Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question about Casting Video to TV

acute

I'm pretty clueless about Casting, because I've never done it before, so any help would be appreciated. I don't even know if it's possible!

Anyway, here's what I've got:

An Android phone with a Cast feature.

A non-Smart TV with HDMI ports, RGB inputs, phono, etc.

No WiFi.  Mobile data only.

Any ideas?

AFAIK you need a device that can pick up the WiFi signal and show the content on the TV. Chromecast can do that, but it's gonna cost you about 30£. Good luck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Good luck.

Thanks. :tu:

Like I said..... I don't have WiFi.

Just now, acute said:

Thanks. :tu:

Like I said..... I don't have WiFi.

Well, your phone does, and that should be enough (AFAIK)...

1 minute ago, seanjo said:

If the TV has wi-fi...

The Chromecast does, so the TV doesn't need to.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, seanjo said:

You can't cast but you could get a cable to connect to the phone port and the TV HDMI port and get a picture that way.

Would that be USB-C to HDMI?

Then what would I do?

(When I press the Cast button, it searches for devices, but doesn't find any.  No surprise there!)

3 minutes ago, seanjo said:

If your phone port is USB-C then yes. If your TV doesn't have Bluetooth or Wi-Fi it can't be connected to wirelessly. Chromecast is a good option if you have the money.

From what I've read, Chromecast requires WiFi, doesn't it?

Casting using a cable seems to defeat the object slightly!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, acute said:

From what I've read, Chromecast requires WiFi, doesn't it?

Modern smartphones has share options, where they can act as a provider of internet and WiFi, which are the only two things that Chromecast requires.

I had a friend who used his mobile internet on his laptop, because it was cheaper than a landline internet connection. He used only the built-in WiFi in both to connect.

7 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Modern smartphones has share options, where they can act as a provider of internet and WiFi, which are the only two things that Chromecast requires.

You mean Tethering?

So, all I need to do is tether Chromecast to my phone? Really?

(Excuse me while I bang my head on the wall)

1 minute ago, acute said:

You mean Tethering?

So, all I need to do is tether Chromecast to my phone? Really?

(Excuse me while I bang my head on the wall)

Wireless tethering. Yes.

If you go buy a Chromecast, ask in the shop if a smartphone is enough to make it work.

I'm pretty sure the Chromecast won't tether to your phone *except* thru wifi - you just need to turn on the Wifi Hotspot on your phone, and if the Chromecast is running it will 'see' your phone and then can piggyback on your connection.

It's what I do at home, and thoroughly recommend it.  The 4G connection I have on my (quite low-end) smartphone is obviously adequate for casting in full HD, and it works really well.  I have shelled out for a Youtube premium account, and like the end result...

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

I'm pretty sure the Chromecast won't tether to your phone *except* thru wifi - you just need to turn on the Wifi Hotspot on your phone, and if the Chromecast is running it will 'see' your phone and then can piggyback on your connection.

It's what I do at home, and thoroughly recommend it.  The 4G connection I have on my (quite low-end) smartphone is obviously adequate for casting in full HD, and it works really well.  I have shelled out for a Youtube premium account, and like the end result...

My sister also used to do that (phone -> Chromecast -> TV), but I never asked if she had a regular internet connection.

This sounds promising, but everything I've read about Chromecast says you need WiFi, with your phone and Chromecast using the same network.

:blink:

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, acute said:

This sounds promising, but everything I've read about Chromecast says you need WiFi, with your phone and Chromecast using the same network.

Yes, but a modern smartphone is so genius that it's a modem, a router and a computer all-in-one. It is it's own network.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

It's what I do at home, and thoroughly recommend it.  The 4G connection I have on my (quite low-end) smartphone is obviously adequate for casting in full HD, and it works really well. 

That's that, then!

There are lots of 'fake' Chromecast devices on Amazon. Half the price, but good reviews.  I presume they all do the same thing.

24 minutes ago, seanjo said:

So all done using Data? A cable will be cheaper if you are going to do a lot of streaming.

I get a huge amount of mobile data at a great price. More than I could ever use, in fact.

3 hours ago, acute said:

The internet seems to be split on whether I can or can't do Casting using my Android phone and a Chromecast device.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/1682136?hl=en

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/1217345?hl=en

If you have tonnes of data, it is worth trying.   Chromecast is around $40.  The whole issue is your device.  What device do you have?  What are the processors?

7 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

If you have tonnes of data, it is worth trying.   Chromecast is around $40.  The whole issue is your device.  What device do you have?  What are the processors?

I use a fairly new Android phone, so it should be ok.

The issue is..... Can my phone be the device connecting to the Chromecast and act as the connecting router at the same time?

Edited by acute

Just now, acute said:

I use a fairly new Android phone, so it should be ok.

The issue is..... Can my phone be the device connecting to the Chromecast and act as the connecting router at the same time.

Well, that's why i asked what you have.  I sell cell phones for a living.  I get people saying they have a newer cell phone when in reality it is a three year old device :D.  The newer, within the last year, have stronger processors which can handle multiple actions at the same time.  But, you also need to know the output of the wifi hotspot.  Some devices will shut down the Hotspot if it is drawing too much data, which can be changed in settings on most devices.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Some devices will shut down the Hotspot if it is drawing too much data,

I used to tether my laptop to this phone (until it broke a few months back :angry:) and I never had my hotspot shut down.

15 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

But, you also need to know the output of the wifi hotspot.

Where would I find that info?

All I've come up with so far is software not hardware:

Screenshot_20200901-172518.png.9b9905fa1de05d94e0befba4fa77761f.png

Edited by acute
  • Like 1