Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The British spy found dead in a gym bag

Eldorado

"It is ten years this week that British spy Gareth Williams was found dead in a locked holdall in the bathroom of a secret service flat.

"But the codebreaker’s death is still shrouded in mystery.

"Some say it was a solo sex game gone wrong. Others think he was murdered by Russians to protect a British security services mole.

"Here we look at the questions that still surround one of the most ­intriguing cases of modern times."

Full monty at the UK Mirror: Link

Death of Gareth Williams: Wikipedia

• Like 4

Yeah, I remember this.

Let's face it..... you get agents, double agents, triple agents, and they are killing each other all the time.

Closing an embassy or consulate hardly makes any difference to foreign activity. The spies are always the ones you least suspect, like old Arthur who spends most of his time lying on the floor of the Red Lion in a puddle of his own urine.

• Haha 2

I'd think it was an accident, except that I question his intention...

I guess at this point, I'll play M.E. and rule manner as undetermined.

• 5 months later...

It was over 10 years ago that the body of an MI6 agent was discovered in a locked holdall bag in his central London flat, but fresh DNA studies could solve the case, according to a former police chief.

MI6 analyst Gareth Williams was named the "spy in the bag" after his decomposing body was discovered in a North Face bag in the bath in his flat in Pimlico, reports the Mirror.

Full report at My London: Link

The thing that I remember about this case was that at one point the powers-that-be insisted that he had put himself inside the bag . . . . . . . and locked it!!!! How did he lock it from the inside, for gawd's sake?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The death of an MI6 agent whose naked body was found inside a locked holdall at his London flat is to be reviewed.

Metropolitan Police investigators said new information about Gareth Williams, who died in 2010, had come to light.

BBC report

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 5:55 AM, Eldorado said:

The death of an MI6 agent whose naked body was found inside a locked holdall at his London flat is to be reviewed.

Metropolitan Police investigators said new information about Gareth Williams, who died in 2010, had come to light.

BBC report

Well, either someone’s getting framed or somewhere there’s an assassin absolutely panicking. 

• Like 1

SMERSH.

On 2/9/2021 at 11:09 AM, ouija ouija said:

The thing that I remember about this case was that at one point the powers-that-be insisted that he had put himself inside the bag . . . . . . . and locked it!!!! How did he lock it from the inside, for gawd's sake?

If it was  suicide, it was a very curious way of doing it, not to say elaborate.

And it doesn't seem sexual, like auto-asphyxiation. Drugged and then stuffed in the bag, I would say. But what do I know, not much.