Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
acute

Question about Casting Video to TV

59 posts in this topic

acute
7 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

old TV series (eg the Two Ronnies, even Morecambe and Wise)

I forgot you were in Oz!  That explains your good taste in vintage comedy. :yes:

As I've found out, it's sometimes possible to prevent the 'dongle dangle' by using the built-in magnet, but one of my HDMI sockets is at the very bottom left of my TV, so I'm hoping the Chromecast will sit flat.

13 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Good luck with the install - let us know if you have any difficulties..

Thanks!

If it doesn't work, I will be pestering everyone I can get hold of. :D

• Like 1

acute

@ChrLzs

Can I ask you a question, please?

When you use the Cast feature, is it like WiFi?  (You search, then the device is saved)  or do you have to search for the Chromecast every time?

ChrLzs
3 hours ago, acute said:

@ChrLzs

Can I ask you a question, please?

When you use the Cast feature, is it like WiFi?  (You search, then the device is saved)  or do you have to search for the Chromecast every time?

Once you've set it up.. (evil laughter..... :) ... actually it wasn't too difficult - I read the instructions!) it remembers your wifi, so you just: 

1. Turn on the TV and change it to the appropriate HDMI connection (might be called "AV" or "Input Source" on your remote.

2. On your phone, enable your WIFI Hotspot (on Android you can just drag the top line downwards to see that option.

3. Wait for about ten seconds and you'll see the Chromecast waking up and connecting.  Then, go into whatever application you are wanting to 'cast' (in my case - Youtube), and you should see a new little icon at the top with an arrow pointing at a TV - click that and youtube will cast any videos you play to your tv.  You still choose stuff on your phone, but it will display on the TV in glorious HD where available.  Other apps may vary...

Once you get used to it, it's easy, and it just .. works..  I'm a fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Golden Duck
2 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Once you've set it up.. (evil laughter..... :) ... actually it wasn't too difficult - I read the instructions!) it remembers your wifi, so you just: 

1. Turn on the TV and change it to the appropriate HDMI connection (might be called "AV" or "Input Source" on your remote.

2. On your phone, enable your WIFI Hotspot (on Android you can just drag the top line downwards to see that option.

3. Wait for about ten seconds and you'll see the Chromecast waking up and connecting.  Then, go into whatever application you are wanting to 'cast' (in my case - Youtube), and you should see a new little icon at the top with an arrow pointing at a TV - click that and youtube will cast any videos you play to your tv.  You still choose stuff on your phone, but it will display on the TV in glorious HD where available.  Other apps may vary...

Once you get used to it, it's easy, and it just .. works..  I'm a fan.

You might not even have to do step no. 1 if your HDMI connection allows it.  My Panasonic TV can turn on my PS4; and, my PS4 and Chromecast will "change the channel" when you start using them.

• Like 2

acute
15 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

You might not even have to do step no. 1

Yes, my SCART switches the input source.

• Like 1

acute

@ChrLzs

It works kind-of the opposite way to what I was thinking.

Very helpful, thanks. :tu:

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

ChrLzs
15 hours ago, acute said:

@ChrLzs

It works kind-of the opposite way to what I was thinking.

Very helpful, thanks. :tu:

No problems.  And yes, my TV, while big, is quite old and hasn't got any fancy-nancy auto input switching.. :) 

Also, I know what you mean about it sorta being backwards - I still occasionally feel a desire to go up to the tv and touch the screen.. Strangely, that don't work.... :D 

• Haha 1

Cosmic Horror

Hi Acute just get one of these:

Android Media Centre

You connect it by HDMI, it turns your TV into a smart tv, but better as its android there are all sorts of apps and features you can install, easiest to do it with Google Play, and they are really cheap. 

• Like 1

acute
2 hours ago, Cosmic Horror said:

Hi Acute just get one of these:

I've already bought a Chromecast.

Thanks, anyway.