Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Transparent toilets installed in Tokyo parks

Still Waters

One of Tokyo's most popular districts has recently added some unusual new attractions: transparent public toilets.

Though the restrooms sound risqué, they're actually part of an innovative project aimed at changing people's perceptions of public toilets.

Designed by Shigeru Ban Architects, a Pritzker Prize-winning architecture firm, the two new sets of transparent toilets have been installed in two Shibuya parks -- Yoyogi Fukamachi Mini Park and Haru-no-Ogawa Community Park.

Shigeru Ban Architects' design tackles these two concerns by offering a toilet with glass walls that -- at first -- allows the public to see through from the outside. But once a user enters the toilet and locks the door, the walls turn opaque to provide privacy.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/tokyo-toilet-project-transparent-toilets/index.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Taun said:

My first thought was: "Why?"

Then I thought: "How?"

Now I'm back to "Why?". 

I'd rather pee in a public urinal in Hamburg. :unsure2:

• Like 3

I`ve heard a rumour that these units have a coin slot outside. If you insert a coin, a window sized part of the wall will become transparent for 5 minutes (400Yen=Peep-A-Pee, 600Yen=Peep-A-Poo and 900Yen=Peep-It-All). :lol:

• Haha 4

I have absolutely no doubt that I wouldn’t ever risk using one of these! :no:

Yers ago I seem to remember a new office block being built with the toilets having external glass walls, see through from the inside, opaque from the outside, but they were put in back to front, so loo occupants thought the wall was opaque from their vantage point but were on display to those outside.  No idea if this was a true story but the mind boggles. :cry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's for invisible people...

~

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, toast said:

I`ve heard a rumour that these units have a coin slot outside. If you insert a coin, a window sized part of the wall will become transparent for 5 minutes (400Yen=Peep-A-Pee, 600Yen=Peep-A-Poo and 900Yen=Peep-It-All). :lol:

Geezus!!!!  Friggin Germans!!!!  :rolleyes:

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Piney said:

Geezus!!!!  Friggin Germans!!!!  :rolleyes:

Always at your service!!! :lol:

• Haha 4

A few years ago I visited a public toilet in Aalborg Denmark , someone coughed behind me and when I looked around there was a lady sitting on a loo with the window broken in the door, she smiled and I fled .I didn't realise that the loo's in Denmark were for both sexes .

• Haha 5

Man just wait until the birds start slamming into this thing when you're trying to take a ****.

On 8/18/2020 at 1:33 PM, spud the mackem said:

A few years ago I visited a public toilet in Aalborg Denmark , someone coughed behind me and when I looked around there was a lady sitting on a loo with the window broken in the door, she smiled and I fled .I didn't realise that the loo's in Denmark were for both sexes .

what about the rest, the other 55 genders? 

Edited by aztek