Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lucid dreaming

Chronus

Hey, I wantes to ask if anyone has lucid dreamed here, and how did you do it.

I have wanted to lucid dream before but never could. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Edited by Chronus
Wanted* sorry typo
  • Like 2

Let me say up front: I don’t recommend it for entertainment. I’m no expert, but I think lucid dreaming could very easily turn into a mental health issue. Any behavior that becomes an escape from reality will lead to an unhealthy avoidance of reality, and will damage your ability to problem-solve.

I’ve used lucid dreaming on two occasions, both of which were out of necessity. The first time was during my very painful divorce (aren’t they all?). I had a recurring dream that my wife and I were still together and madly in love. Then I’d wake up and realize that no, we weren’t together anymore, and my life was still miserable. It was an emotionally crushing way to start the day.

I learned the process needed for lucid dreaming, and the next time when the dream began I became conscious within the dream, and I specifically told myself that my wife and I weren’t together anymore and never would be. Thankfully, the recurring dreams stopped immediately, and my mornings were much less traumatic.

After my father passed away, I had recurring dreams that he was still alive and we were talking together just like old times. Eventually I had to do the lucid dreaming trick again to stop the recurring dreams. They were just too emotionally draining.

After my time of grieving ended, it was once again okay to dream about my marriage and my father. Upon waking up, I feel as though I’m simply revisiting the happy times and the good memories.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

What is 'lucid dreaming'?  :unsure:

I think your able to control yourself while dreaming. Not 100% sure

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, simplybill said:

Let me say up front: I don’t recommend it for entertainment. I’m no expert, but I think lucid dreaming could very easily turn into a mental health issue. Any behavior that becomes an escape from reality will lead to an unhealthy avoidance of reality, and will damage your ability to problem-solve.

I’ve used lucid dreaming on two occasions, both of which were out of necessity. The first time was during my very painful divorce (aren’t they all?). I had a recurring dream that my wife and I were still together and madly in love. Then I’d wake up and realize that no, we weren’t together anymore, and my life was still miserable. It was an emotionally crushing way to start the day.

I learned the process needed for lucid dreaming, and the next time when the dream began I became conscious within the dream, and I specifically told myself that my wife and I weren’t together anymore and never would be. Thankfully, the recurring dreams stopped immediately, and my mornings were much less traumatic.

After my father passed away, I had recurring dreams that he was still alive and we were talking together just like old times. Eventually I had to do the lucid dreaming trick again to stop the recurring dreams. They were just too emotionally draining.

After my time of grieving ended, it was once again okay to dream about my marriage and my father. Upon waking up, I feel as though I’m simply revisiting the happy times and the good memories.

Sorry for your loss

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chronus said:

Sorry for your loss

Thank you, Chronus! That’s very kind of you.

I've been going lucid in my dreams since early childhood (my first one occured when I was 3 years old and it led to my first OBE). 

It's never something I 'tried to do', it just happens of itself in my case.  I suspect it was induced by extreme nightmares as a defense mechanism, but don't know how or why... I just usually become aware that a dream is a dream right as they begin, or very briefly into them.  I don't have nightmares any longer, haven't since early childhood.

The depth and breadth of the lucidity moves in cycles for me.  There are periods where I'll experience complete lucidity, like God Mode in a video game, with full control over all aspects of the dream... the dreamscape/setting, the other dream creature's actions and words, what's occuring, able to alter the 'laws of physics' within the world setting (take away gravity, induce black holes, etc) all with full awareness.

Other times, there's just the basic awareness that i'm participating in a dream, but the dream plays out on its own and I am just like an observer 'along for the ride' without influencing anything.  In these dreams the only influence I can exert is to end them when I choose, but the content of the dream is somehow immune from my interference.  Like I'm watching it through a pane of glass so to speak.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quiXilver said:

I've been going lucid in my dreams since early childhood (my first one occured when I was 3 years old and it led to my first OBE). 

It's never something I 'tried to do', it just happens of itself in my case.  I suspect it was induced by extreme nightmares as a defense mechanism, but don't know how or why... I just usually become aware that a dream is a dream right as they begin, or very briefly into them.  I don't have nightmares any longer, haven't since early childhood.

The depth and breadth of the lucidity moves in cycles for me.  There are periods where I'll experience complete lucidity, like God Mode in a video game, with full control over all aspects of the dream... the dreamscape/setting, the other dream creature's actions and words, what's occuring, able to alter the 'laws of physics' within the world setting (take away gravity, induce black holes, etc) all with full awareness.

Other times, there's just the basic awareness that i'm participating in a dream, but the dream plays out on its own and I am just like an observer 'along for the ride' without influencing anything.  In these dreams the only influence I can exert is to end them when I choose, but the content of the dream is somehow immune from my interference.  Like I'm watching it through a pane of glass so to speak.

That black hole thing sounds amazing

The only limits are imagination.

I used to think my imagination was unlimited. 

Now, after 48 years of experiencing this (I'm 51 now)... I can say the real work for me in expanding my lucid experiences... lay in exploring my social and familial conditioning.  These conditioning processes were the foremost inhibitor of 'complete unfettered imagination' as I began to, and continue to explore.

Meditation, Qi Gong, Nei Gong and Enthogenic partnerships were instrumental in dismantling, and releasing conditioned responses and in dissolving assumptions.  This in turn opened up avenues of imagination that were, previous to this... inconceivable to me.

Edited by quiXilver
spelled inconceivable incorrectly the first time...

