Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

John Cleese on life after death

UM-Bot

I consider a belief in life after death as just following the evidence.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I've died multiple times... several times in one week, three years ago in January while wrestling septic blood poisoning.

Inhale/Exhale

Birth/Death

Expand/Contract

Growth/Decay

These are not examples of separate/dualistic things, but examples of two manifesting aspects of singular, united processes.

Death is decay.  Decay nurtures life.

All life feeds on other life.  The decay of life nurtures life.

The decay in your gut, digesting your latest meal, is the source of your vitality and life.

We are decaying and growing always, simultaneously.

Decay is Life being nurtured.

Life is acquisitional, imbibing, seeking and consuming.

Decay is nurturing, giving and releasing.

Life feeds on the decay of other Life.

C'est la vie...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Life feeds on the decay of other Life.

All true but the concept here transcends the physical.  This collection of anecdotes support the belief that consciousness is independent of brain activity.  Fascinating.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I consider a belief in life after death as just following the evidence.

True.

If you find your own evidence ( as I did), then it's even better!

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Id be interested in watching such a show as Cleese proposes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An hour and forty minutes? 

Anyone willing to summarise? I'm not sure o want to waste that much time listening to someone's opinions of anecdotes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, and then said:

All true but the concept here transcends the physical.  This collection of anecdotes support the belief that consciousness is independent of brain activity.  Fascinating.

I don't see how you see a very old failed idea as fascinating to be honest. It's just a dumb idea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I don't see how you see a very old failed idea as fascinating to be honest. It's just a dumb idea. 

That'd be an opinion and we all are allowed to have them.  It never fails... someone posts an "unexplained mystery" about the POSSIBILITY of an afterlife and those like you come against them like you take their opinion personally.  And THAT without even bothering to become informed on the specific piece you are responding to.  What is it that you feel the need to prove?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

That'd be an opinion and we all are allowed to have them.  It never fails... someone posts an "unexplained mystery" about the POSSIBILITY of an afterlife and those like you come against them like you take their opinion personally.  And THAT without even bothering to become informed on the specific piece you are responding to.  What is it that you feel the need to prove?

I guess I'm proving that I'm not a clueless moron who is fascinated by very old failed ideas? Mind brain dualism was first proposed back with Plato, made more famous by Descartes about 400 years ago. 

It's about as fascinating as phlogiston. It has a history in failure. No, I don't see the need to waste an hour and forty minutes on yet another anecdote driven opinion. I can see why Cleese was a comedian and not a scientist. 

Afterlife isn't a possibility according to physics. So it's not that much of a mystery. The only real mystery left associated with the afterlife is why people still believe in human specific ideas that are refuted by the sciences for a bunch of anecdotes. That doesn't sound sensible at all to me. If there really is something to these anecdotes, it's not an afterlife. 

People don't mind listening to opinions they find comforting. I bet plenty gave this the full hour and forty minutes, but I doubt any of them would bother to listen to forty minutes of Sean Carroll explaining why physics refutes the afterlife. People don't care about what's real, just what they like. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Our body belongs to the Earth but our Soul belongs to heaven.   Our sojourn here is temporary.  This Earth life is a school and we simply learn here the things that can't be learned in heaven.  It has to do with the difference between the physics of where we are now versus the physics of the place we call heaven.   Because of those overwhelming feelings of oneness and connectedness and lack of time and space it may be impossible to understand or know what it means or how it feels to be a separate unique individual in heaven or even what separation is, or understand what time and space look and feel like.   We come here to experience lots and lots of separation from the moment we are born and separate from our mothers till the day we die and our death becomes a lesson in separation to our loved ones we leave behind, and also what time and space look and feel like, and be in a body and in control of that body, and make memories of what it was like to live in a 3 dimensional + 1 time Universe.    The soul's lessons are embedded in our everyday lives and it is holistically imprinted with what it needs to learn regardless of who we are, or where we live, or even what we believe.   We learn what we are supposed to learn even if we don't want to.   This is what it means to learn holistically.   We are spiritual beings having a physical experience. And we don't live for just ourselves.  The things I am learning or you are learning are stored in some great collective unconscious and are available for everyone (and probably everything) to access when they are needed.   On the other side because of those feelings of oneness and connectedness all information is available instantly and everything is completely interconnected and nothing is separate.  It is a different way of understanding reality.  The physics of heaven is very different from the physics of where we are now.  This is the place of separation and heaven is the place of oneness and connectedness.    

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Artaxerxes said:

Our body belongs to the Earth but our Soul belongs to heaven.   Our sojourn here is temporary.  This Earth life is a school and we simply learn here the things that can't be learned in heaven.  It has to do with the difference between the physics of where we are now versus the physics of the place we call heaven.   Because of those overwhelming feelings of oneness and connectedness and lack of time and space it may be impossible to understand or know what it means or how it feels to be a separate unique individual in heaven or even what separation is, or understand what time and space look and feel like.   We come here to experience lots and lots of separation from the moment we are born and separate from our mothers till the day we die and our death becomes a lesson in separation to our loved ones we leave behind, and also what time and space look and feel like, and be in a body and in control of that body, and make memories of what it was like to live in a 3 dimensional + 1 time Universe.    The soul's lessons are embedded in our everyday lives and it is holistically imprinted with what it needs to learn regardless of who we are, or where we live, or even what we believe.   We learn what we are supposed to learn even if we don't want to.   This is what it means to learn holistically.   We are spiritual beings having a physical experience. And we don't live for just ourselves.  The things I am learning or you are learning are stored in some great collective unconscious and are available for everyone (and probably everything) to access when they are needed.   On the other side because of those feelings of oneness and connectedness all information is available instantly and everything is completely interconnected and nothing is separate.  It is a different way of understanding reality.  The physics of heaven is very different from the physics of where we are now.  This is the place of separation and heaven is the place of oneness and connectedness.    

