Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Highest temperature on Earth' recorded in US

Still Waters

What could be the highest temperature ever reliably recorded on Earth - 130F (54.4C) - may have been reached in Death Valley National Park, California.

The recording is being verified by the US National Weather Service.

Sunday's reading was recorded in Furnace Creek in Death Valley.

Before this, the highest temperature reliably recorded on Earth was 129.2F (54C) - also in Death Valley in 2013.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53788018

https://www.klfm967.co.uk/news/world-news/3163081/death-valley-hits-544c---in-what-could-be-highest-temperature-ever-recorded-on-earth/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

It has been hotter than usual this summer in New Mexico.  Usually by now we get temps between 90 & 100, but we have been over 100 (sometimes 107) every day this month. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Death Valley has always recorded hot temperatures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest_temperature_recorded_on_Earth

According to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the highest registered air temperature on Earth was 56.7 °C (134.1 °F) in Furnace Creek Ranch, California, located in the Death Valley desert in the United States, on 10 July 1913,[2][3][4] but the validity of this record is challenged as possible problems with the reading have since been discovered.[5]

Temperatures measured directly on the ground may exceed air temperatures by 30 to 50 °C.[11] The theoretical maximum possible ground surface temperature has been estimated to be between 90 and 100 °C (between 194 and 212 °F) for dry, darkish soils of low thermal conductivity.[12] While there is no highest confirmed ground temperature, a reading of 93.9 °C (201 °F) was allegedly recorded in Furnace Creek Ranch on 15 July 1972.[13]

• Like 6

Of course... these are temps recorded where humans are present.

They are not the hottest, nor the coldest on the planet as a whole... as those places, folks tend not to be able to be present?

That's pretty hot. I think the hottest ever measured here in our own backyard was about 45 degrees celsius, July 2013 in the sun !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thedutchiedutch said:

That's pretty hot. I think the hottest ever measured here in our own backyard was about 45 degrees celsius, July 2013 in the sun !

Where do you live when i was in Darwin we had 42 degrees during the day and only 35 during the night 80 90% humidity too.

• Like 1

This story isn't even true... the highest temperature recorded in Death Valley was on July 10th 1913  and it was 57° C

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

Where do you live when i was in Darwin we had 42 degrees during the day and only 35 during the night 80 90% humidity too.

South Western Ontario.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, joc said:

This story isn't even true... the highest temperature recorded in Death Valley was on July 10th 1913  and it was 57° C

It was recorded at 134 F again on Sunday.

8 hours ago, joc said:

That reading was disputed.

It is the hottest weather since 56.6C (134F) was registered at the same place on 10 July 1913 - but the accuracy of that reading has long been disputed by experts.

https://www.klfm967.co.uk/news/world-news/3163081/death-valley-hits-544c---in-what-could-be-highest-temperature-ever-recorded-on-earth/

Before this, the highest temperature reliably recorded on Earth was 129.2F (54C) - also in Death Valley in 2013.

A higher reading of 134F, or 56.6C a century earlier, also in Death Valley, is disputed. It is believed by some modern weather experts to have been erroneous, along with several other searing temperatures recorded that summer.

According to a 2016 analysis from weather historian Christopher Burt, other temperatures in the region recorded in 1913 do not corroborate the Death Valley reading.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53788018

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

That reading was disputed.

They don't really give any details about the dispute...but I guess to go down as a 'record' there has to be no disputes.  What the...chicken!?  A Firenado?  That's a first for me!  

Firenado in Lassen County on 15 August

As temperatures soared in California, a large "firenado" was observed on Saturday in Lassen County.

33 minutes ago, joc said:

They don't really give any details about the dispute...but I guess to go down as a 'record' there has to be no disputes.  What the...chicken!?  A Firenado?  That's a first for me!  

It was a sandstorm according to this article:

In 1913, a weather station half an hour’s walk away recorded what officially remains the world record of 134 degrees Fahrenheit (56.7 degrees Celsius). But its validity has been disputed because a superheated sandstorm at the time may have skewed the reading.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1575047/temperature-record-set-in-californias-death-valley

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2020 at 9:32 PM, thedutchiedutch said:

Temperatures in the Sun don't count. The 54.4°C Death Valley record temperature was recorded in the shade.  ;)

God knows what the temperature in the Sun was.    :o

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smokeycat said:

Temperatures in the Sun don't count. The 54.4°C Death Valley record temperature was recorded in the shade.  ;)

God knows what the temperature in the Sun was.    :o

Ok, I hear you. Sun or shade. It was hot here that day for sure :yes:

• Like 1