6 hours ago, Chronus said:

I have wanted to lucid dream before but never could. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I have done it but can't do it regularly. For me, being aware during a dream that it is only a dream makes me able to do anything I can think to do. It's really fun and it's a richer feeling experience than imagining. It's really close to waking reality richness if not more.

13 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I have done it but can't do it regularly. For me, being aware during a dream that it is only a dream makes me able to do anything I can think to do. It's really fun and it's a richer feeling experience than imagining. It's really close to waking reality richness if not more.

My sister says she lucid dreams like every night.

12 minutes ago, Chronus said:

My sister says she lucid dreams like every night.

Is it like what I said?

12 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Is it like what I said?

She never really explained it, she says she flys though

1 minute ago, Chronus said:

She never really explained it, she says she flys though

I wonder if it could be astral projection?

7 hours ago, Chronus said:

Have you ever had a very vivid and almost realistic dream?

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Have you ever had a very vivid and almost realistic dream?

I've had dreams that I remember pretty well. Mainly nightmares or just really really weird dreams.

12 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I wonder if it could be astral projection?

I don't know if I really like that idea, I doubt it is though.

Just now, Chronus said:

I've had dreams that I remember pretty well. Mainly nightmares or just really really weird dreams.

Did they feel realistic is what I'm asking you.

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Did they feel realistic is what I'm asking you.

Uh I mean, not really for two reasons.

1. It's a dream so it won't seem/feel realistic

2. It just felt like a dream.

Just now, Chronus said:

Uh I mean, not really for two reasons.

1. It's a dream so it won't seem/feel realistic

2. It just felt like a dream.

I doubt you'll ever lucid dream. 

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

Same here papa,i can only do it if I'm aware that it's a dream.

Apart from the usual flying around, I've had a few weird things happen.once when i was a young kid i decided to float around the house but i just floated straight up and got stuck on the ceiling.

I can only control what happens for a short period of the dream as well,more practice needed i think.

37 minutes ago, diddyman68 said:

Apart from the usual flying around, I've had a few weird things happen.once when i was a young kid i decided to float around the house but i just floated straight up and got stuck on the ceiling.

I can only control what happens for a short period of the dream as well,more practice needed i think.

That might've been Astral Projection if I understand it correctly.

1 hour ago, diddyman68 said:

That raises an interesting question. Mine was just a dream I could control like lucid dreaming. A dream I think of as just thoughts going around in our mental world.

Astral projection is  after our astral body separates from our physical body in sleep we can move around the real world environment invisibly in our astral body. It's like we move our conscious focus to our astral body. When you talk about things like getting stuck on the ceiling I think 'astral projection' and not 'lucid dreaming'.

I suspect (no certainties) based mostly on recall of my own experiences but also combined with what I've read over the decades in literature on it, that they are associatively reflective states... that the lucid dream state and the astral projection state share many aspects. 

A possible analogy being blue and indigo light in the visible spectrum.  They are similar in many ways in resonance and frequency, yet distinct.

For that matter, the 'waking state' shares many aspects of the dream state.  In many meditative school lineages, lucid dream work is central to preparing for the state right after disembodiment in death.  The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche is particularlyuseful manual in my experience.  It stems from a powerful lineage that has documented centuries of extensive work and exploration in out of body and in dream states.  It is both practical and theoretical.  Those interested in producing more lucidity in the dream states may want to check it out.

Indeed for Tibetans of this school (and two of the Taoist lineages I've worked extensively with), the waking state is considered another dream state, just one we share with all the other dreamers, in which our individual insertions into the dynamic are proportionately decreased in coordination with the number of co-participants in the dream. 

This is why when you have a small idea in the dream state, your entire world experience shifts instantaneously, the dreamscape is a mental vibration which needs not time to shift and the dream state responds to only one awareness so change is instant; wheras in the shared waking dream state, the dynamic is slowed way down due to the inherently slow vibrational state of 'matter' combined with the cross cancelling out influences of the many minds participating.

I've had several 'awakenings' in normal everyday waking life where awareness 'comes online into full body presence' where a moment before, I was 'disconnected' 'awol' 'hypnotized', 'tranced out'.

Most folks walk about in an induced and sustained trance state their entire life... it's ironic that this is traditionally referred to as 'conscious reality'. 

Zen masters were famously reknown for their random and often outlandish antics, often humorous sometimes bordering on the violent, that they used to repeatedly shock their students out of the chronic mental trance of 'waking life'

Ever notice how we don't have memories of our birth and entry into the 'real world'?

We don't start forming memories until we're a few years into life?

It's very similar in dreaming lucidity, almost identical.  The dream begins and is ongoing, when we become aware of it.  This similarity is not lost among the Oneironauts of the various schools of dedicated folks exploring this stuff.

I have in the last few years, been experiencing what I call 'The Grey Zone'.  It's a state between sleep and waking... where the body is asleep (sometimes snoring softly) and the awareness is present and cognizent.  in this state, if mind remains empty and calm, the body begins to buzz slightly and pleasantly, and then as i release into this... dreams will begin and I'll experience them lucidly from the beginning of the dream. 

This is quite new for me and has an unexpected revelation to it.  When my dreams begin... they can begin in the middle of a scenario with an entire conceptual backstory already in place in awareness.

Anyway... enough rambling.

Yea.  I've always felt that astral travel and lucid dreaming share many aspects... like dreaming is an astral process but in an individual setting, whereas astral travel above  that, reaches out into 'public domains'.

Edited by quiXilver
  • Like 1