Our politicians of all stripe and variety poodle along doing what is best for you. Go to war on spurious lies? For sure. Lie to the UN? Hell yeah! Let you put secret international surveillance facilities across our country? Go right ahead!! Risk War by poking China in the South China Sea? YES SIR! 

Your ambassador tells our Prime Minister to do something and he obeys. That is NOT how politics works. So yeah, I’m p***ed at Scotty from Marketing for obeying. I’m also p***ed at The Donald for doing the ordering. I’m an equal opportunity anti-politicianist. Yours. Mine. Theirs. They’re all self-serving ****s who deserve nothing but ire, sarcasm and feet held to the fire.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OverSword said:

I think Trump is doing his best to get the price of drugs lowered for Americans... 

But there are many people making a LOT of money on Pharmaceuticals who are going to resist it all with everything they've got...

for example the big pharma companies ( + the 'middlemen'...)

The top 10 pharmaceutical companies, ranked by revenue:
  • Pfizer — $51.75 billion.
  • Roche — $50 billion.
  • Novartis — $47.45 billion.
  • Merck — $46.84 billion.
  • GlaxoSmithKline — $43.54 billion.
  • Johnson & Johnson — $42.1 billion.
  • AbbVie — $33.27 billion.
  • Sanofi — $27.77 billion.

link

when talking about these issues in a speech at a manufacturing company - he made a remark that has caught people's attention... "This may be the last time you’ll see me for a while. "

maybe the underlying message is that life is becoming more dangerous for him as he tackles the powerful pharmaceutical companies.... and the '''middlemen'''.,,,

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-whirlpool-corporation-manufacturing-plant/

extract from the speech..

You have people called “middlemen.”  I don’t know who the middlemen are.  I don’t know.  They never say “middlewomen,” so they’re politically not correct.  (Laughter.)  But I’ve heard the term “middlemen” for a long time.  They are so wealthy.  They are so wealthy.  Nobody has any idea who the hell they are or what they do.  They make more money than the drug companies.  You know, in all fairness, at least the drug companies have to produce a product, and it has to be good product.  But the middlemen — well, the rebate that I’m doing cuts out the middlemen, and it reduces costs, and the money goes back to the people purchasing the drugs.

So I have a lot of enemies out there.  This may be the last time you’ll see me for a while.  A lot of very, very rich enemies, but they are not happy with what I’m doing.  But I figure we have one chance to do it, and no other President is going to do what I do.  No other President would do a favored nations, a rebate, a buy from other nations at much less cost.  Nobody.  And there are a lot of unhappy people, and they’re very rich people, and they’re very unhappy.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OverSword said:

Any step is better than none right?

Soon, I'm hoping the US will have as cheap medicines as we do here.  I think it's extremely unfair for anyone to be paying high prices on medicine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Soon, I'm hoping the US will have as cheap medicines as we do here.  I think it's extremely unfair for anyone to be paying high prices on medicine.

I remember talking to... I think it was @DieChecker..... a while back and I was shocked at how expensive the Ibuprofen tablets were for him when he was billed for his medical treatment... just from memory.. I think it was around $30 a pill... but we can buy it over the counter for what amounts to a few pence... (depending on where you buy it and who makes it)...

Ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory used by millions of people - often on a daily basis... I have 400mg every morning myself.. I could have it on prescription but I just buy it over the counter..

3 hours ago, bee said:

I think Trump is doing his best to get the price of drugs lowered for Americans... 

But there are many people making a LOT of money on Pharmaceuticals who are going to resist it all with everything they've got...

for example the big pharma companies ( + the 'middlemen'...)

The top 10 pharmaceutical companies, ranked by revenue:
  • Pfizer — $51.75 billion.
  • Roche — $50 billion.
  • Novartis — $47.45 billion.
  • Merck — $46.84 billion.
  • GlaxoSmithKline — $43.54 billion.
  • Johnson & Johnson — $42.1 billion.
  • AbbVie — $33.27 billion.
  • Sanofi — $27.77 billion.

link

when talking about these issues in a speech at a manufacturing company - he made a remark that has caught people's attention... "This may be the last time you’ll see me for a while. "

maybe the underlying message is that life is becoming more dangerous for him as he tackles the powerful pharmaceutical companies.... and the '''middlemen'''.,,,

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-whirlpool-corporation-manufacturing-plant/

extract from the speech..

A more telling number on the big pharma/biotech companies and their penchant for price gouging is their profit margin. As discussed elsewhere here, a lot of these companies take advantage of tax write-offs and loopholes for R&D and use those as excuses to excessively mark up prices. Make no mistake, private companies who produce something unique should set the prices where the market bears. But, when the manufacturer, insurance (both private and public) and physicians conspire to become wealthy off the backs of ill poor and middle class patients, I'd be willing to discuss measures of limiting tax benefits based on profit margin. This goes against conservative capitalism a bit, it's one of those areas where the right is willing to concede a little if the left gives something back elsewhere that is equally egregious. Problem in this particular case, all politicians benefit from this particular topic, so none from either side are willing to solve the problem or offer concessions.

This is one of those examples where if the left would hammer their own like they do ours, we the people might unite to oppose all government that's bilking us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

What if the result of we getting more affordable meds is the price of yours inflating?

• Like 2