And how do you know this is legit?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Artaxerxes said:

That's the cultural fantasy. It has nothing to do with actual existence. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

You sound so certain. How do you know that what we currently understand about physics is not just a drop of water in an ocean ? Like the earth is to the universe.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

The world is filled with personal fantasies. Religion isnt even close to the top of the list, IMHO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, razman said:

You sound so certain. How do you know that what we currently understand about physics is not just a drop of water in an ocean ? Like the earth is to the universe.

Because well supported rock solid basics that we have understood for a long time refute it. Sure there's a lot to learn. That won't change what we know is correct. 

We have know this for quite some time actually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

The world is filled with personal fantasies. Religion isnt even close to the top of the list, IMHO. 

Exactly. This is just another opinion, like John Cleelse's opinion in the OP. I'd have thought he was better educated than to champion old failed ideas though. Just goes to show though, woo can rot any brain. 

Id bet that some of the posters on this very thread would not be do adoring of his views on Trump and those who voted for him. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Exactly. This is just another opinion, like John Cleelse's opinion in the OP. I'd have thought he was better educated than to champion old failed ideas though. Just goes to show though, woo can rot any brain. 

Id bet that some of the posters on this very thread would not be do adoring of his views on Trump and those who voted for him. 

Meh, most religionists will call his view heretical also. Maybe all religionists and all atheists. His view, though interesting, would seem to conflict with near all religious tenets ive ever read about.

Regardless of education, he's in cimpany with the 85% of the world that professes to follow some belief system.

On 8/11/2020 at 10:07 PM, psyche101 said:

An hour and forty minutes? 

Anyone willing to summarise? I'm not sure o want to waste that much time listening to someone's opinions of anecdotes. 

I believe alot lies in faith it can't all be given away

21 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I guess I'm proving that I'm not a clueless moron who is fascinated by very old failed ideas? Mind brain dualism was first proposed back with Plato, made more famous by Descartes about 400 years ago. 

It's about as fascinating as phlogiston. It has a history in failure. No, I don't see the need to waste an hour and forty minutes on yet another anecdote driven opinion. I can see why Cleese was a comedian and not a scientist. 

Afterlife isn't a possibility according to physics. So it's not that much of a mystery. The only real mystery left associated with the afterlife is why people still believe in human specific ideas that are refuted by the sciences for a bunch of anecdotes. That doesn't sound sensible at all to me. If there really is something to these anecdotes, it's not an afterlife. 

People don't mind listening to opinions they find comforting. I bet plenty gave this the full hour and forty minutes, but I doubt any of them would bother to listen to forty minutes of Sean Carroll explaining why physics refutes the afterlife. People don't care about what's real, just what they like. 

Sounds like an opinion 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Meh, most religionists will call his view heretical also. Maybe all religionists and all atheists. His view, though interesting, would seem to conflict with near all religious tenets ive ever read about.

Regardless of education, he's in cimpany with the 85% of the world that professes to follow some belief system.

Do you mean Cleese? How on earth is the old failed idea of mind body dualism interesting? I asked and then that too. I don't get it. It's an old failed idea that never had, or gained any real world evidence to support it. I think it's actually a pretty stupid idea to be honest. But it is even sillier to pursue a lost cause. I just expected Cleese to have better education than that. 

People can believe in the afterlife, or mind body dualism all they like. And they can allow Cleelse's celebrity status to bolster their view in sycophantic frenzy, but it won't change the very fact that physics refutes the idea. And as I pointed out for some perspective, I'm sure the Trumpeters wouldn't approve of his views of them, or their leader. It's just another opinion, and is actually based on a terrible idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Do you mean Cleese? How on earth is the old failed idea of mind body dualism interesting? I asked and then that too. I don't get it. It's an old failed idea that never had, or gained any real world evidence to support it. I think it's actually a pretty stupid idea to be honest. But it is even sillier to pursue a lost cause. I just expected Cleese to have better education than that. 

People can believe in the afterlife, or mind body dualism all they like. And they can allow Cleelse's celebrity status to bolster their view in sycophantic frenzy, but it won't change the very fact that physics refutes the idea. And as I pointed out for some perspective, I'm sure the Trumpeters wouldn't approve of his views of them, or their leader. It's just another opinion, and is actually based on a terrible idea. 

One person's smart is another person's stupid. Ideas dont have to be evidenced to be interesting, or worthy of discussion. 

Why would you expect Cleese to be better educated then that? Are you presupposing him being "educated" because he is famous, a good actor and funny?

I dont believe education combats religion. It is comfort that is undermining religion. The vast mass of the worlds athiests, agnostics and non-religious, arent terribly smarter, or more educated. They simply live where all needs are easily supplied, and thus the desire for a God that can intervene is not a strong variable.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Humbled Hypocrite83 said:

I believe alot lies in faith it can't all be given away

Sure it can. People sell it every day

52 minutes ago, Humbled Hypocrite83 said:

Sounds like an opinion 

It is a factual opinion, the one I have proposed is based on facts and can be supported, unlike the old ideas John Cleese has regurgitated. It's not like I'm making stuff up, or it is something that cannot be shown. All one has to do to understand why life after death won't happen is read up. Physics explains it through thermodynamics and atomic structure, 2 subjects that aren't that hard to grasp with a little effort.

• Thanks 1