Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
trustedhealer

Astrology and Life

88 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

lightly
6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

No one knows the future. We create it. If I tell you that by years end you'll be in a car accident there is a 50/50 chance I'll be right. If i say you'll find some money while out walking during this month there is a 50/50 chance that will happen. Now that I have told you these things, some part of your brain might be seeking things out that will confirm them. 

There is something to that !    HEARING something...and then sort of accepting it ,or agreeing with it in my thinking , seems to have a way of bringing it to pass !    SAYING something seems even more powerful !     I don't understand it...but ...that's why I have learned to be careful what I agree with in my thinking.  And especially careful of what I SAY.  

 Some would say that's just foolish superstition.  .   I dun think so.

    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
1 hour ago, lightly said:

There is something to that !    HEARING something...and then sort of accepting it ,or agreeing with it in my thinking , seems to have a way of bringing it to pass !    SAYING something seems even more powerful !     I don't understand it...but ...that's why I have learned to be careful what I agree with in my thinking.  And especially careful of what I SAY.  

 Some would say that's just foolish superstition.  .   I dun think so.

    

It's called a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lightly
14 hours ago, XenoFish said:

It's called a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

Makes sence.....  But it makes me wonder if words really do have power.    Biblically,. God spoke everything into existence...and  the idea of words having power is much older and multi sourced..... didn't the ancient Egyptians believe speaking the king's name caused him to live....forever?     I know...completely UNscientific :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
2 minutes ago, lightly said:

Makes sence.....  But it makes me wonder if words really do have power.    Biblically,. God spoke everything into existence...and  the idea of words having power is much older and multi sourced..... didn't the ancient Egyptians believe speaking the king's name caused him to live....forever?     I know...completely UNscientific :P

Words do have power. In their meaning, the associations we make with them, what emotions we connect to them. To cast a spell on someone is basically to speak to them. Magick like art and literature is about changing people's consciousness. Implanting ideas in their mind. We do this more often with words. A good 'spell-caster' has a command of language. Not do different from the bellow comparison. 

I love you.^_^

I love you.<_<

I love you.:wub:

I love you.:angry:

Tack on an emoji and the same phrase has a different emotional meaning. 

https://www.edge.org/conversation/lera_boroditsky-how-does-our-language-shape-the-way-we-think

Consider how language, especially self talk shapes what we might come to believe as true. Negative self talk can lead to depression, which affect perception, in turn effects what we do. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, lightly said:

There is something to that !    HEARING something...and then sort of accepting it ,or agreeing with it in my thinking , seems to have a way of bringing it to pass !    SAYING something seems even more powerful !     I don't understand it...but ...that's why I have learned to be careful what I agree with in my thinking.  And especially careful of what I SAY.  

 Some would say that's just foolish superstition.  .   I dun think so.

    

I don't think it is foolish superstition, though some types of saying something only reinforces it in your mind, whether others agree, or even if it is not true.  An example, I am a tech support/programmer.  One job I had I kept getting calls from a woman that always started with "This ALWAYS happens."  She would be angry and I would have to go to her desk so she could show me what she was talking about.   I would ask "when did it  happen the first time."  She would say "It happened just now."  My next question would be "when did it happen before now."  She would then admit it never had happened, then I would show her what she typed incorrectly and walk away.  But still she told everyone her computer always messed things up.  She said it so it was true for her, but no one else had the problems she had.

The other shoe is someone who declares constantly that their life is perfect.  Really, good, but not really because they have bills piling up that they won't even open, they have to  move every 6  months for some reason etc.

So, yes words are powerful, but only in your mind.  If you say affirmations with the intent to change something you will be saying them until you are blue in the face and nothing will change.  If you say them Knowing they are true, you only have to say them once and your actions will prove their truth.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lightly

This just popped in my head...  " Faith comes by Hearing...and Hearing by the Word." 

  I'm not preaching...just interested me in how it relates to words having power....or not.  :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
7 minutes ago, lightly said:

This just popped in my head...  " Faith comes by Hearing...and Hearing by the Word." 

  I'm not preaching...just interested me in how it relates to words having power....or not.  :P

But those are your interpretations of those words.  "Faith comes by Hearing" makes no sense to me.  Maybe "Faith comes by Thinking." would be my words. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lightly
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

But those are your interpretations of those words.  "Faith comes by Hearing" makes no sense to me.  Maybe "Faith comes by Thinking." would be my words. 

Hmm, ya I guess your right....I take "Hearing" to mean Understanding ...and that  understanding "comes by" the power of "the Word".     

        (I guess ideas from my ole time religion from my youth still pop into my old head sometimes) :P

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emma_Acid
On 8/8/2020 at 3:09 PM, Piney said:

1968, Monkey........One of my kids is a Bunny though.  ^_^

I'm a monkey as well, but a next generation one :P

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emma_Acid
On 8/8/2020 at 6:47 PM, toast said:

Mods, it seems like papageorge1`s account got hijacked.

