Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Oumuamua: not a hydrogen iceberg after all ?

UM-Bot

I desperately wanted 'Oumuamua to be an alien craft. It's really unlikely and we'll never know now, though. I do hope we've prepared our observational instruments to be more on top of things when/if something like that comes through our neighborhood again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DanL said:

Made me think of Rama from Author C. Clark's Rendevous with Rama.

I so loved that story.  I have always wondered why they haven’t tried making a film of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Seti42 said:

I desperately wanted 'Oumuamua to be an alien craft. It's really unlikely and we'll never know now, though. I do hope we've prepared our observational instruments to be more on top of things when/if something like that comes through our neighborhood again.

apparently we still have time to send a craft and catch up with Oumuamua, you'd think some agency would knock up a cheap craft with basic camera etc and chase it down.

8 hours ago, stevewinn said:

apparently we still have time to send a craft and catch up with Oumuamua, you'd think some agency would knock up a cheap craft with basic camera etc and chase it down.

No we don't.

It's travelling much too fast to catch. No rocket ever built, or in the planning stage, is powerful enough. 

'Oumuamua has a velocity of 26.33 km/s. The fastest spacecraft ever launched, New Horizons, has a velocity of 16.26 km/s. 

'Oumuamua also has a head start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

No we don't.

It's travelling much too fast to catch. No rocket ever built, or in the planning stage, is powerful enough. 

'Oumuamua has a velocity of 26.33 km/s. The fastest spacecraft ever launched, New Horizons, has a velocity of 16.26 km/s. 

'Oumuamua also has a head start.

Not what de grasse Tyson said. Feasible. We'd be able to catch it around 2050. 

7 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Care to provide a quote or a link?

7 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Further research brings up Project Lyra, from the Initiative for Interstellar Studies, which looked at catching 'Oumuamua using current or near term technology. They have several suggestions, mostly using technology that has not been tried yet, including laser sail technology. 

The solution which uses least exotic technology would need to launch in 2021... so that's not going to happen. 

This was a feasibility study and shows that the technology could be developed to intercept an interstellar object, but such technology is not currently available. 

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Care to provide a quote or a link?

It was on one of his startalk programmes on Youtube, which one god knows i've watched so many of them over the last three years. but the subject was brought up. - his sidekick and co presenter Chuck, asked Neil about catching it, referencing a proposal. speed was not an issue as we'd sling shot around certain planets to get that gravitational kick. Chuck asked if we can get such a gravitational kick and reach such speeds then why dont we use the same method when exploring our own solar system, to which Neil answered because you'd need to carry more propellent to slow you down as you near your target. and that increases weight and cost.

anyway it would seem you've googled yourself, and found that it is feasible to catch Oumuamua, so its not out of reach till 2030's. when the launch window closes.

• Like 1

Well this object has shown how not ready we are to intercept or to see at least alien interstellar objects. We continue guessing and thats all. Maybe In a few hundred years will be able to tell