Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I have a question?

Chronus

think this belongs here, so here is the question: What urban legend/myth has scared you, like really bad  (like it can be anything)?

I haven't been scared by any urban legend but as a child we were all told about La Llorona as a reason to stay out of ditches and the river.  (in English her name translates to crying woman).  Supposedly a woman went to the river and drowned her two children, then drowned herself after spending time walking along the river bank crying.  If you see or hear her and you are a child in the water she will drown you.  It is the same name used in Mexico also, but I think the story is a little different.

We also heard about the boogy man hiding under children's beds and snatching them if they didn't go to sleep.

• Like 2

Not so much urban legend but miles down a once isolated road was a place called crystal lake (no not the one from Friday the 13th) which had the allegedly most haunted cemetery in the state.  A bunch of friends and I drove down there when I first got my drivers license and the place was the scariest place you've ever seen.  Desecrated, vandalized and overgrown, the newest grave 45 years old.  We dared ourselves to stay until midnight and made it to the beginning of dusk.  So freaky we couldn't drive fast enough to escape the oppressive atmosphere. 

• Like 2

Actually none, I've never found one i found to be believable enough to concern me. Even around my area.:)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I haven't been scared by any urban legend but as a child we were all told about La Llorona as a reason to stay out of ditches and the river.  (in English her name translates to crying woman).  Supposedly a woman went to the river and drowned her two children, then drowned herself after spending time walking along the river bank crying.  If you see or hear her and you are a child in the water she will drown you.  It is the same name used in Mexico also, but I think the story is a little different.

We also heard about the boogy man hiding under children's beds and snatching them if they didn't go to sleep.

yea i have heard of la Llorona, its interesting. Growing up y'know we hear of the boogeyman but we never really payed attention to it- although we did have something that we dubbed the Bathroom boogeyman, it started when my sister was using the bathroom one night and heard something breathing in the shower, probably nothing though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

Not so much urban legend but miles down a once isolated road was a place called crystal lake (no not the one from Friday the 13th) which had the allegedly most haunted cemetery in the state.  A bunch of friends and I drove down there when I first got my drivers license and the place was the scariest place you've ever seen.  Desecrated, vandalized and overgrown, the newest grave 45 years old.  We dared ourselves to stay until midnight and made it to the beginning of dusk.  So freaky we couldn't drive fast enough to escape the oppressive atmosphere. 

that is freaky, i want to do that kind of stuff though, and put it on youtube

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know any at all in Wales to be honest. Don't really hear about urban legends and what not anymore.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 1:12 PM, Orphalesion said:

I miss being able to be scared of stuff like that...

At some point reality kicks in and being afraid of ghost means nothing. Especially when there's probably a serial killer down the street. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 10:09 PM, diddyman68 said:

The only myth i can think of from my area is the lampton worm..... I don't believe a word of it though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambton_Worm 

How cool would it be if one of these myths turned out to be real? Why can't we just have one fire breathing dragon? Or a werewolf? :cry:

• Like 1