You must miss all the posts where he describes himself as a rational skeptic then

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
toast
Just now, Emma_Acid said:

You must miss all the posts where he describes himself as a rational skeptic then

Oh, really? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emma_Acid
1 minute ago, toast said:

Oh, really? :lol:

Yes. Really.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kartikg

I have been cheated by astrologers before, not a huge amount though, but I want to clarify that they were fraudsters and not really astrologers, I have also paid some amount online for certain questions and there answers did not turn out to be true. Also on this web site I have asked for readings, some turned out to be pretty good and I have thanked them too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kartikg
On 8/8/2020 at 6:06 PM, trustedhealer said:

I never believed in Horoscope and living life on these beliefs , visited a lot of astrologers, did some automatic reports on a lot of websites and everything almost turned out to be unreal , but after a period of time one of my friend introduced me to Horoscope and an Astrologer in Delhi which made me believe in it. What do you guys think about Astrology and what is your zodiac sign ?

Isn't this just probality, if you visit lots of astrologers eventually one will get it right just out of sheer chance??? If you kept on getting wrong answers why did you keep going back to astrologers? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa

Ox from a couple of cycles further back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emma_Acid
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, kartikg said:

I have been cheated by astrologers before, not a huge amount though, but I want to clarify that they were fraudsters and not really astrologers, I have also paid some amount online for certain questions and there answers did not turn out to be true. Also on this web site I have asked for readings, some turned out to be pretty good and I have thanked them too.

That's the second time on this thread someone has alluded to "real astrologers", and the second time I find myself uncharacteristically lost for words.

What specifically marks out a "real" one from a fraud? On a technical level I mean?

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChrLzs
On 8/8/2020 at 11:39 PM, XenoFish said:

Why do you want to know our zodiac signs anyway? 

For the dossier in Russia.  It all adds up.....

My sign is Ophiuchus.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kartikg
32 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

That's the second time on this thread someone has alluded to "real astrologers", and the second time I find myself uncharacteristically lost for words.

What specifically marks out a "real" one from a fraud? On a technical level I mean?

At a technical level it means that he is just fraud, has never read any books on astrology or practiced any rituals etc. Just like a fake doctor who has never attended any college but practices. I know that medicine and astrology can't be compared, but I am just giving an example of a fraud astrologer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
4 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

That's the second time on this thread someone has alluded to "real astrologers", and the second time I find myself uncharacteristically lost for words.

What specifically marks out a "real" one from a fraud? On a technical level I mean?

The amount of math that they use as well as their knowledge of astronomy and astrology.  It is not an easy thing to do if you really do the work.  It takes many hours to make the correct calculations.  And then a few hours to write the report in to an understandable form for the client.  If you get a quick answer it is not a real astrologer.

As for whether it is a real science, that is another question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChrLzs
13 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

As for whether it is a real science, that is another question.

And the answer is .... no.  Becoming an expert on leprechauns and faeries, doesn't make them any more real.  Don't get me wrong, astrology is mostly harmless fun and in many ways it gave birth to modern astronomy.  But if people start to pretend it is real, and charge money, and give advice based on it.. then I'm afraid that crosses the line into fraud.  And it can be hurtful or downright dangerous fraud... 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw

Astrology is like Karma, mystical concepts the secular have passing familiarity with, without necessarily embracing their underlying belief systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Astrology is like Karma, mystical concepts the secular have passing familiarity with, without necessarily embracing their underlying belief systems.

Hi Hammer

More of an instant karma kind of guy some days.:whistle:

 

Robot Computer GIF

:D

jmccr8

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ellapenella
On 8/9/2020 at 8:27 AM, lightly said:

Makes sence.....  But it makes me wonder if words really do have power.    Biblically,. God spoke everything into existence...and  the idea of words having power is much older and multi sourced..... didn't the ancient Egyptians believe speaking the king's name caused him to live....forever?     I know...completely UNscientific :P

“Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emma_Acid
23 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

The amount of math that they use as well as their knowledge of astronomy and astrology.  It is not an easy thing to do if you really do the work.  It takes many hours to make the correct calculations.  And then a few hours to write the report in to an understandable form for the client.  If you get a quick answer it is not a real astrologer.

i still don't understand. If the application of the "knowledge of astronomy" and "correct calculations" meant anything then astrology would be a real science.

You can't claim they are valid and then leave the whole question of whether or not it is a real science open.

If it isn't a real science, then what are the calculations for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emma_Acid
On 8/10/2020 at 11:25 AM, kartikg said:

At a technical level it means that he is just fraud, has never read any books on astrology or practiced any rituals etc. Just like a fake doctor who has never attended any college but practices. I know that medicine and astrology can't be compared, but I am just giving an example of a fraud astrologer. 

Again, this makes no sense. You say "they can't be compared", but then your entire point is based on comparing them.

Like my post above - if it is real, then what are they doing that is different to it being fraudulent? It is all made up, then what does it matter if the astrologer's preparation is a ritual or making some eggs? If the whole thing is nonsense, then so are the books and rituals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.