Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A question for christians

Chronus

So I am a Christian, but my faith isnt good. Its like saying I believe when I dont. When I pray I feel nothing, its just like words to me. So could you all just pray and ask God to give me a sign or something to boost my faith, because it dosnt seem that prayers work for me. Thanks.

• Thanks 2

IMO?

Also one problem I have is that I dont really know how to open myself up to him. I havent opened myself up to most people tbh

• Like 1

What you should do is download the Tubi app, sign up, then binge watch the series "Lexx".

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Chronus said:

because it dosnt seem that prayers work for me. Thanks.

Probably because you're not actually a Christian. Seems that reality tunnel has been derailed. Most Christians prayers are confirmation bias. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Probably because you're not actually a Christian. Seems that reality tunnel has been derailed. Most Christians prayers are confirmation bias. 

I never really wanted to say it, but yea, either I have barely any faith or none at all, but that makes me wonder. If I am not a Christian, how can god change that, like millions of people turn to god every day, but how? How do they change?

2 minutes ago, Chronus said:

I never really wanted to say it, but yea, either I have barely any faith or none at all, but that makes me wonder. If I am not a Christian, how can god change that, like millions of people turn to god every day, but how? How do they change?

God is basically a placebo, an idea that changes people consciousness. Its what causes drunks and drug addicts to 'magically' change their lives. When the truth is that it is really them. Plus you need to add in what your expectations are with this faith. What do you want out of it. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Chronus said:

You sound like a LOT of Christians I've known in the past.  I think the testimonies being given that make a conversion sound like some magical, instant change into "holiness", do a disservice to most people of faith.  Only you can know if you believe He is the Creator, the son of God.  The opinions, for good or ill, of others can't be used to justify your faith or lack of it.  Becoming a believer isn't an instant transformation.  It's more like a marathon than a sprint and only YOU can know your own heart and mind.  My experience has been that when I've sought God, He will answer in His own good time but He doesn't reach out to us first.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's just that, he never answers my prayers or gives me signs. How am I suppose the belive in something that dosnt say anything or show me anything? When I pray and ask for a sign, I wait weeks on end- months even and I neved got anything

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chronus said:

It's just that, he never answers my prayers or gives me signs. How am I suppose the belive in something that dosnt say anything or show me anything? When I pray and ask for a sign, I wait weeks on end- months even and I neved got anything

That's normal. It's almost as if god doesn't exist. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Chronus said:

This is an issue as old as there have been religions. In Ancient Egypt the "Song of the Blind Harpist", in several variations, expresses doubt in the existance of anything beyond our day to day lives and that death is oblivion. This scepticism, held even at the highest levels in society, led to an attitude among the sceptics of "Live drink and be merry as there is nothing after death". Other sceptical writings suggest that there is no point waiting for any form of sign or communication from "beyond", as nobody ever comes back, and they knew very well that "voices of the gods" were just a priest hidden behind a statue. Enjoy life, do no ill, and do not rely on the invisible to "guide you" as all of this "guidance" is the work of mortal men.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Chronus said:

It's a crutch to lean on. All you have to do is accept a spiritual character and you are "saved". You don't have to work for enlightenment like in Shamanism, Chaos Majick or Buddhism. 

People grow up and realize they don't need a crutch and can only depend on themselves. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Chronus said:

Maybe you  need to explore other belief systems and see if any fit, or if you can pick and choose from all of them to get a base line of belief or non-belief, which ever feels more comfortable to you.  Don't ever think something is wrong with you because you don't feel the same way others claim to.  A lot of christians claim stuff that is not true.  You can't buy someone else's religion, you have to find your own or find how you fit in the universe, which ever way you prefer to perceive it.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Chronus said:

Perhaps it's just all tied up in how a person thinks. Sometimes when it comes to thinking it's as simple as trying a different gear.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Will do said:

Perhaps it's just all tied up in how a person thinks. Sometimes when it comes to thinking it's as simple as trying a different gear.

I don't get it

13 minutes ago, Chronus said:

I don't get it

When it comes to thinking, usually there's a tendency to avoid thinking that there isn't an alternative way. Often, our way of thinking gets stuck in a rut. But it's possible to simply abandon the old way of thinking and seek another way. Maybe a new way will be more useful.

Like some animals shed their skin for a fresh start in order to grow some more.

Edited by Will do
  • Like 1

So basically I need to think about it differently?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chronus said:

I don't get it

I think a lot of Christians think that the ins and outs of the going on between man and God revolve around how things feels.

But that's not where the rubber hits the road in my opinion. That's not where progress is made.

It's in our thinking were the communion exists. 

Just now, Chronus said:

Yes. In a more progressive way rather than just different. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chronus said:

Be careful. Will has a book he'll try to sell you on. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Be careful. Will has a book he'll try to sell you on. 

Xeno, I'm trying a different approach. 

How about you join me in changing it up?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Prayer is important, but being a Christian requires action. When Jesus was 12-years-old, He said this: “Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?” (Luke 2:49). 
The apostle James said this about religion: “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” (James 1:27).

James said this about Faith: “Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.“ (James 2:18).

Jesus ended the Sermon on the Mount with these words: “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” (Matthew 7:24-27). (Italics added by me).

There are times when the answers to your prayers only become evident when you’re acting out your faith.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, simplybill said:

Prayer is important, but being a Christian requires action. When Jesus was 12-years-old, He said this: “Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?” (Luke 2:49). 
The apostle James said this about religion: “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” (James 1:27).

James said this about Faith: “Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.“ (James 2:18).

Jesus ended the Sermon on the Mount with these words: “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” (Matthew 7:24-27). (Italics added by me).

There are times when the answers to your prayers only become evident when you’re acting out your faith.

Sorry I am not that smart, can you tune that down to easier terms?