Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gigantic snapping turtles caught in Florida

UM-Bot

I’m hoping that these ancient Giants are not being killed.? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Holy **** they look like dragons with shells!!!

They look flipping awesome!! :D

Fun fact: There are Dragon Turtles in D&D, and they are basically just giant snapping turtles with the ability to breathe scalding steam instead of fire.

636252771128151641.jpg

• Like 1

Though alligator snappers are bigger. There smaller cousin is more dangerous

because it has a longer neck and can flex it around to bite.

snapper.jpg

• Haha 3

I saw my first one in a creek by my great aunts house in Missouri. Could have sworn that two foot plus rock wasn't there the day before, then it started moving. Found a little baby not too far away. 

• Like 2

Wow that is one ugly face. And look at that mouth it looks like it could take a hand off!

I recall my dad talking about the great flood of 1927 or 28, along the Ochuita River in Hot Springs,. There is abook about this flood because it involved the Mighty Mississippi and other rivers. Only way you could get into or out of Hot Springs was over the railroad track. People went down by the river to watch debrey he saw trees floating by, with alligator snapping turtles as big around as a wash tub. floating down stream on these trees.They must have been two feet or so. Recall driving out by Ottine and Palmetto State park. Well on the farm to market road, don't recall how many miles from Ottine, we saw a snapping turtle cross the road.It was moving into this creek. No one was on the road, so my dad, sister and i watched this thing. Finally when it cleared the road, we drove on and went to Gonzales where we had lunch. That's where the first shot in the Texas Revolution was fired.