Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
acute

Question about Casting Video to TV

59 posts in this topic

acute

I'm pretty clueless about Casting, because I've never done it before, so any help would be appreciated. I don't even know if it's possible!

Anyway, here's what I've got:

An Android phone with a Cast feature.

A non-Smart TV with HDMI ports, RGB inputs, phono, etc.

No WiFi.  Mobile data only.

Any ideas?

zep73

AFAIK you need a device that can pick up the WiFi signal and show the content on the TV. Chromecast can do that, but it's gonna cost you about 30£. Good luck.

• Like 1

acute
2 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Good luck.

Thanks. :tu:

Like I said..... I don't have WiFi.

zep73
Just now, acute said:

Thanks. :tu:

Like I said..... I don't have WiFi.

Well, your phone does, and that should be enough (AFAIK)...

seanjo
47 minutes ago, acute said:

I'm pretty clueless about Casting, because I've never done it before, so any help would be appreciated. I don't even know if it's possible!

Anyway, here's what I've got:

An Android phone with a Cast feature.

A non-Smart TV with HDMI ports, RGB inputs, phono, etc.

No WiFi.  Mobile data only.

Any ideas?

You can't cast but you could get a cable to connect to the phone port and the TV HDMI port and get a picture that way.

• Like 1

seanjo
23 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Well, your phone does, and that should be enough (AFAIK)...

If the TV has wi-fi...

• Like 1

zep73
1 minute ago, seanjo said:

If the TV has wi-fi...

The Chromecast does, so the TV doesn't need to.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

acute
1 minute ago, seanjo said:

You can't cast but you could get a cable to connect to the phone port and the TV HDMI port and get a picture that way.

Would that be USB-C to HDMI?

Then what would I do?

(When I press the Cast button, it searches for devices, but doesn't find any.  No surprise there!)

seanjo
5 minutes ago, acute said:

Would that be USB-C to HDMI?

Then what would I do?

(When I press the Cast button, it searches for devices, but doesn't find any.  No surprise there!)

If your phone port is USB-C then yes. If your TV doesn't have Bluetooth or Wi-Fi it can't be connected to wirelessly. Chromecast is a good option if you have the money.

acute
3 minutes ago, seanjo said:

If your phone port is USB-C then yes. If your TV doesn't have Bluetooth or Wi-Fi it can't be connected to wirelessly. Chromecast is a good option if you have the money.

From what I've read, Chromecast requires WiFi, doesn't it?

Casting using a cable seems to defeat the object slightly!

• Like 1

zep73
2 minutes ago, acute said:

From what I've read, Chromecast requires WiFi, doesn't it?

Modern smartphones has share options, where they can act as a provider of internet and WiFi, which are the only two things that Chromecast requires.

I had a friend who used his mobile internet on his laptop, because it was cheaper than a landline internet connection. He used only the built-in WiFi in both to connect.

acute
7 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Modern smartphones has share options, where they can act as a provider of internet and WiFi, which are the only two things that Chromecast requires.

You mean Tethering?

So, all I need to do is tether Chromecast to my phone? Really?

(Excuse me while I bang my head on the wall)

zep73
1 minute ago, acute said:

You mean Tethering?

So, all I need to do is tether Chromecast to my phone? Really?

(Excuse me while I bang my head on the wall)

Wireless tethering. Yes.

If you go buy a Chromecast, ask in the shop if a smartphone is enough to make it work.

acute

I will find a way to get that question answered.

ChrLzs

I'm pretty sure the Chromecast won't tether to your phone *except* thru wifi - you just need to turn on the Wifi Hotspot on your phone, and if the Chromecast is running it will 'see' your phone and then can piggyback on your connection.

It's what I do at home, and thoroughly recommend it.  The 4G connection I have on my (quite low-end) smartphone is obviously adequate for casting in full HD, and it works really well.  I have shelled out for a Youtube premium account, and like the end result...

• Like 3

zep73
23 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

I'm pretty sure the Chromecast won't tether to your phone *except* thru wifi - you just need to turn on the Wifi Hotspot on your phone, and if the Chromecast is running it will 'see' your phone and then can piggyback on your connection.

It's what I do at home, and thoroughly recommend it.  The 4G connection I have on my (quite low-end) smartphone is obviously adequate for casting in full HD, and it works really well.  I have shelled out for a Youtube premium account, and like the end result...

My sister also used to do that (phone -> Chromecast -> TV), but I never asked if she had a regular internet connection.

acute
Posted (edited)

This sounds promising, but everything I've read about Chromecast says you need WiFi, with your phone and Chromecast using the same network.

:blink:

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

jamesjr191

Roku stick works really well also

zep73
6 minutes ago, acute said:

This sounds promising, but everything I've read about Chromecast says you need WiFi, with your phone and Chromecast using the same network.

Yes, but a modern smartphone is so genius that it's a modem, a router and a computer all-in-one. It is it's own network.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

acute
1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

It's what I do at home, and thoroughly recommend it.  The 4G connection I have on my (quite low-end) smartphone is obviously adequate for casting in full HD, and it works really well. 

That's that, then!

There are lots of 'fake' Chromecast devices on Amazon. Half the price, but good reviews.  I presume they all do the same thing.

Girl-in-the-Corner

I've got a chrome cast thingy and I managed to set it up but don't ask me how, it was a ballache. 

• Haha 2

seanjo
5 hours ago, acute said:

:blink:

Do you have a router?

acute
6 hours ago, seanjo said:

Do you have a router?

No.

seanjo
57 minutes ago, acute said:

No.

So all done using Data? A cable will be cheaper if you are going to do a lot of streaming.

acute
24 minutes ago, seanjo said:

So all done using Data? A cable will be cheaper if you are going to do a lot of streaming.

I get a huge amount of mobile data at a great price. More than I could ever use, in fact.