Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question about Casting Video to TV

acute

If it was able to support your laptop, it will support a chromecast.  Were you watching streaming or surfing?  Streaming takes way more power and more data than surfing.   Being it is an LG, keep a watch on your battery consumption.  The LGs have been known for weaker batteries for prolonged use.  Don't use the phone and have it charging, this can cause batteries to swell.

Personally, I love Chromecast.  It is easy to use and enables you to turn your TV into a smart TV.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Were you watching streaming or surfing? 

Mainly surfing, with the occasional half hour of YouTube.

Edit:

I just remembered, I watched the Spacex launch for about 2 hours.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, acute said:

Mainly surfing, with the occasional half hour of YouTube.

So, streaming will put more stress on your phone's processors.  Don't do it for prolonged times and it should be fine

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, acute said:

@glorybebe

Sorry.....

Just one more question, please. :D

How is the Chromecast powered?

It comes with a power cord, so it will need to be plugged in

• Thanks 1

Well..... That's it!  No going back.

I bought a Chromecast 2 for £28 ($38) from a reputable chain.

For anyone thinking of doing similar.....

There are a lot of unofficial Chromecasts out there, and the reviewers say they are useless.

Edited by acute
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, acute said:

Well..... That's it!  No going back.

I bought a Chromecast 2 for £28 ($38) from a reputable chain.

For anyone thinking of doing similar.....

There are a lot of unofficial Chromecasts out there, and the reviewers say they are useless.

Chromecast has agreements with the companies it streams, the knock offs don't, so hit or miss whether they work

• Like 1

There are loads of cheap copies available on Amazon, eBay, and elsewhere, but I would never buy anything but the genuine article.

I will sometimes trust the Chinese to make a PSU, charger, or adapter, but not something this complicated and so cheap.

• Thanks 1

My Google Chromecast has arrived, and it's half the size I was expecting. I'll be surprised if it works, because I think it's empty! :lol:

Now I've felt the weight of it, I can understand why most people are happy to dangle the dongle from their HDMI socket.

(I have a few things I need to do before I can try it out, but I'm looking forward to it)

4 hours ago, acute said:

My Google Chromecast has arrived, and it's half the size I was expecting. I'll be surprised if it works, because I think it's empty! :lol:

Now I've felt the weight of it, I can understand why most people are happy to dangle the dongle from their HDMI socket.

(I have a few things I need to do before I can try it out, but I'm looking forward to it)

:) Yep...  Exactly my thoughts, and mine does just dangle invisibly behind the TV...  But of all the accessories I have, it gets by far the most use.  I have quite a few hobbies and interests (eg space, fast (or any) cars, the US political trainwreck, the best comedians (eg Tim Minchin), old TV series (eg the Two Ronnies, even Morecambe and Wise), boxing /UFC and a whole pile of other stuff that I can idly browse thru on Youtube Premium.  Where possible it displays in HD and the quality is generally excellent, and the whole experience is so much better than lookin' at a tiny phone (even tho you have to do that to actually select the stuff).

Good luck with the install - let us know if you have any difficulties..

7 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

old TV series (eg the Two Ronnies, even Morecambe and Wise)

I forgot you were in Oz!  That explains your good taste in vintage comedy. :yes:

As I've found out, it's sometimes possible to prevent the 'dongle dangle' by using the built-in magnet, but one of my HDMI sockets is at the very bottom left of my TV, so I'm hoping the Chromecast will sit flat.

13 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Good luck with the install - let us know if you have any difficulties..

Thanks!

If it doesn't work, I will be pestering everyone I can get hold of. :D

• Like 1

@ChrLzs

Can I ask you a question, please?

When you use the Cast feature, is it like WiFi?  (You search, then the device is saved)  or do you have to search for the Chromecast every time?

3 hours ago, acute said:

@ChrLzs

Can I ask you a question, please?

When you use the Cast feature, is it like WiFi?  (You search, then the device is saved)  or do you have to search for the Chromecast every time?

Once you've set it up.. (evil laughter..... :) ... actually it wasn't too difficult - I read the instructions!) it remembers your wifi, so you just: 

1. Turn on the TV and change it to the appropriate HDMI connection (might be called "AV" or "Input Source" on your remote.

2. On your phone, enable your WIFI Hotspot (on Android you can just drag the top line downwards to see that option.

3. Wait for about ten seconds and you'll see the Chromecast waking up and connecting.  Then, go into whatever application you are wanting to 'cast' (in my case - Youtube), and you should see a new little icon at the top with an arrow pointing at a TV - click that and youtube will cast any videos you play to your tv.  You still choose stuff on your phone, but it will display on the TV in glorious HD where available.  Other apps may vary...

Once you get used to it, it's easy, and it just .. works..  I'm a fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Once you've set it up.. (evil laughter..... :) ... actually it wasn't too difficult - I read the instructions!) it remembers your wifi, so you just: 

1. Turn on the TV and change it to the appropriate HDMI connection (might be called "AV" or "Input Source" on your remote.

2. On your phone, enable your WIFI Hotspot (on Android you can just drag the top line downwards to see that option.

3. Wait for about ten seconds and you'll see the Chromecast waking up and connecting.  Then, go into whatever application you are wanting to 'cast' (in my case - Youtube), and you should see a new little icon at the top with an arrow pointing at a TV - click that and youtube will cast any videos you play to your tv.  You still choose stuff on your phone, but it will display on the TV in glorious HD where available.  Other apps may vary...

Once you get used to it, it's easy, and it just .. works..  I'm a fan.

You might not even have to do step no. 1 if your HDMI connection allows it.  My Panasonic TV can turn on my PS4; and, my PS4 and Chromecast will "change the channel" when you start using them.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

You might not even have to do step no. 1

Yes, my SCART switches the input source.

• Like 1

@ChrLzs

It works kind-of the opposite way to what I was thinking.

Very helpful, thanks. :tu:

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, acute said:

@ChrLzs

It works kind-of the opposite way to what I was thinking.

Very helpful, thanks. :tu:

No problems.  And yes, my TV, while big, is quite old and hasn't got any fancy-nancy auto input switching.. :) 

Also, I know what you mean about it sorta being backwards - I still occasionally feel a desire to go up to the tv and touch the screen.. Strangely, that don't work.... :D 

• Haha 1