Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New 50-metre deep 'crater' opens up in Arctic

Still Waters

The recently-formed new hole or funnel is the latest to be seen in northern Siberia since the phenomenon was first registered in 2014. 

It was initially spotted by chance from the air by a Vesti Yamal TV crew en route from an unrelated assignment. 

A group of scientists then made an expedition to examine the large cylindrical crater which has a depth of up to 50 metres.

Such funnels are believed to be caused by the build up of methane gas in pockets of thawing permafrost under the surface.

https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/giant-new-50-metre-deep-crater-opens-up-in-arctic-tundra/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Is it just me, or does the debris field around the crater seem like theres not enough to fill in the hole?

• Confused 1

Huge hole opens up in arctic. 

Scientists are looking into it ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Is it just me, or does the debris field around the crater seem like theres not enough to fill in the hole?

If the gaz push it out i think it would be more visible, or maybe it just push and colapse when the gaz go out ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

If the gaz push it out i think it would be more visible, or maybe it just push and colapse when the gaz go out ?

Not sure. If expect a bigger rim of debris, but maybe the soil in the hole walls was compacted?

It would be cool of they could get one of these eruptions on video.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dave willis said:

Do sink holes have debris fields?

They dont think its a sink hole, where water took the soil, but a gas powered eruption throwing everything out of the hole.