Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elephant to be freed after 35yrs behind bars

Eldorado

"The campaign took five years - but finally Kaavan the elephant is about to be released.

"He spent his entire life in the Maraghazar Zoo in Pakistan’s capital, Islamabad, where animals rights activists claim he was badly mistreated.

"He was kept in chains and exhibited symptoms of mental illness.

"Kaavan's only companion died in 2012. His story has received more and more attention ever since."

Full report at Euronews: Link

Kaavan the elephant: Wikipedia

• Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

That's the thing. People do to animals what they would not want done to them, with zero regard.

Live your life in a bird cage? No problem.

Hooked to a 12 foot chain around a tree 24/7? Check.

Stuck in an Aquarium? What's the big deal?

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, South Alabam said:

That's the thing. People do to animals what they would not want done to them, with zero regard.

Live your life in a bird cage? No problem.

Hooked to a 12 foot chain around a tree 24/7? Check.

Stuck in an Aquarium? What's the big deal?

Yep, cruel in many ways.  I've had a couple parakeets for a few years.  Nothing I can do now.   They would die if I released them.

I have a small dog.   He's got it good though.   Inside and outside and never tied up or even a leash.  So he can run off if he wants, but chooses to stay.  Haven't given him the right to vote yet.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Update:

'World's loneliest elephant' arrives safely in Cambodia

The pachyderm dubbed the " world's loneliest elephant " after languishing alone for years in a Pakistani zoo was greeted on his arrival in Cambodia on Monday by chanting Buddhist monks and was then sent on his way to a wildlife sanctuary.

https://phys.org/news/2020-11-world-loneliest-elephant-safely-cambodia.html

At last :tu:

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Update:

At last :tu:

Bummer they only had pics of his butt.   Maybe he has tusks that they didn't want to advertise.  

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

Bummer they only had pics of his butt.   Maybe he has tusks that they didn't want to advertise.  

There's a couple of pics in this link:

https://news.sky.com/story/kaavan-elephant-helped-by-cher-arrives-in-cambodia-to-start-a-new-life-12147126

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Thanks for that.   I guess the tusks aren't too big.   Probably will be an easy kill for poachers as it is used to humans.    I hope that doesn't happen.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/17/2020 at 2:06 PM, HandsomeGorilla said:

Unfortunately, he is now very old in elephant years and will likely die, soon. 

So..what are you saying then? That we shouldn't make the last remaining years of this elephants life more peaceful and pleasant, bereft of abuse and stress?

Sure, he could die soon but what do you consider 'soon'? Days, weeks, years? Why should it matter? Even if it had only weeks to live, deos that mean we shouldn't try to make its remaining days as comfortable as possible?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

So..what are you saying then? That we shouldn't make the last remaining years of this elephants life more peaceful and pleasant, bereft of abuse and stress?

Sure, he could die soon but what do you consider 'soon'? Days, weeks, years? Why should it matter? Even if it had only weeks to live, deos that mean we shouldn't try to make its remaining days as comfortable as possible?

What are you talking about? 

I was saying it's unfortunate that he'll only be able to live a comfortable life for a short period of time. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

What are you talking about? 

I was saying it's unfortunate that he'll only be able to live a comfortable life for a short period of time. 

Don't get offended now. I merely asked because the way you stated it sounded like we shouldn't bother.