Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Welcome to Kiribati

Peter B

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-18/kiribati-chinese-ambassador-tang-songgen-walking-on-backs/12567506

A photo reportedly showing the Chinese ambassador to Kiribati walking on peoples' backs in a welcome ceremony has not only gone viral — but also reignited the geopolitical debate about China's rising influence in the Pacific.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Didn't take long did it... 

But Mr Bainteiti said the viewpoint of the people from Marakei Island was the one that mattered most.

"The global audience having that opinion — which is tied to politics, which is tied to Taiwan and China — but if you stand in the point of being neutral and put the cultural lens on it will help you understand what is going on," he said.

"I feel it was done out of love and respect to offer that cultural way of saying, 'You are welcome on the island.'"

~

:lol:

~

46 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Didn't take long did it... 

~

:lol:

~

Sure, but I note the article said that not all locals were happy with the ceremony, with one commentator who'd '...worked with Kiribati's former president, Anote Tong, said he had never witnessed a Taiwanese ambassador welcomed in the same way during his time in politics. "There have been a number of Taiwan ambassadors who have visited the same island and I am not aware any that were afforded that welcome ceremony..."'

Sure, I get it - local customs may seem strange to people who aren't locals, and I have little doubt it was a genuine local custom. But it seems there are at least some locals who are uneasy about how it presents Kiribati to the rest of the world, regardless of its genuineness.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Peter B said:

Sure, I get it - local customs may seem strange to people who aren't locals, and I have little doubt it was a genuine local custom. But it seems there are at least some locals who are uneasy about how it presents Kiribati to the rest of the world, regardless of its genuineness.

I don't believe you totally get it, this is not "diplomatic or politics"

This is not about just "welcoming" either... 

This says "we are family" , culturally speaking... 

"Particularly the groom's side lay on the floor to allow the in-laws to walk on them to show that they are happy and welcome them to be part of the family," he said.

~

Come to think of it, I guess it's something of a cultural shock to you folks... Here we do address total strangers as "Uncle and Aunty" as a sign of respect... 

%E6%88%91%E4%BB%AC%E9%83%BD%E6%98%AF%E4%

A non Chinese Malaysian political figure writing "we are all family" on a visit to China ... Representing all Malaysians 

~

Edited by third_eye
Addendum

41 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I don't believe you totally get it, this is not "diplomatic or politics"

This is not about just "welcoming" either... 

This says "we are family" , culturally speaking... 

~

Come to think of it, I guess it's something of a cultural shock to you folks... Here we do address total strangers as "Uncle and Aunty" as a sign of respect... 

A non Chinese Malaysian political figure writing "we are all family" on a visit to China ... Representing all Malaysians 

~

Hang on a sec.  Rimon Rimon is the freelance journalist, quoted by the ABC, raising the question of whether, or not this, a usual practice for diplomats.

Back in June, SBS referred to him as an "opposition spokesman".  So, at least raising the doubt could be political.  Just one additional example would confirm it Rimon is biased.

Anyway, Australia's in the dog-house, with Kirabati, for not doing enough on climate change.  Kiribati, is looking to China for help there - while declaring Australia is at the mercy of the coal industry. And, the coal industry has to toady up to China.

They're all up each other's *****.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Hang on a sec.  Rimon Rimon is the freelance journalist, quoted by the ABC, raising the question of whether, or not this, a usual practice for diplomats.

You know what most everyone says about "opinions" around here... 

~

Back in June, SBS referred to him as an "opposition spokesman".  So, at least raising the doubt could be political.  Just one additional example would confirm it Rimon is biased.

The relationship might be politically motivated, even if it was, I don't believe that renders the cultural traditions anything more than what it is, this is a cultural exchange visit, prior to this I doubt any other diplomatic visit were even interested or recognises anything of cultural importance. 

Meh... 

~

Anyway, Australia's in the dog-house, with Kirabati, for not doing enough on climate change.  Kiribati, is looking to China for help there - while declaring Australia is at the mercy of the coal industry. And, the coal industry has to toady up to China.

Aussies didn't care before, I don't know why Aussies should care so much now. 

~

They're all up each other's *****.

Wake up and smell the "*****" ?

~