Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Biden picks Kamala Harris

Hankenhunter

3 minutes ago, Setton said:

Second vote I ever cast after 2010 election.

Likewise, I voted for but it was never going to get past when we had the Tories actively lying about it from the position of government. Never voted for them since.

I've voted Tory for the last few times, but ONLY to get Brexit ! 

Oh.. and to get Boris Johnson into No. 10, just for the giggles ! 

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Sadly, the only party supporting Proportional Representation where the LlibDems, and I strongly object to all the REST of their policies :( 

Do you have "liberal democrats" in the UK?  I thought it was the upper class was one party and the working class was the other (Torrys and Labour) or has that changed?

P.S.  Thanks for bringing up your politics.  It really fits with this thread.  :rolleyes:  However it is rare for you all to admit you have politics in your country, instead making comments about ours based on what your media tells you and what you think you see from your foggy glasses.

Edited by Desertrat56

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Good question.  Is it pandering to listen to the largest part of the population and coincidentally the largest drivers of our economy?  Nasdaq, the Dow, and Wall Street those indicators the President seems to think are all important are not located  in rural America.  Better for us if we realized our economy is bound to all of our prosperity and acted accordingly, meaning rural, urban, agricultural, manufacturing, service and finance get voices without one dominating all the others.

It is pandering if the governing is only done to favour that part of the country because once elected they’ll want to be re-elected. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It is pandering if the governing is only done to favour that part of the country because once elected they’ll want to be re-elected. 

Yes indeed my friend.  One can pander to favor any part of the country powerful enough to get them reelected.   Doesn't matter whether that us yuppie urban professionals or  good ole boys with pickup trucks if they can get you reelected.  Is pandering all we have left?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/eisenhower-political-party-moral/

President Eisenhower said that a political party must be dedicated to the advancement of a moral cause, otherwise it is just a conspiracy to seize power.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Do you have "liberal democrats" in the UK?  I thought it was the upper class was one party and the working class was the other (Torrys and Labour) or has that changed?

The lib Dems were the minority party in the 2010 coalition government so not exactly new...

P.S.  Thanks for bringing up your politics.  It really fits with this thread.  :rolleyes: 

Our politics are entirely relevant here. You could learn from them if you can get over the whole 'american exceptionalism' fetish.

However it is rare for you all to admit you have politics in your country, instead making comments about ours based on what your media tells you and what you think you see from your foggy glasses.

You clearly need to spend more time on the UK and Europe boards.

This is a genteel exchange for me and @RoofGardener

6 hours ago, Setton said:

But the government and PM will be from the most popular party. Unlike under the US system and unlike your initial statement.

Let's assume you meant majority government. There's been two times in Australia where the majority government wasn't the most popular. How is Britain proofed against this?

17 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Let's assume you meant majority government. There's been two times in Australia where the majority government wasn't the most popular. How is Britain proofed against this?

How does that happen?

As I said, in the UK, we elect an MP for each equal-sized constituency. The party with more than half the MPs forms the government. As the constituencies are equal in size, to have more than half the MPs, you must have the most votes.

37 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

How is Britain proofed against this?

it is not. 

in both 1951 and Feb 1974 the government was formed by a party that won the most seats but did not receive the most votes. 

just a hypothetical example - there are 650 seats and say just two parties stand for simplicity - party A just needs 1 more vote than B in 326 seats - it could loose the remaining 324 seats by thousands, or in fact not even stand a candidate in those seats, but would win the election and lose the popular vote.  

Edited by RAyMO
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Setton said:

How does that happen?

As I said, in the UK, we elect an MP for each equal-sized constituency. The party with more than half the MPs forms the government. As the constituencies are equal in size, to have more than half the MPs, you must have the most votes.

That's how we do it in Australia too.  The idea in electioneering is not to waste time in safe opposition seats and concentrate on the marginals.

Take a simple example of five seats.  Two go to the losers at 77 per cent; and three go to the government at 51 per cent.  The government wasn't most popular.

37 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

it is not. 

in both 1951 and Feb 1974 the government was formed by a party that won the most seats but did not receive the most votes. 

just a hypothetical example - there are 650 seats and say just two parties stand for simplicity - party A just needs 1 more vote than B in 326 seats - it could loose the remaining 324 seats by thousands, or in fact not even stand a candidate in those seats, but would win the election and lose the popular vote.  

Thanks, I could check for myself; but, I'm sitting on a train. 

Where those goverments majority governments? 

PS. I just checked 1951.  321 to (295 + 6 + 3).

Edited by Golden Duck

22 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

True democracy for California and New York. Anywhere in between better get used to democrats in power for ever no matter who they vote for at a federal level.

i thought so too until very recently,  now reading how SF has 2x as many houses on the market compared to last year,it says a lot, there is a mass exodus from the state,  same in nyc even more so since i have direct knowledge how businesses close and move out of nyc, and all of it direct result of dems\progs doing.  soon enough LA and NYC will not decide the state vote, it may even turn republican, 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Setton said:

This is a genteel exchange for me and @RoofGardener

We don't spend ALL of our time insulting one another :) 

Bignose

25 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

We don't spend ALL of our time insulting one another :) 

Bignose

Of course not!

Smelly face

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2020 at 7:41 PM, Hugh Mungus said:

True democracy for California and New York. Anywhere in between better get used to democrats in power for ever no matter who they vote for at a federal level.

Would it be true democracy if the presidential candidates only represented the views of a handful of states where the majority of the population live? Seems like tyranny for the rest of the people to me

Nonsens. True democracy is when you vote for the best at the given time, regardless of party afilliation. Here in Ontario, Canada, Libs won last time with 60% of the vote only to be outdone by the Conservatives two years ago with 70% I believe. We don't vote for a party or for the person, we vote who can do the job best. I am voting conservatives this time because Ford proved to be a true Leader.

In the US it is only Dems or Reps. You don't vote for America, you vote for the party. Big difference to other truly democratic nations.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, odas said:

Nonsens. True democracy is when you vote for the best at the given time, regardless of party afilliation. Here in Ontario, Canada, Libs won last time with 60% of the vote only to be outdone by the Conservatives two years ago with 70% I believe. We don't vote for a party or for the person, we vote who can do the job best. I am voting conservatives this time because Ford proved to be a true Leader.

In the US it is only Dems or Reps. You don't vote for America, you vote for the party. Big difference to other truly democratic nations.

Oh yes, Captain Canuck! Your strength is that of ten men, because your heart is p-u-r-e!:nw:

On 8/19/2020 at 12:37 PM, Hammerclaw said:

Oh yes, Captain Canuck! Your strength is that of ten men, because your heart is p-u-r-e!:nw:

Thaaaaaaank you very much!