Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
acute

Question about Casting Video to TV

59 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

seanjo
59 minutes ago, acute said:

I get a huge amount of mobile data at a great price. More than I could ever use, in fact.

Cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

The internet seems to be split on whether I can or can't do Casting using my Android phone and a Chromecast device.

 

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/1682136?hl=en

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/1217345?hl=en

 

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
11 minutes ago, acute said:

The internet seems to be split on whether I can or can't do Casting using my Android phone and a Chromecast device.

 

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/1682136?hl=en

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/1217345?hl=en

 

:D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/usb-c-hdmi-cable/s?k=usb+c+to+hdmi+cable

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glorybebe
3 hours ago, acute said:

The internet seems to be split on whether I can or can't do Casting using my Android phone and a Chromecast device.

 

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/1682136?hl=en

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/1217345?hl=en

 

If you have tonnes of data, it is worth trying.   Chromecast is around $40.  The whole issue is your device.  What device do you have?  What are the processors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
7 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

If you have tonnes of data, it is worth trying.   Chromecast is around $40.  The whole issue is your device.  What device do you have?  What are the processors?

I use a fairly new Android phone, so it should be ok.

The issue is..... Can my phone be the device connecting to the Chromecast and act as the connecting router at the same time?

 

Edited by acute

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glorybebe
Just now, acute said:

I use a fairly new Android phone, so it should be ok.

The issue is..... Can my phone be the device connecting to the Chromecast and act as the connecting router at the same time.

Well, that's why i asked what you have.  I sell cell phones for a living.  I get people saying they have a newer cell phone when in reality it is a three year old device :D.  The newer, within the last year, have stronger processors which can handle multiple actions at the same time.  But, you also need to know the output of the wifi hotspot.  Some devices will shut down the Hotspot if it is drawing too much data, which can be changed in settings on most devices.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
15 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Some devices will shut down the Hotspot if it is drawing too much data,

I used to tether my laptop to this phone (until it broke a few months back :angry:) and I never had my hotspot shut down.

 

15 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

But, you also need to know the output of the wifi hotspot.

Where would I find that info?

All I've come up with so far is software not hardware:

Screenshot_20200901-172518.png.9b9905fa1de05d94e0befba4fa77761f.png

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

It's a Moto G7 Power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

I got this from Wikipedia:

802.11 a/b/g/n 2.4GHz & 5GHz

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glorybebe

If it was able to support your laptop, it will support a chromecast.  Were you watching streaming or surfing?  Streaming takes way more power and more data than surfing.   Being it is an LG, keep a watch on your battery consumption.  The LGs have been known for weaker batteries for prolonged use.  Don't use the phone and have it charging, this can cause batteries to swell.

Personally, I love Chromecast.  It is easy to use and enables you to turn your TV into a smart TV.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
6 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Were you watching streaming or surfing? 

Mainly surfing, with the occasional half hour of YouTube.

Edit:

I just remembered, I watched the Spacex launch for about 2 hours.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glorybebe
1 minute ago, acute said:

Mainly surfing, with the occasional half hour of YouTube.

So, streaming will put more stress on your phone's processors.  Don't do it for prolonged times and it should be fine

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

I'll buy a Chromecast, then!

Thank you so much for your help. :nw:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glorybebe
1 minute ago, acute said:

I'll buy a Chromecast, then!

Thank you so much for your help. :nw:

Anytime!:tu:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

@glorybebe

Sorry.....

Just one more question, please. :D

How is the Chromecast powered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glorybebe
4 minutes ago, acute said:

@glorybebe

Sorry.....

Just one more question, please. :D

How is the Chromecast powered?

It comes with a power cord, so it will need to be plugged in

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
Just now, glorybebe said:

It comes with a power cord, so it will need to be plugged in

Thanks. :tu:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

The HDMI cable is very short.

Your dongle just dangles! :unsure2:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glorybebe
3 minutes ago, acute said:

Thanks. :tu:

If you ever need help with your cell phone,  just message me.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

:tsu:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

Well..... That's it!  No going back.

I bought a Chromecast 2 for £28 ($38) from a reputable chain.

 

For anyone thinking of doing similar.....

There are a lot of unofficial Chromecasts out there, and the reviewers say they are useless.

 

Edited by acute
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glorybebe
30 minutes ago, acute said:

Well..... That's it!  No going back.

I bought a Chromecast 2 for £28 ($38) from a reputable chain.

 

For anyone thinking of doing similar.....

There are a lot of unofficial Chromecasts out there, and the reviewers say they are useless.

 

Chromecast has agreements with the companies it streams, the knock offs don't, so hit or miss whether they work

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

There are loads of cheap copies available on Amazon, eBay, and elsewhere, but I would never buy anything but the genuine article.

I will sometimes trust the Chinese to make a PSU, charger, or adapter, but not something this complicated and so cheap.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

My Google Chromecast has arrived, and it's half the size I was expecting. I'll be surprised if it works, because I think it's empty! :lol:

Now I've felt the weight of it, I can understand why most people are happy to dangle the dongle from their HDMI socket.

(I have a few things I need to do before I can try it out, but I'm looking forward to it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChrLzs
4 hours ago, acute said:

My Google Chromecast has arrived, and it's half the size I was expecting. I'll be surprised if it works, because I think it's empty! :lol:

Now I've felt the weight of it, I can understand why most people are happy to dangle the dongle from their HDMI socket.

(I have a few things I need to do before I can try it out, but I'm looking forward to it)

:) Yep...  Exactly my thoughts, and mine does just dangle invisibly behind the TV...  But of all the accessories I have, it gets by far the most use.  I have quite a few hobbies and interests (eg space, fast (or any) cars, the US political trainwreck, the best comedians (eg Tim Minchin), old TV series (eg the Two Ronnies, even Morecambe and Wise), boxing /UFC and a whole pile of other stuff that I can idly browse thru on Youtube Premium.  Where possible it displays in HD and the quality is generally excellent, and the whole experience is so much better than lookin' at a tiny phone (even tho you have to do that to actually select the stuff).

Good luck with the install - let us know if you have any difficulties..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.