Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Roman coin found in Montana?

Carnoferox

Just now, Kenemet said:

Hoax is possible, but so is someone offering a 'worthless" coin in trade as trade goods.

Yes, I think that explanation is more likely than a hoax. I was just making the point that a hoax is still more likely than a coin collector dropping it there accidentally.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

This area wasn’t well traveled back in the day (and still isn’t) so it’d be one hell of a coincidence if a coin collector just happened to drop it in a teepee circle there. A hoax would be even more likely than that explanation.

The obscurity of it largely rules out the notion of a hoax in my mind. If this was a hoax I think it would likely be framed as such, rather than sitting in some obscurity. Generally with hoaxes people will want the story out there - even if they claim they would rather not due to the 'shame' of believing in X. The coin isn't being used to push an agenda, it isn't being popularized, it isn't being touted as evidence of one thing or another. It's just there. Rarely are hoaxes framed in such a fashion. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

It would have been brought across by European settlers. That means that it could not have been in the USA before1492 (and more likely way after 1650). 

Personally, I suspect it was traded to the Native Americans around 1680. Probably on a Thursday, around 15:00 ? 

Was that a Leap year?

4 hours ago, Kenemet said:

It was from 1940.

There are and were coin collectors long before that.  I have some old Roman coins and if I dropped one, it would not be proof of ancient Romans in Texas.  I also have an authentic Egyptian ushabti from the reign of Psamtik I.  This doesn't prove Egyptians in Texas.

Yeah if a volcano suddenly covered up my house an archaeologist far in the future might be confused. They would find ST bits and pieces made from  a half dozen materials,  to include obsidian from SA, ME and Asia and made by two dozen or more industries. He/she would also be confounded by a collection of isolated sherds from two score ancient civilizations and societies from across the earth mixed in with Mexican coke bottles, plentiful fossils, chain mail, and a great deal of Japanese and Chinese pottery.

• Like 6

On 8/13/2020 at 4:56 AM, RoofGardener said:

It would have been brought across by European settlers. That means that it could not have been in the USA before1492 (and more likely way after 1650). 

Personally, I suspect it was traded to the Native Americans around 1680. Probably on a Thursday, around 15:00 ? 

Unless it arrived via the Norse, and then was traded and passed around, and ended up lost where it was.  Stranger things have happened than a coin travelling thousands of miles. ;)

10 hours ago, Bavarian Raven said:

Unless it arrived via the Norse, and then was traded and passed around, and ended up lost where it was.  Stranger things have happened than a coin travelling thousands of miles. ;)

True of course, though I'm dubious of the Scandanavian connection. Did the Romans ever really penetrate into Scandanavia ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

True of course, though I'm dubious of the Scandanavian connection. Did the Romans ever really penetrate into Scandanavia ? 

See this article.

• Like 1

Hmmm.... interesting. However, the era the article discusses is surely WAY after the age of the vikings, and hence the theorised travels of vikings to Canada  ? 

9 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmmm.... interesting. However, the era the article discusses is surely WAY after the age of the vikings, and hence the theorised travels of vikings to Canada  ? 

It is, but the coin (I am assuming) was from a pre viking era? (if it was a roman coin and all - not Byzantium). A coin is quiet durable and could have been passed around / down generations for a long time before being lost. :) Not saying its likely, but it is possible. History can be strange lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bavarian Raven said:

It is, but the coin (I am assuming) was from a pre viking era? (if it was a roman coin and all - not Byzantium). A coin is quiet durable and could have been passed around / down generations for a long time before being lost. :) Not saying its likely, but it is possible. History can be strange lol.

Byzantine and Persian coins made their way to northern European places in very great numbers. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Windowpane said:

As explained previously,  JSTOR access should not be problematic.

"An article you can access without membership and as a bonus written at a time since we have all been born."

But you still need to be a registered member, right? So you point would be what then?  

12 hours ago, Thanos5150 said:

"An article you can access without membership and as a bonus written at a time since we have all been born."

But you still need to be a registered member, right? So you point would be what then?  

If you've ever attended a post secondary institute, you can access it for free. 

On 8/13/2020 at 1:02 PM, RoofGardener said:

Curious how no  Native American artifacts have been found in old Roman camps ? 

Some 2000 years ago, maybe a century more or less, some Roman historian noted that the Celtic (?) tribe called the Boioi (?) in what's now Bavaria had captured/found some 'Indians'. I have posted about this in a thread of my own, but at present, because of the fcking heat here in Holland, and having had a sip or two, I cant find it.

I also remember that I posted in that thread about Columbus visiting Glasgow, and that he learned about some Inuit arriving in a canoe. And that that was one of his reasons he set out on his historical voyage to discover the Americas.

Cheers.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/63098142/jack-d-forbes-the-american-discovery-of-europe-university-of-illinois-press-2007

Book about tales and reports of Inuit in Europe. Starts on page 133.

Columbus and the Galway story on page 20-21 (computer page) actual page 6+

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

"The Inuit Route to Europe".

Thanks.

Certainly.

I once spent several years studying all aspects of the Norse in Greenland and this was one of the interesting side issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/63098142/jack-d-forbes-the-american-discovery-of-europe-university-of-illinois-press-2007

Book about tales and reports of Inuit in Europe. Starts on page 133.

Columbus and the Galway story on page 20-21 (computer page) actual page 6+

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Some 2000 years ago, maybe a century more or less, some Roman historian noted that the Celtic (?) tribe called the Boioi (?) in what's now Bavaria had captured/found some 'Indians'. I have posted about this in a thread of my own, but at present, because of the fcking heat here in Holland, and having had a sip or two, I cant find it.

I also remember that I posted in that thread about Columbus visiting Glasgow, and that he learned about some Inuit arriving in a canoe. And that that was one of his reasons he set out on his historical voyage to discover the Americas.

Cheers.

Wow, I have never heard of that matter before. Thank you both.:tu:

• Like 4

bull****. He was shooting for Asia. 

Find it. Because it smells like bigger bull****. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe it is. Maybe it were Indians from India.

I will try to find that thread.

But not now

Just now, Abramelin said:

Maybe it is. Maybe it were Indians from India.

All the pre-Colombian North American contact theories promote that "vast wilderness" horse**** when NA was heavily populated with large centers and trade routes stretching coast to coast.

Which means they wouldn't of escaped with prisoners. The would be burned as ones. 

We weren't **** smeared backwards savages like your Frankish ancestors.........

• Like 1
  • Sad 2