Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

USPS warns of delays in mail-in vote count

Still Waters

The US Postal Service (USPS) has warned that millions of mail-in votes may not arrive in time to be counted on the presidential election day, 3 November.

In letters to states across the country last month, the agency said "certain deadlines... are incongruous with the Postal Service's delivery standards".

Critics have blamed the new USPS head - a loyal supporter of President Donald Trump - for a slowdown in deliveries.

A record number of people are expected to vote by mail due to the pandemic.

But on Thursday, Mr Trump said he was blocking additional funding for the USPS to help with election issues, because he opposed mail-in voting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-53782331

• Like 1

• The title was changed to USPS warns of delays in mail-in vote count

Hmm... the BBC article points out that FeEx and UPS have rejected calls to delivery the mail. Why is that ? 

• Like 1

Why does trump assume that mail in ballots would be dis advantageous to him?   Paranoid schizophrenia?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm... the BBC article points out that FeEx and UPS have rejected calls to delivery the mail. Why is that ? 

Because they are in business to make money and if the USPS has no budget why would the pay Fed Ex & UPS?  The budget is the big issue and Trump has made things really bad for the whole U.S. because of it.  However, Congress could have done something years ago.  The postal service has been underfunded for decades and I think it was because someone wants to privatize it, which is not a good thing.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, lightly said:

Why does trump assume that mail in ballots would be dis advantageous to him?   Paranoid schizophrenia?

Because more people will vote and he only has a chance if he can keep people who usually don't vote from voting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if we should be too suprised. In states that had all mail-in-ballits during the primaries they didn't announce their results until a few days after.

• Like 1

usps is pretty strange and unpredictable in some ways,, it can take 7 days for a letter from NJ,  to get to NY ,but a package from california gets in 3-4 days,  if timing matters  a lot, usps isn't  a service i'd use even in good times , as in no virus, no elections....  but in this case  it doesn't matter at all, cuz EC decides elections, not popular vote

What the election commission should do on mail in ballots is to place a bar code that is only visible once opened by the voter.

The USPS would scan that bar code as it is sent to the final destination which should be the polling district. The USPS would keep track of those ballots electronically.

Should suspected fraud occur in a district, they would compare current ballots within the district to the number mailed to them from the voters.

I'm not saying fraud exist, it is just this would defiantly put districts on edge should they decide to add or take away votes. 

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Because more people will vote and he only has a chance if he can keep people who usually don't vote from voting. 

Because Republicans are outnumbered, and the more people vote, the worse they do. So instead of getting a more appealing platform that 2/3rds of the country doesn't think its hot garbage, which would cut off the gravy train of corporate donors, they just decided its more profitable to go full fascist and prevent people who would vote against them from being able to do so.

While most of those who vote republican are not, the GOP is evil. Straight up, outright malevolent, obsessed with greed and power, and willing to do just about anything to keep it. Such harmful selfishness has only one definition, and I don't use the word evil lightly, but if this is where they're at...that's the only word I can think of that suits them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lightly said:

Maybe...just spitballing here... but maybe because the Left have been attempting a f#&^#$% coup against him for 4 years?  One might better ask why the Left is suddenly so desperate to change the way we handle elections, only 3 months out?  We've heard a LOT on these threads about how noble, honest and trustworthy Saint Anthony de Fauci is and he AGREES that in-person voting is safe.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, aztek said:

usps is pretty strange and unpredictable in some ways,, it can take 7 days for a letter from NJ,  to get to NY ,but a package from california gets in 3-4 days,  if timing matters  a lot, usps isn't  a service i'd use even in good times , as in no virus, no elections....  but in this case  it doesn't matter at all, cuz EC decides elections, not popular vote

The course of all this is predictable.  Trump will win the states that DON'T use this method and in states where no one can vote  at a polling place the results will be delayed until the Left know how many votes Trump got.  Then, days later, just enough missed ballots will turn up to give the state to Biden.  I'd see the country burn down before I'd sit still for that.

10 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I don't know if we should be too suprised. In states that had all mail-in-ballits during the primaries they didn't announce their results until a few days after.

Patterson NJ waited SIX WEEKS trying to determine who won a primary.  There are many examples from history and currently that prove the need to avoid this kind of voting.  If the Ds do it anyhow then what comes next is on them.

15 hours ago, acidhead said:

You know, a congress person blaming the Obama administration for causing the USPS to be "a mismanage wreck" is ludicrous!  The reason the USPS is mismanages is because congress will not give them the budget they need to function properly.  It has nothing to do with any president.  Look it up.   Congress has to approve their budget and has not given them a manageable budget in a few decades.  And one of the rules is called the Consumer price index price cap.  Which currently is set unreasonably low.  Megan Brennan is lobbying for autonomy so that they can at least charge enough to break even.  So, anything Trump says about it (or anything else as far as I can tell) is based on disinformation or misunderstanding.

• Thanks 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/heres-one-way-trump-could-try-to-steal-the-election-voting-experts-say/2020/08/16/b5bf0c2a-de66-11ea-b205-ff838e15a9a6_story.html

So, on election night, initial returns based on in-person voting could show Trump winning, even though large numbers of mailed ballots remain uncounted.

At that point, the experts warn, Trump could declare himself the victor, saying the mailed ballots should be ignored because of the (baseless) risk of significant fraud. In states where Republicans control the voting process, he might get away with it.

