Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should lithium be added to drinking water ?

UM-Bot

7 minutes ago, UM-Bot said:

A new study suggests that adding the psychoactive chemical to water supplies could reduce suicide rates.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/338735/should-lithium-be-added-to-our-drinking-water

Sorry but that is a really bad idea, I think they should spend more money on Suicide Prevention. When someone is admitted to a Hospital, if they are found to be unstable they put them on a 24hr hold. If the person tells them they are ok they release them, but that doesnt solve the problem. They need to do more, they need to have facilities to help people get the medication they may need, they need to supply counseling, but putting Lithium in the water is just crazy, I mean real crazy!! 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Sorry but that is a really bad idea, I think they should spend more money on Suicide Prevention. When someone is admitted to a Hospital, if they are found to be unstable they put them on a 24hr hold. If the person tells them they are ok they release them, but that doesnt solve the problem. They need to do more, they need to have facilities to help people get the medication they may need, they need to supply counseling, but putting Lithium in the water is just crazy, I mean real crazy!! 

I agree.  What would the extra lithium do to people who don't have mental health issues?

• Like 7

I thought they needed all they could get for car batteries didn't they? (I mean batteries for Electric cars).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

I agree.  What would the extra lithium do to people who don't have mental health issues?

What if some one had an allergy to it, it could kill them, that's another reason they would never add something like that to the drinking water.

• Like 2

Just drink your water citizen....

Lithium, an naturally occurring mineral like sodium, was found to have effects on mood problems in the 1940’s (more history). It has been the main medication for Bipolar Disorder (formerly “manic-depressive disorder”) for many years. Lithium is still the best researched medication for this condition; no other medication has been shown to be superior in controlling depression, suicidal thoughts, or long-term mood stability. It also has been shown to decrease anger and sudden impulse decisions in people who do not have bipolar disorder.

https://psycheducation.org/treatment/mood-stabilizers/the-big-three-for-bipolar-depression/lithium/

• Like 2

You know what let's add mercury also. It's fine I know it bubbles up in the water but consider it silver Ice Cubes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Montmorency the Dog said:

I thought they needed all they could get for car batteries didn't they? (I mean batteries for Electric cars).

Not sure what your point is here? Once it's made it's rechargeable. Then you have rare earth material? Where does that comment go?

26 minutes ago, Humbled Hypocrite83 said:

Not sure what your point is here? Once it's made it's rechargeable. Then you have rare earth material? Where does that comment go?

That there'll hardly be enough of the stuff to go round is the point, surely. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Montmorency the Dog said:

That there'll hardly be enough of the stuff to go round is the point, surely. 

That's where I'm confused there should be rare earth recycling right!? Does that make to much sense?

1 minute ago, Humbled Hypocrite83 said:

That's where I'm confused there should be rare earth recycling right!? Does that make to much sense?

Not really much sense there although his statement did...

• Haha 1

No worries... There's still time 

ef6dd6e257d9302b44aef140539c2b2c.jpg

~

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, kartikg said:

Can something be added to reduce violence?

The Nazi's add Fluoride to the water to keep everyone subdued.  But I have seen the results of a population drinking water with too much fluoride in the water due to mine and it makes people more violent.

And in the U.S. a lot of cities add fluouride to the water in the name of "dental health".  Think about that.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Oh my, can you imagine how much more pliable we servants would be for our masters?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Oh my, can you imagine how much more pliable we servants would be for our masters?

Or useless.  my brother was on lithium for a time and it only helped him for about 3 weeks, then everything got worse, so no, it would not make a whole population more pliable, which I see your point, is probably the point of the question.  It would depend on each individual's brain chemistry how they react.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Humbled Hypocrite83 said:

Oh, not used to being called out!? Just keep looking at the ceiling in mom and Dad's Basement it will be ok

I'm super confused by this statement...not to sure how you came up with it.

• Haha 1

Several years ago, I invested in a water distiller. 

We have a massive, truly massive Exxon refinery not a mile from our doorstep (as in you could fit 17 football stadiums on its footprint with hundreds of miles of pipes and dozens of holding tanks for oil each bigger than the local high schools. 

At one point I tested the ph balance of our drinking water.  (Our local city installed decades ago, a reverse osmosis water filtration system for the city's drinking water, which pulls from what remains of our local marshland).  The water tested better than several popular bottled waters I compared it to, but alas, this does not account for heavy metals and chemical compounds leached into the ground water...

I was tired of purchasing endless filters for our drinking water and then had a novel notion, recalled from my high school chemistry class... why keep spending money trying to filter out the toxins from my water, when I could distill it and move the water away from the toxins?

The Distiller I purchased will make a gallon of completely purified water in about 4 hours.  So I make 3 gallons a day, always have two five gallon drums full of utterly pure, remarkably tasty water for all our cooking, drinking needs.

My distiller is now several years old and I am so thankful for it.  It's paid for itself a dozen times over in the years it's been in service.

Perhaps I'll post a picture of the remains and residue that are left in the bottom of the unit when it's finished a batch. 

It's horrifying sometimes... othertimes, it's not so scary.

I literally can't recommend it enough.

No more filters, just clean, pure water.

Food for thought.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Maybe instead of putting more things in, we should focus on keeping more  things out, lead for example.

My girlfriend is an environmental engineer who works on water specifically.

It's amazing how much local governments will procrastinate on updating and renovating old water systems. I've learned this from her.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

The Nazi's add Fluoride to the water to keep everyone subdued.  But I have seen the results of a population drinking water with too much fluoride in the water due to mine and it makes people more violent.

And in the U.S. a lot of cities add fluouride to the water in the name of "dental health".  Think about that.

Oh... Didn't know that. 

• Sad 1