Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Viking sword found in grave in central Norway

Still Waters

I've traced my lineage on my Father's side extensively back to the early 1400's in Trøndelag Norway.

Maybe I should put in a claim... :rofl:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

I've traced my lineage on my Father's side extensively back to the early 1400's in Trøndelag Norway.

Maybe I should put in a claim... :rofl:

You wouldn't happen to be partially, or fully immune to opioids? I am about 70 % immune. My brothers also to a degree. All those years of being accused of being an addict til this study came out.

https://partner.sciencenorway.no/forskningno-norway-ntnu/genetic-defect-makes-some-nearly-immune-to-morphine/1436463

There's an Island in Norway that that my father's ancesters lived on and was named for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Still Waters said:

During the Viking Age—probably sometime in the 800s-900s—a man died in the village we call Vinjeøra today, south of Trøndelag county. He was buried with a full set of weapons: ax, spear, shield and sword.

Some 1,100 years later, archeologist Astrid Kviseth bends over his grave and painstakingly cleans his sword. Soon she will pick it up from the ground and become the first person to hold it in her hands since Viking times.

We'll come back to that in a moment.

First we need to talk more about the man who once owned this sword.

https://phys.org/news/2020-08-viking-sword-grave-central-norway.html

Quite interesting but sad at the same time... can we left the dead in peace ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Quite interesting but sad at the same time... can we left the dead in peace ?

Legalized grave robbing. I wonder if that dead Viking, and his sword is going to be the next exhibition at the local museum. <_< 

No rest for the long dead, I guess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

You wouldn't happen to be partially, or fully immune to opioids? I am about 70 % immune. My brothers also to a degree. All those years of being accused of being an addict til this study came out.

https://partner.sciencenorway.no/forskningno-norway-ntnu/genetic-defect-makes-some-nearly-immune-to-morphine/1436463

There's an Island in Norway that that my father's ancesters lived on and was named for.

How perfectly odd!

Two years ago while i lay in hospital in writhing agony with a split colon and a case of life threatening septic blood poisoning... they gave me morphine when I first arrived and I kept asking if they were going to give me something, anything for the pain.  It just never even dented the pain.

They at first thought I was just in shock, but then it became apparent as time wore agonizingly on... that I wasn't ghosting, or hoping for more drugs... I was simply still writhing in agony.

I've always been resistent to pain reliever pharmaceuticals and many other medicines.  It's one reason I've never developed a habit of reaching for pills.  They so seldom work.  And it always takes some pressure and convincing for Dr's that if they want a desired effect in my body, it will require at least 50% if not double and higher doses than another person my size and more frequently administered. 

My body simply doesn't respond as others do and burns through what effects do come through quickly.

This was driven home in my psychedelic days.  I was invariably the known babysitter who could talk others out of a bad trip, as I was constantly taking off later and coming down sober before others and never getting as far off the ground as others.. unless I went in for heroic doses

Thanks for sharing that mate... that's quite intriguing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quiXilver said:

How perfectly odd!

Two years ago while i lay in hospital in writhing agony with a split colon and a case of life threatening septic blood poisoning... they gave me morphine when I first arrived and I kept asking if they were going to give me something, anything for the pain.  It just never even dented the pain.

They at first thought I was just in shock, but then it became apparent as time wore agonizingly on... that I wasn't ghosting, or hoping for more drugs... I was simply still writhing in agony.

I've always been resistent to pain reliever pharmaceuticals and many other medicines.  It's one reason I've never developed a habit of reaching for pills.  They so seldom work.  And it always takes some pressure and convincing for Dr's that if they want a desired effect in my body, it will require at least 50% if not double and higher doses than another person my size and more frequently administered. 

My body simply doesn't respond as others do and burns through what effects do come through quickly.

This was driven home in my psychedelic days.  I was invariably the known babysitter who could talk others out of a bad trip, as I was constantly taking off later and coming down sober before others and never getting as far off the ground as others.. unless I went in for heroic doses

Thanks for sharing that mate... that's quite intriguing.

I handed my Doctor that link to read. He made a few phone calls to some colleagues in Norway, took some of my blood, sent it to them, then updated my medical file to give triple the normal dose of morphine. More, if needed. You're quite welcome for the info.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1

Sounds like you have a good Dr @Hankenhunter.  It can often be challenging getting Dr's to pay attention to what 'normal's say in my experience.

Incidentally, what island in Norway?  I'm curious.