Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

It's official - fish do feel pain

Althalus

LONDON (Reuters) - Anglers take note -- scientists say that after years of debate, they now have proof that fish feel pain.

Animal activists are on the warpath after a study released on Wednesday showed how rainbow trout react to discomfort.

They condemned fishing as cruel and demanded an end to the sport -- but anglers themselves dismissed the study.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Yahoo News

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• j6p

• Althalus

• Bizarro

• Skep_Tick

Top Posters In This Topic

Dammit...I knew they didn't like it when I'd hook up those little minnies I used to catch those big mouth bass. I kinda had the feeling that the bass didn't like it either. You know, I'll bet the worms didn't like the hook either.

I heard lobsters and star fish don't feel pain, something to do with not having a centralized brain. I look at pain as a signal to get the heck away from whatever is causing the pain its a self preservation thing. Its like when a kitten gets hurt and runs away. Its not running away from us its running away from the pain it feels.

My Bear ran away three years ago. His brother, his 1/2 sister his mother and Tina kinda gave up on him. Not me, unless I see a body he ain't dead.

Dan, do you have any pics of Bear? id love to see what that fella looked like- especially since he's made such a mark on you.

Yes I do Damian and thank you for recognizing how I feel about my little guy. Tina and I have a special bond with our animals we've had them for many years. Tina's horse once lived in our basement but I had to put my foot down. We, just last year, built her a beautiful barn. I brused two ribs and hurt my liver comming down a ladder (fast), got several nails in my hands and feet, many many large splinters and various other cuts bruses and abrasions building that barn. But I certainly put my foot down. Cinnamon Girl does not live in our basement any longer. laugh.gif

I would like to submit a picture of my family and I will soon.

I think they can feel pain, but not in the sense that humans do. Study was probably sponsored by an animal rights organization.

hi Skep!

Study was carried out by PETA, for a more balanced view try

this

darn it....linkie not working but it did mention that the PETA study was based on RSPCA documents 20 years old

Edited by albaqwerty

what a los of cobblers! isnt it obvious that fish experience pain?? Cant believe its taken al this time to muster that suggestion.... mad.gif