Yeah, don't be surprised if this scenario happens.

2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Yeah, don't be surprised if this scenario happens.

Then maybe, they should go to the freakin POLLING PLACES and vote like they have for decades?  How difficult is this?  And BTW, the idiot childishness of those screaming about mailboxes being removed is getting old as well.  This is from the government:

https://www.uspsoig.gov/document/mail-collection-box-—-management-service-status

Obama-Biden removed over 14 THOUSAND mail boxes in 5 years.  You people really need to grow the hell up.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, and then said:

Then maybe, they should go to the freakin POLLING PLACES and vote like they have for decades?  How difficult is this?  And BTW, the idiot childishness of those screaming about mailboxes being removed is getting old as well.  This is from the government:

https://www.uspsoig.gov/document/mail-collection-box-—-management-service-status

Obama-Biden removed over 14 THOUSAND mail boxes in 5 years.  You people really need to grow the hell up.

President Trump on Monday further cast doubt on the U.S. election process, claiming falsely that the only way he would lose in November is if the election is "rigged."

Trump's warning about the election being "rigged" punctuates a broader assault on mail-in ballots that the president has waged with fervency since states began efforts to expand mail-in voting so that individuals can cast ballots without having to physically go to the polls during the pandemic.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-the-only-way-we-are-going-to-lose-this-election-is-if-the-election-is-rigged/ar-BB184zKr?ocid=msedgdhp

Trump is already saying if he loses it was rigged. But I guess that means if he wins, it wasn't. He's the one who needs to grow up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

He's the one who needs to grow up.

This election is not going to be given up by those of us who have watched this coup for 4 years.  We've had ENOUGH and we aren't going to accept this crap sitting down, any longer.  This all could be avoided if the Dems just refrained from inserting this variable at the last minute.  They won't refrain though.  Even when their sainted source for all things Covid says it's safe to vote in person.  Bring the pain baby.  We can all share it together.

3 minutes ago, and then said:

This election is not going to be given up by those of us who have watched this coup for 4 years. 

Yes it will...

I said it 4 years ago coming up on right after Trumps swearing in,and the "Madona marches" that Republicans were going to have to actually counter protest in numbers till EVERYONE decided it best to sit down and talk...Trump is 1 man,he can't do everything alone.

Republicans have sat on their hands and ran scared just like every chicken s*** Republican in Washington.

Sorry AT,the Republicans have shown me nothing other than if Trump gets robbed,they'll grab their ankles and take it...

6 hours ago, and then said:

Then maybe, they should go to the freakin POLLING PLACES and vote like they have for decades?  How difficult is this?  

You might have noticed this pandemic thing going on. They are perfectly entitled to vote by mail and if they feel that's the safer option for them, who are you or anyone else to prevent that?

Of course, I'm sure this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that 75% of Democrat supporters reportedly intend to vote by mail compared to only 25% of republicans...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem is that voting by mail...and we've had a successful absentee system here in Ohio for years....takes time, trial and error to set up. The recent election in ny, 6 weeks later still doesnt have a winner. Mass mailing ballots to names on a list has a huge chance of error. Not only old or obsolete lists,  I think in the NY case they've already found 850 ballots cast by dead people...keep in mind that those were deliberately filled out and cast by a live human,....but lost or missed by post date...I heard 30,000 in one mass ballot sending were thrown out for that reason. And what's to stop people from mailing their ballot a few days before the election and then going and voting in person? 

There isn't enough time to set up a checks and balance system that will be fair and without corruption before the election. If they really wanted a mail in vote why are they whining about it now? They could have started in March getting a system set up....I think only now, when they arent sure of a win, they are trying to set up a way to either confuse or contest the results or try to rig it for themselves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skliss said:

The problem is that voting by mail...and we've had a successful absentee system here in Ohio for years....takes time, trial and error to set up. The recent election in ny, 6 weeks later still doesnt have a winner. Mass mailing ballots to names on a list has a huge chance of error. Not only old or obsolete lists,  I think in the NY case they've already found 850 ballots cast by dead people...keep in mind that those were deliberately filled out and cast by a live human,....but lost or missed by post date...I heard 30,000 in one mass ballot sending were thrown out for that reason. And what's to stop people from mailing their ballot a few days before the election and then going and voting in person? 

There isn't enough time to set up a checks and balance system that will be fair and without corruption before the election. If they really wanted a mail in vote why are they whining about it now? They could have started in March getting a system set up....I think only now, when they arent sure of a win, they are trying to set up a way to either confuse or contest the results or try to rig it for themselves. 

i do not think it's time issue,  no time in the world would be enough, it is just impossible to do, period,  why? because human nature. and  corruption by power

On 8/15/2020 at 8:20 PM, and then said:

Patterson NJ waited SIX WEEKS trying to determine who won a primary.  There are many examples from history and currently that prove the need to avoid this kind of voting.  If the Ds do it anyhow then what comes next is on them.

Now THIS:

This was ONE city in ONE state.  Some judge decided the only equitable solution was a do-over.  If the Dems force this issue then they will be held accountable for the chaos.  They KNOW that to "win", all they have to do is slow walk results until January 20, 2021.  Apparently, Pelosi would take the office. Not gonna happen without a LOT of pain by everyone involved.